Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there are 1000 threads on this topic but I could not find a thread that would help me with my specific product. Also I am quite new and don't know much when it comes to installing headlights etc. That's why I came to you guys. If you could help or direct me in the right direction that would be much appreciated. :)

PROBLEM: HID Lowbeams won't turn on + Low Beam Bulb Error Msg. Everything else works.

I recently purchased a pair of headlights from ebay w/led (parking lights not drl). They seem to be the same headlights that angelius974 has.

Here is what the wires and ballast look like:

It should be a 'D2H' HID Bulb 5000k [HID bifocal projector xenon kit ]
[Bulb]=[BlkBox?]=[Ballast]=[Error Warning Canceler]=[BlkBox?]=<

Additionally the kit came with these:

which seemed far too short to connect to the battery and ground positions. + i didn't like the fins.

So I bought a Kensun Relay Kit (Universal)

I connected the chain of wires from the HID/housing to the relay harness (leaving out those short sockets with the fins).
I attached the ground wires to the metal of the car where I've seen most ppl attach it:

and the + wire to the battery:

Everything works fine except for the Low Beam HID lights =/
High Beams work, LED Parking Lights work, Turn signals work....

- Checked some threads and the install guides seem to be tailored a little different to what my HID wire setup, imo (i may be wrong). I was thinking I need a resistor, but my friend said I won't need any with my Ballast and set up. (He has an 2013 ST w/ Spyder Headlights + HIDs & Resistors).

- I'm under the impression that the Relay Harness is supposed to cancel the error msg... however one of the little black boxes linked with my HID wires says "Warning Error Canceler" or something like that. I was wondering if having two of them would cause problems or something.

- The relay harness has an extra socket...which i think is for a DRL/ on/off switch if i were to add one. I don't have anything to plug in there/ the need to.

I love the lights even tho the fit is not as great as factory and the quality is okay. I just need to get the Low Beam HIDs working so I can drive around at night haha. I have everything wired up, not sure whats wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have those exact same lights on my 2014 ST.

I used the Morimoto D2H Elite HID kit with the Canbus Relay Harness.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-d2h.html#.VA0PZa7n9Ds

Mine plugged in and fired right up. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I suppose if I can't get the wiring right, I could always get a different HID kit. But I'd prefer to use the one that I have first. I checked the site, which specific Canbus did you get. I'm not familiar with all the terms.

This may help
Thanks, I actually came across this diagram in another thread. The diagram seems to depict a setup that is slightly different from mine, so I'm not sure how to replicate it or apply it to my setup. For example, I only have 1 output from the bulb which leads to the several black boxes and ballast. there is no separate output where I would attach a resistor. Also several other parts are different. The 'Ballast Chain' connects to the relay i bought which has the ground wire.
This has been the problem I've been having: my wires don't seem to match up to diagrams I've seen in other threads...to my knowledge.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would think that kit included maybe more useful to the oversea models. As long as you have two ballasts, two resistors, a wiring harness, it should have at least turned on, or one side shouldve powered on.i would run through your connections again or Check the fuse on the relay. Last resort would be to buy a kit, this diagram included from the company I bought it from matched up to the parts I was using with no problems

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was it easy to open up the ebay housings to put the Morimotos inside?

Yes.
The back of the housing has "twist" caps.....Un twist the cap, exposes the empty socket or light. I opted to get this version of headlight WITHOUT the HID kit that the seller of the lights use....as I knew I wanted the Morimoto kit.

I did however modify the cap to allow for the HID bulb wires to neatly pass through the bottom of the cap...while the cap is closed...applied a little exterior silicone to cover the hole and is now water tight. I mounted the ballasts on the inside of the frame/fender gap.

Time of install - 30-40 minutes (including removal of stock units) .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I suppose if I can't get the wiring right, I could always get a different HID kit. But I'd prefer to use the one that I have first. I checked the site, which specific Canbus did you get. I'm not familiar with all the terms.

No problem. You won't need a different HID kit, just the relay harness.

The harness I purchased was the "Canbus H11/H9/H8 "

As mentioned, once plugged in, each side fired right up. No issues, flickering or bulb out warnings. Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Connect the grounds directly to the ground stud, just next to the battery.
^ I would try this first!

It sounds silly to ask this, but did you just bolt the negative down onto the paint, or did you remove the paint so it actually gets a good ground?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I attached the ground rings on bare metal underneath the plastic clips, painted metal washer, and the screw n bolt holding it in place. The metal was silver unlike the painted SGM. I guess I could move it to the ground bolt near the battery...not sure where that is but i guess i'll find it. I also thought i should double check if the plugs are plugged in the right way versus flipping 180....
hopefully i can check these today or tomorrow

thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I spent a while after work checking everything. I checked the ground wire and made sure it was on bare metal. I even scraped some more. I couldn't reach the ground bolt on the battery because it was far back + the other side couldn't reach. The fuse looked good, same with the alignment of the plugs.

I connected the shorter wires with the find that came with the headlight and stuck one fin in the + bolt and the - touching a random bolt that holds the battery down. The hid bulb lit up :) do I guess that means I just need longer versions of the short wires that came with the bulb + o rings. Either the relay harness is faulty or I just simply don't need it because I already have an error canceler.

That being said do any of you know where I can get ...headlight socket wire extensions ... Not sure what the term is. I guess worst case I could attempt to modify the short ones and make my own

Attachments

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
You need to have a PERFECT ground for HID. This is why you connect directly to the ground stud. Buy longer wires if you have to.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wiring diagram makes more sense now. I didn't realize the headlight power plug was inside my bulb housing and that the third wire from the relay harness would need to connect to them to power the HIDS. I removed the plastic from the harness plug and fed the fins/wires into the bulb housing to stick into the headlight plug. It works! with some issues...

- initially the headlights flickered several different colors...but after that they are steady.
- there is a constant buzzing while the HID is on. From other threads it seems to be coming from the relay....I believe the solution is to use Warning Capacitors or Resistors. However in the case of our car only Resistors work...apparently.

I will most likely get these:
http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?Resistor_Link_50W_6_ohm-pid601.html
or these
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/morimoto-hd-load-resistors.html
^ i would have to figure out a way to adjust these to fit 2x + passing thru the plug.

suggestions on safe spots to put the resistors/how to mount? (I'll have wire extensions so i have options)

p.s. sorry this turned out to be basically a repeat of everyone's priors problems. thanks again

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yes.
The back of the housing has "twist" caps.....Un twist the cap, exposes the empty socket or light. I opted to get this version of headlight WITHOUT the HID kit that the seller of the lights use....as I knew I wanted the Morimoto kit.

I did however modify the cap to allow for the HID bulb wires to neatly pass through the bottom of the cap...while the cap is closed...applied a little exterior silicone to cover the hole and is now water tight. I mounted the ballasts on the inside of the frame/fender gap.

Time of install - 30-40 minutes (including removal of stock units) .
Thanks for the info!

Do you happen to have a link for the HID kit? The cheapest one I see from that seller is $399+$169 shipping but that has projectors and everything in there.

I think for just the headlamps, I'd want it to be $400 or less, since I can get OEMs from Ford directly (left and right) for $430 or so (but I'd obviously have to pay someone to bake it open and do the install).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts