Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4. 6600 miles on it. Will this car be able to utilze E85 Fuel?

Would it hurt it? Help it?

any feedback is appreciated.

MrKing

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
NO! It is not engineered to accept gasohol, you will hurt it because the lines aren't used to that much ethanol, nor are any of the other parts.

It sucks because E85 is significantly cheaper right now... and the Ranger uses an engine cousin to the one in new Foci, it'd be cool of Ford to develop the Focus to use it. That doesn't help people away from the CornBelt where there aren't stations, but I've seen E85 Rangers locally, no fair!

Check out www.e85fuel.com for more info, but this link is a list of Ford vehicles that can use it. Notice under 02-03 that pic of the tailgate of a Ranger, ever seen that little badge before, with the road and green leaf? That means the car can accept E85.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't believe Ford classes the U.S. Focus as dual fuel E85/gasoline, so you are on your own if you try it.

Ford did (does?) sell an E85 model Focus in Sweden, but I do not believe the U.S. Focus is rated for E85 and you might have problems, particularly with hoses and seals, such as O-rings, if you run E85.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"E85 is significantly cheaper right now"

True, but you only get about 2/3 the mileage out of E85 since it has a much lower energy content than pure gasoline.

It might still be cheaper, but you do have to adjust for the significant reduction in mileage you get with E85.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Ah that's true. I recently saw an article though (can't remember where) that calculated smaller vehicles (not like Excursions) the tradeoff versus current prices you still come out ahead.

Even if you could mix some E85 and some gasoline together in the same tank... is that kosher even if you have an E85 vehicle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts