Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says...

What is the easiest or best way to temporarily disable a 2005 Focus from starting?

(note: while battery is hooked up and have it not interfere with anything else)

- Fuel pump fuse?
- Fuel pump relay?
- Starter relay?
- Other?

Reason for asking is, there are times I park in strange places for hours and would like extra theft protection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On my 05 there's a fuel pump cutoff in the passenger footwell. Trip that and also pull the fuel pump fuse and you'd be set.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, didn't know about the passenger footwell cutoff, and for the fuel pump fuse I assume you mean relay in the junction box under the hood because I don't see the fuel pump fuse listed on the fuse box in dashboard...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for the reply, didn't know about the passenger footwell cutoff, and for the fuel pump fuse I assume you mean relay in the junction box under the hood because I don't see the fuel pump fuse listed on the fuse box in dashboard...
I would not use the fuel pump cutoff in the R footwell for the purpose you desire.

For a 2005 Duratec the fuel pump fuse is F12 (F1.12, 15A) in the BJB. The fuel pump relay is R7 (C1051) in the BJB. See below but keep in mind the diagram is upside down from the way in appears under the hood.

Paul

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
'I park in strange places for hours...'

I would not do it that way, you need some kind of a switch under dash easy to get to in seconds that will disable starting up.

If the area is that bad then you are asking to get jacked up while bending over car with an open hood (blind to a whopping amount of periphery then) to reinstall fuse and blinding yourself with a light doing it at night because you cannot see the slots.

If you doubt the chipkey stopping the thieves then you are pretty much admitting the car can be stolen anyway.

In an area like that the first thing in your mind should be to get into the car to lock it, saving the car sitting is a secondary consideration.

I say that from experience doing it for years. There are reasons, if the car is not safe then neither are you.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You do understand that if someone wants to steal your car and for whatever reason they cannot, they're more likely to damage it, steal wheels, break windows, etc.

Have you tried Uber/Lyft?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not use the fuel pump cutoff in the R footwell for the purpose you desire.

For a 2005 Duratec the fuel pump fuse is F12 (F1.12, 15A) in the BJB. The fuel pump relay is R7 (C1051) in the BJB. See below but keep in mind the diagram is upside down from the way in appears under the hood.

Paul
Thank you for the reply and answering the question Paul, very much appreciated.

As far as the other comments go, you assume an entire universe from a simple question on a message board, without a shred of info about me or my situation, something to think about...

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
X2, limited short term mentality like that is why we have the situation in government the way it is now.

The inability to go further. The only wanting the yes or no simpleminded answer when between them lies death 50X over. I can't take any more than that! The kind the world waits for to chew up and spit out.

'Shred of info'? You gave us enough to prejudge you several times over. Only an idiot gets mad when someone points out possible personal safety issues to self.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts