Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I am on ebay all the time lookin for deals, and I keep coming across these short-ram air intakes for like 35 bucks. Just wondering if anyone can justify the extra 100-150 bucks needed to get a focus sport or AEM intake over one of these cheap ones.

2. If i plan on getting a turbo kit (as soon my bank account agrees with me), so are engine mods other than int/exh/cams pointless? I don't want to waste my money if i dont have to.

BTW: I just got my zx3 like 2 weeks ago, so i've been scrambling around gathering all the info I can on mods.

lookin forward to postin' with u guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and i'm assuming that those cheap ass intakes are essentially made of the same materials as all the rest.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Unless you are ready to spend $ 4000+ on a turbo setup, please do some research on turboing your car.

Ebay intakes are cheap and break, they are garbage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, but i've reaserched turbo setups that are listing for about 2600-3000 (an FMAX kit) that HCI magazine tested up to about 1.5 bars of boost and a stock zetec did fine. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 whp with a t3/t4 hybrid. A buddy of mine has a shop where we did a single turbo conversion on a 94 supra, so the install will be free. i really see no downsides to the turbo. I am aware of the tuning needed to ensure reliability.

i've read all over different forums and i refuse to spent 3500 in bolt-ons only to run 15s.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have an ebay intake, i got it for 22 plus shipping, and i love it, no problems, and it added a noticeable power gain, i say go for it, the 200 dollar ones are the same thing, dont let everyone else talk u out of it, they are just as good of quality as all the others.

anthony

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had an Ebay CAI intake on my car for a few months. I threw on a K&N filter because the filter it came with was pretty cheap. No problems so far. If you have the $$ I would go for the more expensive intakes (AEM, Volant), as they are made better. However, if you are tight on cash, I would say go for the ebay one. Just make sure you find a good seller who has sold a lot of them. I would check out his feedback to, just to see what others think.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the cheepest ive seen the FMAX fit is 4000, and it may or may not inclued a chip for fuel managmetn. you could look into Toms kit. and if your gonna turbo dont get an intake cause the turbo will come with one. sort of a waste of money even though its 35 dollars.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
2000kona said:
the 200 dollar ones are the same thing, dont let everyone else talk u out of it, they are just as good of quality as all the others.

anthony
are you smoking [email protected] you notice you get gains for the first 15 minutes of driving but then it declines? well thats because the crappy metal gets heated up and begins heating the air entering the engine. and what iceman, volant, or fc intake is made of that crappy metal? none. by the way just wait till your intake mounts start to break because of the junky spot welds. yup have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts