Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace an engine/transmission/cradle in a 16 focus (2.0l automatic). I also will be swapping out some other suspension parts. Am I able to just drop the whole engine/steering assembly, rebuild it on my new cradle and then put it back in or is it better to do it in pieces?

Car was in an accident and hit a curb or something, cracked the block, tore the transaxle in half. Got an engine and transmission and cradle. I have swapped engines and transmissions before, just never both. Didn't know if I would save some steps if I did it all in one piece or if it would create other problems getting it back in...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I'd remove the whole cradle/engine/trans/suspension.....from the bottom. Lift the body off it.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
The Focus 'cradle' assembly is not as unitized as the Contour platform was, that one you could drop the entire thing as a pallet of sorts. May be easier to drop first the subplate then engine/trans as a unit. That would save likely driveline stress that can easily fault the CV axles.

The rear subplate fastens indirectly onto the engine/trans, it will move around and likely crack your tripod joints in the CVs if you drop the engine weight with it together. If you're real careful you may pull it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
done but

so I finished the swap.(didn't take too many hours, but working 60 hours per week and working on the car being weather dependent takes its toll)

Now the car will turn over but will not start. Cranks, but wont start. Anyone know if you need to get something flashed? I was installing a 1000 mile motor and trans, so did not swap out any sensors etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts