Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason our cars arent rated for e85? I know it uses more fuel but the higher octane rating might be nice plus lower cost. Just curious as almost every other ford is e85 capable

·
So mote be it
8,926 Posts
your car doesnt have a flex fuel sensor, it wont know the ethanol mix. It would probably be able to cope with a mix of e85 and regular gas but probably not do well trying to keep up with the demand in full e85. I'm tuned for e40 (e85+93) but i had to add aux fuel/port injection to supplement the fuel requirements and have the car tuned for it.

There are flexfuel focus, just not the 3cy versions. To take advantage of the higher octane, you would need to tune for it, not sure i have heard of anyone doing tuning on the 1.0l but you can look into it. Without tuning, you would probably just see worse mpg (which running higher ethonol you will) and not really much of any gains

·
Registered
639 Posts
None of the ecoboost cars from ford are flex fuel that im aware of.
They sell kits for the 3.5 but thats it.

·
So mote be it
8,926 Posts
None of the ecoboost cars from ford are flex fuel that im aware of.
They sell kits for the 3.5 but thats it.
yeah i would really love to be able to go full flex fuel and run straight e85 or a mix and have the tune adjust on the fly. There is only one tuning solution for that (that im aware of) and its a syvecs, aka aftermarket replacement ecu that costs $4k and iirc only work on the RS.

Sadly, Cobb's AccessPort cant do proper flex fuel on the fly for the focus like they offer on other platforms. We have to do map slots based on the e content we tune for. We can add an inline flex fuel sensor but it will only tell us our current ethanol percent, which is helpful so we can make sure we are running the right blend for our tunes but nothing fully integrated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any point to different octane gas? It seems weird that there is so little support for specific models to me

·
Registered
81 Posts
The higher octane fuel allows for a more aggressive spark advance table. When in boost, that usually translates into less timing being pulled to keep the engine out of detonation (spark knock) which allows for more hp. One of the real advantages that E85 has, other than a higher octane number, is that it burns so much cooler, which helps suppress spark knock as well.
I imagine that the number of Ecoboost Focus's sold compared to the N/A Focus is the reason for the lack of aftermarket support. There just are not enough potential customers out there to justify the R&D cost. And if someone did spend the $ to come up with a real "tune kit" for E85 in a Ecoboost Focus, the price per unit would have to be necessarily high to offset the R&D costs, which would dampen sales. Thus, no one is going to enter that market.

·
So mote be it
8,926 Posts
Is there any point to different octane gas? It seems weird that there is so little support for specific models to me
focus tuning is sort of a niche industry to start with and then you take your motor, its probably the least common, has to be up there with the electric. There hasnt been much of any demand from the 3cylinder crowd for more performance (you bought the lighter/more fuel efficient model after all.) SEEcoboost above summed up the rest pretty nicely. I doubt you will see much of any support...unless there is an enthusiest who ends up with one and wants to attempt learning/tuning it themselves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did not buy my EcoBoost Focus for performance. I bought it for the gas mileage and the fact that it is quiet. Also the fact that at 6'4" I comfortably fit in the car. I got one with an auto trans because I was tired of shifting gears up and down and up and down during my commute from hell at the time. So far the car has lived up to everything I was hoping for. On my current tank of gas I am averaging 46.5 mpg and over the last 2,600+ miles it is averaging 44.4 mpg. So, color me happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its more along the lines of why is there differences in tuning between the rs, st, fusion, escape, and 1.0.
I know the 1.0 is rare but it still has the same basic architecture and has the same rules as the other ford direct injected turbo charged vehicles.
I know there isnt much options just sharing a general puzzlement with automotive manufacturing and the apparent lack of commonalities despite being told otherwise.
Sorry if this was a waste of time for any of you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its more along the lines of why is there differences in tuning between the rs, st, fusion, escape, and 1.0.
I know the 1.0 is rare but it still has the same basic architecture and has the same rules as the other ford direct injected turbo charged vehicles.
I know there isnt much options just sharing a general puzzlement with automotive manufacturing and the apparent lack of commonalities despite being told otherwise.
Sorry if this was a waste of time for any of you.
The ability to read the data from the ECU is the first step. Then tuners have to take time to find out how to extract the most power while not popping the motor. So whilst it's not hard, it's very time consuming and not worth learning when the market is so small.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts