Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently bought a 2000 ZX3 and he told me that when he tries to pull the e-brake to drift around a corner, it seems to him that all four wheels engage and the car just slows down instead of drifting. Is this some sort of safeguard they put in to prevent people from drifting, and if so, are there any ways around it?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
no, it doesn't engage all the wheels, only the back ones. i've never heard of a parking brake that operates front wheels. i've heard that the e-brake is set kinda soft on the focus. if you were to somehoe tack up some more slack on the wire, it might help. not sure how you would do that, though.

Mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
The e-brake is very soft. I tried doing a breakstand a couple times, and my car rolled forward. I pulled it pretty hard too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just take off the center consloe and tighten up the e-brake the bolts right there to tighten, I thought about mine but my e-brake is fine. I hate rolling forward when i pull my e-brake

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah mine wouldn't drift at first either, then i found some gravel. I't dosn't help with the wider wheels either. Have you ever done that adjustment blue zx3? Is the counsole hard to get off?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good, I dont have a crappy ebrake then, Cause mine doesnt work to great either. I was thinking of just adjusting the spring on the drum brake...

-Shawn

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why oh why would you want to lock up your rear wheels?
Tire wear, break wear, possible loss of control, ticket from the police, guess this old fool doesn't get it? lol
be careful
bfocused

·
Registered
47 Posts
my friend drifts his FWD VW....in the snow tho...hahaha.....yeah drifting is definitly pointless to try in a FWD car....unless its in the snow...cuz thas the only time it will work.....Good luck trying tho

·
Registered
61 Posts
i tried to do doughnuts in a parkin lot by pullin the break and i just slowly slowed down, very disapointed. my ebrake blows.

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes,..these ebrakes r definitly a dissapointment....i always try to rip it up just to lock the tires up and skid a little.....but like every1 else....i just slow down...ALTHOUGH...i think twice...they actually did lock up on me....so idk wat wrong with these damn things

·
Registered
793 Posts
my e-brake works fine in the 00 sedan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Slide breaking IS drifting. Granted it's the cheapist form of drifting and relativly useless but it still is drifting. Anyway i don't think the problem is the weak e-brake as much as it is the sticky tires. And when you think about it there's really no problem at all is there/

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
ummm... last time i checked the point of drifting was to keep your cars speed and direction when coming out of a turn... but drifting a FWD with the e-brake does none of the above.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
4U2NV.... Just put some food trays from McDonalds under the back wheels of the car, then set the ebrake.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The E brake worked well for me in december when we had that great storm in the north east. big empty college commuter lot, with a nice coating of ice and snow was a great combo...i was able to pull some cool donuts, but unfortunately my brake and abs lights went on, after about half an hour. I got scared...so i called it quits there. the lights were off next time i started the car. it was a lot of fun tho!

[:)~]

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Technically it isnt drifting if you have to use the e-brake, but at a few scca autox's they have had drifting in which many front wheel drive cars competed in and one that I saw a civic actually won it. But the only time I can get my back end around is when I'm on somewhat slick blacktop.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
only time the ebrake is cool for drifting is in an open parking lot with snow :). In autox i tend to get the back end pretty damn close does this count? lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts