Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This subject has been beaten into the ground and I know that everyone has their different takes on what should be done for getting air to your engine. I'm bored though and now I wish I'd have done this months ago.

I've been datalogging and bugging Tom way too much (sorry :( ) and my intake air temps have been really high, obviously because I had a cone filter on my MAF taking in hot engine air. I really don't like the stock air snorkel setup, so I decided to make my own simple solution to bring in ambient air without using the stock snorkel.

TL : DR: ultimately I replaced the cone filter with a stock airbox and a 3" flexible tube (some autozone spectre crap, you can use any tube I'm just lazy) and cut out the bottom of the airbox to fit the tube in.

Here is what I had before:

I traced around the end of the 3" tube's rubber end on the stock airbox, then used a drill to put a bunch of holes around the circle until I could break out the plastic where the stock snorkel connected. Really you could just use a hole saw or something else but it's not hard to cut out. After I got the majority of the plastic out, I used a cheap dremel to smooth out the hole so it would fit the rubber end of the tube.

Solution for plugging silencer hole is up to you, I did it with a piece of plastic and a bolt+washers+super glue.

The flex tube basically just gets zip-tied in a couple spots and I routed it to the front left of the car, right down in line with the front lip. Intake temps stay down where they should be now!

I was lucky enough to find a clean K&N drop-in in the junkyard so that was a freebie with the stock intake box (I threw my original one away long ago lol)

Much better:

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
Thats a pretty darn good idea on the cheap. What is your tube going to your throttle body?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Is this kinda like a DIY iceman intake? Just replace the snorkel with bigger tubing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually had an iceman setup on it, so that tube is the iceman tube. I removed the iceman snorkel and focus sport shroud, put stock box back in and drilled it out to fit a larger tube.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
So Is there an increase in your mpg or Lower/higher end power than before?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I'm getting more timing than before, since intake temps are like 60 degrees lower lol. The car feels massively better and my bottom end has returned. My mileage I don't know yet but I'm sure it would be better if I could keep my foot out of it. Top end hasn't changed which is good.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
Well that's quite a difference. I have an SRI right now. I'm seeing about a 2 mpg gain. Just curious. I know about speculation and every car is different.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get tuned? I highly suggest it if not. Found out my knock sensor isn't working lol. Looking at the data logs has shown me so much about the car.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,126 Posts
No I have no tune. I know it would help but I can't justify spending 400 to do it. I don't plan on putting headers or exhaust or anything on. I have the SPI engine as well that could drop a valve anytime.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
I need an intake and tune. The only issue is they aren't in this 16 year old's budget at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts