Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have been stupid not to ask about it earlier this winter but i guess now wouldnt be a bad idea.

its about 12 degrees in chicago right now and during the cold weather my e-brake has been sticking when i park the car. like i'll pull it up, then do my thing, come back and the ebrake will release.....but i can feel that the brake stuck back. the physical handle doesnt stick, but i can feel that the brake is stuck on..

if i drive for a while it i can feel on the ebrake that it has become unstuck but how to i stop this from doing it? does anyone have the same problem?[dunno]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same issues. Try to figure out which side is sticking and at least disconnect the cable from the caliper so you don't burn the brakes up. Then order the cable and replace it. Cost of the new cable is about 50 bucks. My cable is coming in Wednesday I hope.

REMEMBER once you disconnect the bad side your e-brake will not work.

BOB

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know what the exact problem is? will it solve itself when it gets warm? i've just been leaving my car in 1st when i park

·
Registered
29 Posts
After a drive home from work I felt the brakes on each side to see which side was warmer.

Then I disconnected that side(driver side failure on mine)and tried to get it moving. It was all siezed up. no movement at all. Then it was to the dealer to order a new one. I think it comes as a pair (left and right).

It is only a dealer part and it will most likely be an order item. Good for you because I believe the part comes from a warehouse in Detroit.

The long and short is replace the cable not that hard to do. Just jack up the rear of car get on your back and take off those heat shields. Cable is right on the other side of the heat shields.

And definetly don't use the E-brake until fixed. It will only get worse. I may have to change my pads as it is now and I just changed them a few months ago.

BOB

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its pretty friggin cold out right now, i'll do that when it gets warmer but thanks alot for the help

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had the same problem, I just don't use my ebrake when it is going to be below freezing. I had a buddy who had a 03 svt and his started doing it. he took it to a dealership and they replaced both ebrake cables, he took it home and it still did it. He said it was condensation getting in the cables during the day and at night it would freeze and be stuck. so, i suppose it is a flaw from ford, so i just don't use my ebrake below freezing. idk, just my $.02

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem. There is a little lever on your caliper that it connected to you e-brake cable. Mine was stuck on so i knocked it loose, all i had to do was use my hands. Then I cleaned it up a little bit with brake parts cleaner, and then sprayed it with WD40. I also shot some up the opening to the cable and worked my brake on and off. It works perfect now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my cable was seized up solid i couldn't get it to move for anything. Maybe if I soaked it in WD40 for a week it might move but changing it out is a lot easier.

·
Registered
385 Posts
just leave it in first all winter. Ordering a new cable prolly wont fix it. There is just moisture on the side where it is sticking at and it will freeze as soon as it cools down.

Mine did that when it got really cold and i just leave it in first now. Wait till it gets warm and you can use your e-brake again.

I just wouldnt bother spending money you dont need to spend when its just a simple problem like that.

But thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've always left it in the next gear to be used without the e-brake.Even with new parts, one slush puddle before parking it and freezing temps, it will be froze again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, i'll just let it sit in gear till it warms up and not spend 50 bucks on a new cable

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, I just came to post a topic about my sticky brakes on my ST170 and it looks like I have the same issue as here...

Basically when I leave my car sat for a while (eg overnight or at work all day) when I go to drive off there's a clunk from the rear that sounds like the brakes haven't released properly. After that though the car feels fine and there's no further noises when I'm stopping and starting at junctions and stuff. So is it likely to be the same problem? Temperature wise here in England it's been regularly dropping below freezing, so it sounds like it...
I don't really want to take it into the Ford garage though if it's something I can fix myself, as they charge £80 an hour!!

·
because race car
1,948 Posts
if it's really cold don't set your e-brake. It's common for it to freeze. I just put it in first or only set the e-brake if the engine is on and I'm just temporarily parking.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The problem is most likely the the brake pads or shoes freezing to the rotor or drum. You don't need a new brake cable. Either park where you can just leave it in gear or do what drivers of big trucks do. Lightly drag the e-brake for a few blocks before you stop to heat them and evaporate the moisture.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yet again... dont but a new cable. Just leave it in gear. Its not something that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's not a Focus thing or even a Ford thing... it's a car thing. E-brakes freeze in the winter. Always have. If it's not the cable, it could be the pads freezing to the rotors. Moisture + freezing temps = frozen brakes.

The reason the only people who seem to notice it is people with manual transmissions is because those are the only people who regularly use their e-brake.

I've always just stopped using the e-brake and left it in gear for the winter for all of the manual trans cars I've had.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
This happened to me got water in there froze my e-brake on and I learned the hard way why not to do that in cold temps. I almost hit a tree because I hit a patch of ice with them dragging and spun out. Just leave your car in gear and if you're worried about it rolling get a wheel chalk. That is the solution to this problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
please tell me you guys are kidding. The pads freezing to the rotors??!! ok first off let me tell you that the reason you are having this problem, as i stated before, is the ebrake cable for whichever side is sticking. and second off... the pads freezing to the rotors.. ok, even if this was possible, they would oonly be "stuck to the rotors" till your car moved an inch, then they couldnt possibly be frozen to them, so why would your rotors be hot and you would smell brakes burnt after driving? It is the cables. not the "pads freezing to the rotors"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts