Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently bought a 2002 focus ZTS. i am interested in modding it a little, but nothing crazy. i am interested in interior mods rather than anything under the hood since i know nothing about cars, except how to drive one. i am looking for cheap DIY mods. i am only 16 so its not like i can go out buying real expensive stuff. i will probably add some different color LEDs to the inside within the near future. so does anyone have any suggestions on cheap things that will make my car more original and cool?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey there, welcome to FF!

Could do the LED swap like you said (check oznium.com -- all sorts of LED and colored light goodness)

You could also paint the interior pieces to something more to your liking, would just take some primer, paint, sanding, etc.. there are posts around to guide you along with that.

Check in here too, it has a HUGE list of all manner of mods:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65218

A simple, and cheap, exterior mod would be to do up clear corners. No idea what color your car is, but on my black car, they look very nice. And they were like $25 shipped off ebay.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Torradan covered it all, definitely check out the link above he posted. There's a ton of HOW TO's in there (took me forever to find them all)......

Again, Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!! [thumb]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to FF! As torradan said, clear corners are definitely a nice looking addition to any focus. I just recently ordered some for my black sedan, so I'm anxious with the results.

I think I might be just like you. I'm 19, but unfortunately don't have the income to do many expensive performance mods (that and I'm satisfied with the performance of my SPI right now), but I do like to cosmetic modifications, to make the car "my own". Good luck with whatever you do, and remember, post some pics once you've done them!

Cheers.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
oznium.com is great for cold cathodes! easy to wire up to. PM me and i'll give you some easy instructions.

If you want other interior mods, I'd suggest the Pedal covers off ebay (steeda sells the same ones for $12 more) they go for ~$20 and look and feel great.

you can check out these short throw shifters and shift knobs, quick and easy install. http://www.newedgeperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=58

Painting the interior of the car can be expensive if you use expensive paint like myself. I used DuPont paint on my interior about 2 year ago, and looks great still. No chips, or flaking, it's factory quality. (some people don't like bright, outstanding colors. It's too distracting, so It's best to choose a color that's not too "Hey look I painted my interior!"

that's why I solely recommend DuPont automotive paint.

·
Registered
527 Posts
^^
very nice paintin job. [clap]

and welcome to ff. lotsa help and tips around these here parts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
welcome! A relatively easy and cheap mod to do would be to switch out your guages to another color. It really changes the entire interior. I know this is gonna sound horrible... and I will probably be crucified for suggesting it, but you could also head over to pep boys or auto zone and sometimes they have like "cosmetic ends" to exhaust pipes you could buy. Its a lot cheaper than buying a new exhaust and as long as you arent worried about enhancing the performance it can be worth the price (saw some for 30 bucks if I remember correctly). Liscence plate covers are usually relatively cheap and if you paint them the color of your car, or black, they can be pretty awesome. With my old PT Cruiser I had a big budget so all my time and money was spent on cosmetic work as well. Anyways... best of luck!

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Welcome to FF! Once you start modding, it's very hard to stop. There are quite a few cheap DIY interior mods. Painting works wonders for interiors if done correctly. Glo-guages are nice. Shift knobs are relatively cheap and so are shift boots and they add nice custom touches to the interior also.

·
Registered
532 Posts
just thinkin some more..

-SVT bezel for temp controls (the silvery one)
-billet temp knobs

refemall: I'll take a pic of the clears on a black sedan and mail it to ya.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just picked up my focus ZTS from the dealer today. I am very very impressed with the way it handles. this is my first car and i feel that i have made a very good choice with it. everything about it is good, including the stock system in it (im not going to change it, its good enough for me already, plus im not looking for huge subs or anything). the sun roof is a nice addition. the only thing i noticed was that the back window is not that big making it hard to see anything behind you. ive read about that before getting the focus but its nothing that would change my opinion on it. overall its a great car. maybe after my parents lay up a bit since its so new, i'll start putting lights and stuff on the inside.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Awesome. WELCOME TO FOCUSFANATICS!!!!!

woo!!! *throws up the horns*

Lots of really helpful people here. Just make sure to search before you ask any questions you have and then ask in the right forums and you'll be suprised at the help you can get. :)

Anyway, I'll recommend the foglight mod. Was the first one I did on my first focus (The S2) since it was free. :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
the how-tos are great. There are some on here (FF) and lots other places like team focus. http://www.teamfocus.us/howto.htm

Check out my cardomain page (link in my signature) for cheap mods. I've done everything myself without breaking the bank. Theres even a total cost list on the last page. Modding is a bug, now that I've been doing more, the more I want to do, but dont have the money. Good luck modding, its really fun.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey fcpchip I'm 16 too, so I know what you mean about cheap mods. No one here has mentioned it but if you are looking for a little bit of a meaner sound from your focus you might want to try the resonator removal trick, its free, takes about 2 minutes, and all u need is a screw driver. If u want to do this go to yahoo and do a search for focus resonator removal, or maybe someone here has a post on it. Neways it adds a really nice throaty sound to the car especially when u accelerate hard. You might also want to add an exhaust tip to dress it up a little, depending on what tip you get you might get a little bonus sound. (Plz no ricey 4 1/2 inch tips.) I got a tip at Advance Auto Parts for $9 just a little chrome oval shaped one and it looks great and actually added a really sweet sound to my car. But hey hope you enjoy the focus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts