Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rec’d my $54.99 programmable 80bit Focus 2012 Flip Key from e-bay (Artiway)….it arrived in about a week via seller paid certified mail from some guy in Taiwan. The key has to be cut to match my OEM key before I try the programming Kabuki dance. Anyone have experience with this for a 2012? Can a local locksmith cut the key or do I have to go to Ford?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Call your local locksmith! Mine said it would be $35.00 to cut the key, but I have a friend that has the machine and will cut it for me. I'll need to throw him some coin, but that is OK with me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Flip key with integrated key fob. Had two on past two cars. Theyre pretty crappy and I used them as spares. My $.02...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call your local locksmith! Mine said it would be $35.00 to cut the key, but I have a friend that has the machine and will cut it for me. I'll need to throw him some coin, but that is OK with me.
Thanks....I did just that. I checked around today and found a reputable local locksmith company that has the right machine for these keys and will do it for 30 bucks while I wait. They said to bring my key code to set the machine by it. I believe the key code was with the stuff I got at delivery ..... a sticker on the key and a barcoded tag with the extra key...so I'll dig that out and head out next week.. I'll report back how it all goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flip key with integrated key fob. Had two on past two cars. Theyre pretty crappy and I used them as spares. My $.02...
Thanks for the comment...using as a spare was my sole intent, although the flip away feature was not anticipated and is nice if it proves dependable. When I got the car and saw only one main key came with it, I didn't like the aspect of a single point of failure, so I go the Ford dealership one day thinking I can get a spare, for a modest cost and then hear its about $400?!....well that sucks so I started checking around and FF contributors came thru. If at the end of the day I end up with a working spare complete with the remote functionality for $54.99 plus 35 bucks for the cut and my time for chasing all this down, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My last four cars had flip keys and I really prefer that function. I may have to look into this. Artiway's ebay listing states that if you don't have two fully-functional keys already, you'll need the dealer to program the flip key so the transponder will work. I'll be watching this thread to see if that's the case for you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yep, you'll be fine with it as a spare. The buttons tend to stick and the first key I got from Artiway was wrong. Older generation key blank. So I wrote to him saying he sent the wrong key, etc and he called me a liar. Filed a complaint with eBay and he finally changed his tune. I would tell anyone to be wary of him and only use the flimsy POS as a spare.

/end rant

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That's what you get for getting something from Taiwan... if my key fob ever fails I'll just get my spare "key" out of the fob... and open the door. But I like not having "keys" to carry around, just walk up open my door start the car and drive off =)
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the comment...using as a spare was my sole intent, although the flip away feature was not anticipated and is nice if it proves dependable. When I got the car and saw only one main key came with it, I didn't like the aspect of a single point of failure, so I go the Ford dealership one day thinking I can get a spare, for a modest cost and then hear its about $400?!....well that sucks so I started checking around and FF contributors came thru. If at the end of the day I end up with a working spare complete with the remote functionality for $54.99 plus 35 bucks for the cut and my time for chasing all this down, I'll be happy.
One key? I got two. Sounds like the dealership lost one or wanted to sell you another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2012 Key(s)

One key? I got two. Sounds like the dealership lost one or wanted to sell you another.
I rec'd the one key with the buttons to open the door, trunk, find the car and the alarm button and another "valet" type with no buttons. After looking thru the manual the day after I picked up the car, it looked like I was supposed to get two of the keys with the buttons so I called the dealer and asked them to check to see if they had another key lying around for my car and they insisted that that was the only one. Maybe because I have the no-frills S model, no matter I got a good deal on it and it beats the hell out of the 2010 S that I traded in -- this car has some cojones; the more I drive it the better it gets!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Any updates on this, OP? Curious to see how an aftermarket flip key would work with this car.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a flip key from artiway, I was the one who originally poted the whole story on getting one from him and the long long process of getting it to work.

like nutty i was sent the wrong key blank, however e-mailing artiway i got the replacement blank in about 4 days no questions asked.

a local lock smith cut it for me for 25 bucks, i did all the other programming my self.

I use it as my primary key everyday since i got it working a few months ago, and have no regrets with it. I love it, and if it ever fails ill just get another one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds fishy, I ordered mine through my works credit union and mine came with two full feature keys, sounds like they are holding back on some of you guys.
A lot of us got ripped off then. I have one full key and a valet key. Where do we need to QQ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
FWIW, we got two keys...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts