Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and couldn't quite find anything as to whether the 2.3L Pzev can handle teh e85. Anyone know?

On Edit: I checked focal jet and found an answer there. The 2.3 or any focus for that matter is not capable of using E85. We don't have the tank, lines, tune, injectors, etc to handle the high alcohol in the that fuel. Oh well.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
Most any engine after 1998 can take the e85 my question is why would you want to and PLEASE dont say because of the higher octane or better MPG because neither is true

Tom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know that stuff gets worse mileage and I won't see any hp increase. There's an E85 pump down the street from me and it's quite a bit cheaper then regular gas. I have to commute 80 miles a day so I thought I would see which comes out cheaper in the long run, more expensive gas with better mileage or cheaper with slightly worse mileage.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Another FF tried it for a long time, and he was able to tune for it. I think he ran it for like 6 months or so, then started having injector problems. Search for his threads, his name is Fredness. He said that he was sure the E85 messed up his injectors. Nobody I know who runs that in their FFV comes out ahead. The fuel economy drop cancels any savings.

You might as well run straight methanol and build your engine for it, but if you ask anyone who runs meth you'll find out that the engines need to be rebuilt often. It's not worth it. There is a magic bullet- diesel. Ford just doesn't want us to have it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel is a little more expensive but there are so many more benefits to using it such as longevity. The TDI's have really been popping up lately

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Do the math. Diesel is 40 cents more than 87 octane.

Your gasoline car gets 30 mpg on the highway, so you'll go 300 miles on $35 at 3.50/gal.
Your diesel car gets 40 mpg on the highway, so you'll go 400 miles on $39 at 3.90/gal.

It doesn't take a mathematician to figure that one out, but Americans are all hung up on this anti-diesel BS that they can't see simple figures. Of course, this is just an example, but you see how little a 40 cent difference really is when you compare cost per mile. It baffles me that people go across the street to get gasoline that's 1 cent cheaper, but gives them 3 less mpg. I blame it on the government for squandering education to dumb down the public so we'll just buy stuff and never ask questions.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Actually I just checked, todays average is 3.67 for 87, and 3.95 for diesel, so only a 28 cent difference. Big whoop. I know guys with TDIs that get 45 mpg, but only a gasoline car that gets 40 mpg on 87 octane will really compete with that. There aren't many of those out there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely agree with you that why I said a little. I wish ford would have other diesel options besides the f and e series. I really think they would get quite a foothold on the small car market with a diesel fiesta. Unfortunately look how long it took them to bring the gasoline fiesta and euro focus over.
I used to always fill up with brand name gas such as Shell until I started trying out AAFES and safeway. I haven't really noticed a major difference in my mileage. I still won't touch Arco or mom and pop shops. I lost almost 6 mpg by using Arco gas and it was only $.10 cheaper.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Umm...I get 40mpg on my 09' se, so in that case I do beat out the cost of disel a little.

However I will soon loose that awesome fuel economy when I install my built up 2.3L. Also the fact that it has lower compression pistons will lower the fuel economy a little also.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Yes it can be done with a tune, but the only thing it will change on your N/A motor is your peace of mind not buying foreign oil.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I don't think Americans are that anti diesel, try buying a used TDI, they are hard to find. I also had a buddy who had an old 80s diesel jetta, he was getting retarded high offers on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Jetta TDI (2006). I just turned 312,000 miles on it. Before that, I use the '05 ST so have a pretty good back to back cost comparison.

Plus side of Diesel- Fuel economy is outstanding I get 44mpg almost every tank. Range- I can go 600 miles on a tank of fuel.

Downside- at least with the Jetta- Maintenance has been much more expensive than the Focus. I have to put timing belts on the Jetta every 100,000 miles- total cost of the 3 I've had done so far is $1300. Camshaft failed at 200,000 cost $1,150 with all new cam followers (common problem). Dual mass flywheel failed at around 170,000 cost $520. Plus I add fuel additive as aprecautionary measure, adds about $150/yr. If you paid a dealer to do the above repairs, it would easily be double.

So thats about $3,000 more than I spent on the Focus over the same time period, all other maintenance is comparable -brakes, filters, little stuff like sway bar links, etc. All told, they are about equal to operate. The other plus for the Jetta is that its a bigger car. If Ford could bring over some of their european diesels, I would be in one instantly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Ford could bring over some of their european diesels, I would be in one instantly.
nice write up! and yes the fiesta diesel needs to be imported asap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts