Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this question has been asked before, but does anyt one know if the Ebay (cheap) intakes are decent? Also do they work with the MAF sensor?

Thanks![???:)]

·
Registered
511 Posts
They are not decent from what I have heard. You get what you pay for, always remember that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figued but its just a damn pipe!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
depends on which e-bay intake...if your talking about the short ram. they do the job, the cai rusts on the welds, the bracket breaks, the maf doesn't fit correctly which will throw bogus signals to the ecu...

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Short rams work well although I would suggest you get a K&N cone. I have also seen someone use the E-bay short ram pipes for use with the Focussport ITG filter and it worked really well. It is another alternative for those who don't want to pop a huge amount for the Short ram intakes.

·
Registered
845 Posts
the ebay short ram intakes are aluminum tubes which get hot easily and dissipate the heat into the intake flow (which sux), but if you do some rigging, you can get some cool air to the filter and tone that down a bit. (leave stock snorkel in place, and just yank out the airbox itself) It's very difficult to fit the elbow at the TB onto the intake tube, and it's difficult to get your MAF to fit into the cone filter they provide. I know because I have an ebay short intake installed. Good luck, and plan for more labor than you think to put the cheapybay intake together.
BUT the air rushing through that aluminum tube sounds pretty cool[thumb] since the hollow aluminum tube amplifies the sound of the rushing air....and the air's really movin too...you can feel it breeze past your fingers if you pull the TB with your hand in front of it....try that with your stock snorkel, but don't stand their too long waiting for it!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick response. I was looking at the Short ram, and I dont want to pay 200 bucks for a AEM. I just got my focus about 3 months ago and am happy with it but I need to go faster! If you get a FC T/B do you need the intake? I am looking for the bang for my buck here

·
Registered
845 Posts
you'll still see some improvement in throttle response with just a TB, but don't expect great performance without giving it some air to feed off of...also, an intake and TB are nice under the hood, but don't do much with a bottlenecking stock exhaust. You may see a little better gas mileage, but nothing to write home about.
If you plan on doing the exhaust, this is a pretty good start to more hp. Next step would be a cat-back, then flex-pipe, then a street header and cat at same time (an aftermarket header will fry your stock cat faster than normal).
After that, you'll really notice hp change at you wheel rubber!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! So should I do the full exahust first then go for the intake andTB?

Thanks for all the help I am new here. Also I will be AutoX the Focus this spring.
I ran a few this summer, boy is that fun.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would (actually, I did). The exhaust is more of a bottleneck than the intake, but the intake is no champ itself. Replace your exhaust from the back forward (in the order I listed above), and then do the intake. If you want some more air temporarily until you have the money to complete everything, a K&N panel filter is only $20-$30 and replaces the stock filter. If you get that filter, be sure to buy a filter recharge kit (like $15). You'll need this recharge kit for any high-flow (foam) filter you buy from now on, and one recharge kit may last longer than your car if you don't drive through a lot of dust and debris.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i have an intake that my sister bought me from ebay but i havent installed it cause it seem to be missing two pieces that are needed. as soon as i get that taken care of ill let you know how that turns out. by the way welcome to the forum

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have the ebay CAI, looks great, works great. Just dont overtighten the mounts or the welds will break. As the engine torques the intake has to flex, if it doesnt, something will give.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
im not sure what its called but im missing the piece that looks like an elbow. thats pretty much what i need to get it on my car

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If yo're going to buy on Ebay, just check the seller feedback and see if anyone else has bought the same intake then email them asking how they liked it. This will give you an idea what to expect before U even buy it.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
jisturm i just got the other parts to the intake i was missing. hopefully this can help me out and i can put it on

·
Registered
56 Posts
What you save in $$, you will make up in extra parts and especially labor on ebay intakes. I have one now and although I agree that an upwards of $200 for a "good" shorty intake is a complete waste, plan on having to do some custom installing to get the ebay to fit right. I had to spend about $20 on adapters and it took me about an hour to put mine on. They should only take about 20 minutes if that gives you any idea, plus the time to drive and get the extra pieces. My advise, look around on the forums and wait for a used AEM or something to come up for $80 or so. It'll be worth it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
well for me its too late cause i was just missing a piece and now that i have it i have the intake ready to go on my car. i know ill find a way to do it and i just hope it doesnt take me that long. i do appreciate the comment on the ebay intakes tye. thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts