Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed in the last few days that the red light that indicates whether your E-brake is on or off is flickering while i am driving. Any ideas what is causing this to happen? and does this mean that the brake is being applied while i am driving?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
My friends E brake does that on level ground but when going uphill it doesnt do it... I'm thinking the E brake may have a small mercury switch on it and its going bad, or loose causing it to make a connection.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
The usage of mercury is not allowed to the toxicity... it is allowed within glass vials within some housing thermostats due to its impossible to break under normal usage.. in a vehicle the vials can rupture in a vehicle impact

the reason the ebrake light only flickers on level is due to the size of the Fluid reservoir when its level the float sensor sits low which triggers the light when on an angle again due to its size push's the float up making the car think it has more

theres 2 Reasons that cause the reservoir to run low of fluid
1. Brakes are excessively used which causes the brake system to store the fluid within the calipers/cylinders to keep the brakes pads/shoes in position
2. a line or the Caliper/Drum cylinder is leaking slowly

I find it funny when people say there running out of fluid top it off then find out a month later they are in dire need of brakes, take it to a backyard mechanic who doesn't open the brake reservoir and try to retract the cylinders back into there housing causing something to rupture or blistering a soft line (and people wonder what causes the spongy assed brake pedals)
:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No i have not checked the brake fluid level. I didnt know that light also indicated brake fluid level. I will look into that. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Yup brake light serves actually a number of Purposes
1. as you know is the indicator that the E-brake is engaged
2. notifies that the brake fluid in the reservoir is low
3. Warns that the proportioning valve found a Massive failure of a brake line and shut off that line

(when the valve engages it will cause a number of dash lights to illuminate each manufacturer has a different set of lights and sequence also the valves function as mentioned is to shut off the flow of fluid to prevent total brake loss, older cars are run 1 line to rear 1 line to front, newer cars are piped right front to left rear, left front to right rear)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Does the clutch on the Getrag share the reservoir like the MTX75? That's a *3rd* reason the reservoir could run low. A leaky master cylinder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a very small leak in my master cylinder, ford said that it was not an issue though. but maybe enough has leaked out that i need to top off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the same problem with the E-Brake light ('03 Sedan SE) and have not been able to find the problem. The light is on all the time and flickers when I am driving down the highway, even gos out for several minutes at a time. Fluid reservoir is full. Removed the float from the reservoir and turned it upside down so that the float would be at the top....light still stays on. Unplugged the float sensor and light still stays on. Problem with the light staying on is that it will not pass inspection. Brakes are working fine.

This smells like a big chase to find it at big bucks. I am wondering if there is a loose ground somewhere causing this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I lately noticed that I am leaking some fluid. Did not know what it was until my "brake" light started flashing and I noticed my brake fluid level was low. I was wondering if there were any spots I should check first for leaking brake fluid?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2003 (111,000 miles on it-- brake pads never changed, haven't needed them yet) had the brake light come on. I haven't checked the fluid yet. Just got up and it's snowing....

The front brakes seemed excessively warm to the touch, and it's getting bad fuel milage. Can they be "over Center" -- worn out, go beyond the "normal caliper extension" and make them stick on? I haven't ventured out to pull the wheels and check them yet. Or does this sound more like a valve or cylinder problem?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I lately noticed that I am leaking some fluid. Did not know what it was until my "brake" light started flashing and I noticed my brake fluid level was low. I was wondering if there were any spots I should check first for leaking brake fluid?
Is your car standard or automatic?
It's your clutch master cylinder leaking (which uses brake fluid from the same resevoir as your brakes)...
I'm on my 2nd one and need a 3rd...

Check your floor mat for wet spots...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts