Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
this is what is known as the BOMZ style intake. some people have it and like it. fit is OK, but the mounts are prone to break bc of all the flex the engine sees on WOT acceleration.

personally, not a big fan of intakes that make you take apart your MAF sensor, but whatever. just make sure you install a bypass valve so that you don't suck up water into the engine.

Mike

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
That be the plain o'l CAI sold on ebay like breath mints at a halitosis convention.

1. I hope it fits.
2. Like whiteboyslo said, "install a bypass valve so that you don't suck up water in the engine."
3. Get one of these

If you can, look through the sellers feedback and see if you can find another one he's sold and then send the buyer an email and ask him about the intake and the install. Doing a little investigating now saves a lot of headaches and disappointments later.

==|=======>

·
Registered
228 Posts
That ebay intake looks exactly like the AEM cold air intake...like mirror image exact. On a sidenote I've had the AEM intake and it wasn't that great because as someone mentioned the brackets are prone to break and one did indeed break on me (the one that screws into the coil pack). I'd stay with the stock intake over the AEM and clone CAI.

·
Registered
123 Posts
he gave me 60 for it and it was topnotch man,but keep in mind it was the same look but it was a diff company that sold one on ebay.imo look around alot on ebay before u buy and do some homework on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Intakes

I am always amazed at the price of intakes. They are a bent piece of aluminum tubing usually. The vast majority of a companies cost is in research and development. If an intake has dual walls or some other difference, that is excluded.

The only development most companies do on an intake is checking the stock tubings diameter and the test bends to the piping. There really isnt much difference. I knew someone who made their own. Mandrel bent some polished tubing, cut it to fit and installed it with a K&N cone filter. Worked great!

I wish someone could justify the costs of intakes to me. I guess I must be missing something. I understand profit and marketing costs, but I also know what price fixing is. Most intakes are priced at a similar level. This doesnt mean that is what they are worth from a performance stand point. Only what the market will bear to produce the profits they want.

Dont be fooled. Price does not always indicate quality.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
prices do indicate quality. u really dont know much about intakes...

that intake can crack, especially if it gets cold, made of a crappy plastic, mounting brackets will break, has a cheap ass filter, will suck up dirt and water easily, replaces the maf housing which is bad, and has a very bad fitment.

expensive intakes like the volant are expensive for a reason, volant is made of a high quality temp resisting plastic, wont break, has a very thick box to block heat, can use a stock snorkel or svt snorkel, uprgadable for a functional ram air hood, and keeps the stock maf housing, and leaves the option open for a 70 mm maf.

its a lot more than an aluminum tube and an k&n rip off filter, if thats what ur satisfied with, pay 40 bucks on ebay

·
Registered
123 Posts
it worked fine for my friend,he got a really good intake,i wish i could remember the name of the company but he got it cheap bc its a new company and they just tryin to slowly get big.think about it tho if u wanted to get ur name out and build up ebay would be a great way to do it,u could sell ur early products cheap and have somewhat of a competitve market but not one that will be too competitve,if u wanna start off i dont think it would be best to go against names like injen or aem even if your product could be just as good for sake of crediblity issues.but thats my 2¢ on this.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I was skeptical about getting the Iceman intake because it was just plastic and larger diameter tubing.
Well, I own a Iceman and I paid less than $200 for it.
It's plastic all right. Durable and heat resistant.
You get what you pay for.

I would of got the Volant but I've heard it's loud as a shorty intake and I just needed gain with less sound. So I went with the Iceman.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
its not a small company trying to get big dudeman. they just make low quality look a like parts and sell them off as their own using cheaper materials and parts, get a more expensive intake and u will like it a lot more, get more life out of the filter, and have a lot more options for upgrade, ive know more than a handful of people that all had probs with this intake and upgrade in the near future.

ice man uses a pretty crazy material for theres but it keeps intake charges down real well. volant isnt as loud as any of the short rams i had on my car, definately not as loud as the mac, close to the aem. sounds good tho :) the ractive was the loudest.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Intake Pricing

Never did I say all intakes are created equally. If anyone wants to convince me there is no name recognition going into pricing, they are working on a lost cause. It is a simple business matter.

I was comparing apples to apples, not oranges. Aluminum CAIs vs. aluminum CAIs, not alum. CAIs vs. plastic. I also meant using equal filters.

Some things are worth the cash. The filter, yes. Many, not all, intake tubing is VERY similar. Often, a company will copy anothers product or even sell theres to be rebadged and sold under another name.

What matters most is what you have to spend and your goals. If you want something to enjoy and it is in your price range, enjoy it. Many sellers on E-bay have quality products at much lower prices. Just research your purchase and be sure to ask those who have purchsed the item.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
brand names sell good because they are known for making good products and will continue making good products. with the exception of companies like... injen, hks, and a few others... most companies u know u will always get a good product from. not just because their name sounds cool, id never hesitate to put a volant on anything, same thing with ice man, borla, ford racing, and others. but if u come to me with something with a ghetto fab name like bomz with a cheap looking build quality, id turn a shoulder.

the intake tubing that is similar, is all going to be on the lower end intakes.... similar once again among the higher end intakes

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a Ebay Cai . it works ok. I will probably upgrade eventually but it is a good experiment for a newbie. As I was when I did it. NOTE: Make sure they give you the Nuts and washers for the Rubber mounting peices. They don't have them Anywhere, I looked.

·
Registered
123 Posts
tru but in all honesty i think my friend got a better gain from his cai than from my aem shorty.dunno if that should have happened but it sure seemed like it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts