Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway with the E-Brake pulled up all the way , should'nt the car be unable to move? unless really hamering down on the gas?

Reason im asking is just with the ebrake slithly pulled or fully pulled the car can move just the same.. dont really feel that much resistance. Obviously i dint go driving alot like just barely 10feet to test it out. My friends car once the ebrake is pulled the car does not move and he has a toyota corolla.

Just wondering if thats how its supose to be or should i get it checked.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
with the handle pulled up it should keep the car from moving.

you can adjust the e brake cables. i dont know how to exactly, but there might be a write-up somewhere if you search.

and, Welcome!

btw, where in Canada are you? I'm in Vancouver

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I can't speak to disk brakes, such as on the SVT, but most drum emergency brakes will not stop a car from moving in Reverse gear.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome!And the easyest way to adjust it is to remove the boot and tighten the 10mm nut witha deep socket and a lil thread lock

·
Registered
92 Posts
On drum brakes if you have to adjust the park brake by taking up slack at the handle it might be time to check the rear brakes .If the auto adjusters are working the drum to lining clearance should not vary that much …unless my thinking is bass ackwards

·
Registered
63 Posts
[welcome] Welcome to F.F.
I have had the same trouble with my E-Brake. You have a 2006 right. The rear Brakes should be ok, unless you drive hard and brake hard. I have a 2003 with 56000 miles and I checked mine and the rear brakes just now need to be replaced. What I did when the E-Brake would not hold was adjust the rear brakes. You do this by driving slow in reverse and pulling up on the E-Brake over and over this will make the auto adjuster work. Hope this helps if not get the rear brakes checked they might be bad.[loveff] [race] [driving] [ffrocks] [thankyou] 2003ZTS

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
w/ ur car, you should be able to hold more than the zetecs as they used drums, but u have disks. You have to realize that w/ any FWD vehicle thats a hatch, all ur weight is distributed over the front axle. little to no weight over the rear. So picture 2000 lbs pulling 500. Just a lil physics for ya!! haha Now w/ reverse, you should be able to do it better cause you are no longer pulling the rear, you are pushing in the front. You will still slip though unless you have like 800 whp/wtq.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i tried what you guys suggested , i think something might be wrong with it. It completely doesnt work when driving forward and i did try it in reverse where it did nothing unless it was pulled ALL the way up and even then all it did was make the back Shake alot but the car did not stop.

Im thinking just gonna bring it to the dealer since its still under free warranty etc.. hopefully they will find whats wrong with it. I havent used the ebrake almost ever so i wouldn't see why it would be broken unless it came like that from the factory.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Get it checked out by the dealer, BUT for the future........there's an old saying that gets repeated, but it's basically true.......use your parking brake or "lose it". If you don't use it "regularly" the cable and sometimes part of the mechanism (even with your's having drums) can sieze up, particularly if you're in a corrosive environment. And there's the safety aspect of not using it on an incline etc.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,811 Posts
My friends car once the ebrake is pulled the car does not move and he has a toyota corolla.
^^ its a Toyota that's why... POS Toyotas

Your driving with your parking break well you were testing it but still its meant to park your car so unless you can push it while its engaged I dont think you have too many worries. My car if you don't pull the handle all the way you can push it but other than that it works. I don't plan on using it for drifting anytime soon and I am too lazy to adjust it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts