Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya my engine bay is looking pretty sad, tons of dust and stuff, what would be the best way to clean it up to make it look at least halfway presentable? Thanks

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
At the DIY car wash, on a sunny day so you can dry it out with the hood open. Keep the engine running while you're washing it. If it shows signs of trying to die, stop. Avoid the spark plug/wires/distributor/coil area.

Sometimes water can get in around the plug boots.....you might have to remove the plug wires and dry everything out with towels. I've been doing this for years on numerous cars without problems...

Just use your head while you're doing it.....engines can stand some water splashing, but the hi-pressure could be a problem in some places.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Cover all your exposed electronics with aluminum foil (it molds very well to non-flat stuff.), and wet it down lightly.

Buy your favorite eco-friendly degreaser (I use simply green and it works like nothing else), and soak down everything with it. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then go in with a brush. Give everything a good scrubbing, then take some dawn and mix it in with hot hot water, dip your brush, and scrubb all the heavly soiled areas.

After all this (which by the way, a nice tire brush with a long handle works really good), give the engine a really good rinse, making sure you get ALL of the soap and degreaser off of the engine. If you leave any degreaser on there, you run the risk of igniting it while your driving and destroying all your hard work. Some people say not to use a pressure washer, but I always do with no problems, plus It does the job quick.

After your done cleaning, use some compressed air to blow the water out of all the little crevises in the engine bay, and blow off all the electrical areas just to make sure you didn't get them wet.

Now, here's my favorite part. Now that your engine is clean, you can either do one of two things: Let you engine sit in the sun and run the risk of fading you plastics, or use your leaf blower to dry it. Seriously, the leaf blower works wonders, and if you get your engine mostly clean, all you have to do is turn it on and drive it for about 10 minutes to finish the process.

And that's it!!!

P.S., if anyone wants to see this again, I'm gonna post it in the how-to section as a write up.

Reactions: brawls43

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was a detailer at a ford dealership and we just sprayed it down with a degreaser and sprayed it with the hose while it was running..never had a problem

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
spray it with degreeser after driving it, let sit for about 10 minutes, spray with hose, spray with compressed air! then drive to finish drying.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i used some powerful degreaser at the DIY car wash.. just lay it on think.. i didn't have my car running (of course i couldn't seeing as how i had to take off my CAI filter... and if it was running it'd suck up the water..) but yeah.. a few heavey coats of degreaser, then rinse, then repeat. made it real clean real easy..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just don't use diesel with soap like they wanted to do at a car wash in Mexico!!!!!! I told the guy, stop!!!! don't you .........

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
simple green + elbow grese works good. i got an oil leak im fixing next weekend. 5 cans of brake cleaner plus elbow grease lol. the whole inderbody of my car is oil soaked.. anybody want to help?haha

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
simple green + elbow grese works good. i got an oil leak im fixing next weekend. 5 cans of brake cleaner plus elbow grease lol. the whole inderbody of my car is oil soaked.. anybody want to help?haha
i would help if in my area..i think i do a good job on interior cleaning. wanna see a couple of cars i did??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Totally agree on the leaf blower, this is how I dry my car too. F using a shammie, they take too long.

I just did the wash bay thing a couple weeks ago and it worked well. Only thing I noticed was some water got in by the spark plugs past the boots. But I didn't notice this until I got home and had no trouble running. Just used an oil vacuum pump to pump it out, and it was good as ever. In hindsight the water would have likely evaporated off, but I didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
you dont need all that crap. just go to the self car wash with a good pressure washer and put it on engine degreaser. thats why its there. then soak it all down good with the degreaser then put it on high pressure rinse and rinse it all off good. leave the engine idleing. you dont need to cover anything up. i do mine all the time as well as my friends zx3 as well as my 5.4 f150 and my v6 escape and every other car ive ever owned. you can chamois it all off afterwards to keep from water spotting up everything. even if the car was to die and not crank back up (which i highly doubt because ive never had this problem and neither has anyone else ive heard of doing this) just spray wd-40 in your plug boots and on your plugs and on the coil. it will crank back up immidiately.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It Really depends on how dirty the motor is. in most cases on newer high end cars that i work on. They are very simple to clean by simply using brushes and a little soap you just have to be carefull when using a presure washer on an engine some makes can easily get water damage i cover up every elc. thing in site with the exp. of the battery if you have many brushes like i do even house painting brushes work just fine. you can easily scrub every inch of a engine bay. degressers are only used if really badly needed. little do people now degressers can hurt a cars paint finish if it was misted onto it. So just Try using some simple brushes and elbow power. and that should do just fine. focuses are fine to use a power washer on if you need alittle extra help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts