Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my SCT Xcal3 on Friday and loved it, but today I got to see first handedly what it did for me and my car in the sense of Tom's tune for my car.
I know the charts are hard to see but try to follow me on this. On my baseline w/o tune, I ran for Max POWER= 130.8 Max TORQUE=132.7
w my tune, I ran...Max POWER= 137.0 Max TORQUE= 136.6

Not only that but Tom's tune LEANED out my A/F.
AT 4.2 RPM it's at about 14.2 STOCK
AT 4.0 RPM it's at about 15.2 TUNE

I don't know much about A/F but I think 14.2 is to rich for just bolt on's. I thought that was like turbo range and I was running that STOCK. If you can't see on the page Tom's tune leaned out my A/F buy 1. The guy at the shop said thats "Alot better for just bolt on's then 14.2."

You can also see that my Torque evened out. the STOCK pull it was super choppy but after I loaded the tune it was more even.

This is for everyone who is wondering what goes in to a tune, or if your just considering on getting a tune. I would encourage any one who has bolt on's and running N/A to get a tune..If not from Tom then some one or even a Dyno tune. Not only do you get more HP and more torque, you can even out all your junk after you bolt stuff on. I would like to thank all the guy's at INTEC RACING for hooking me up w/ there dyno. Thanks for reading and questions, comments, or concerns are welcome.

Stock run

Tune run

Thanks for lookin
-[gunfire]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Buying A Tune From Somebody That Does Not Use Your Car To Do The Tune On Just Dont Make Sense To Buy It Every Car Is Diferent So A Tune From One Car With The Same Mods Might Not Work With Your Car

·
FF Affiliate
30,963 Posts
Buying A Tune From Somebody That Does Not Use Your Car To Do The Tune On Just Dont Make Sense To Buy It Every Car Is Diferent So A Tune From One Car With The Same Mods Might Not Work With Your Car
Its a good thing that I do every car custom then isnt it ? I dont do random every car/ecu gets the same tune

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,963 Posts
the_07ninja , Now I have a AF where I can fine tune your AF , shoot me an email and I can make the changes needed and looks like I can gain you even more , Please DONT do any more WOT runs till we deal with that lean condition from 2 to 5000

We can pick that bottom end up a good bit to 5000 with some more fuel and you will be safer

And if you loaded the tune in why on the dyno doing the runs then you will see some more at about 50 to 75 miles when it has time to dump all it has learned , like all its bad MPG , Emmission stuff , it also may be part of why it was so lean in the lower RPM , Need that AF Gauge

This is why I like to see A/F Gauges in cars with mods , Did you log that run I hope ?

Other then that N I C E

Tom

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom, Sorry I didn't make that a point to put in on my Thread. But your rite every car is different but the point of a "tune" is to do exactly what it is, and thats tune. I was just encouraging everyone who has numerous bolt on's to get a tune. Every time you bolt something on your mechanics change, but your ECU stay the same it wont change unless you tune it according to what you have bolted on. As you can see from the contrast of the A/F ratio. It was garbage STOCK.I was running to rich, but I told Tom the mod's I had along w/ other info and he tuned it to that.

And Tom on I forgot to log it. This was my first time on a dyno and I was purrdy excited I almost for got to load the tune after the stock run. But I will shoot cha an E-mail soon. But thanks Tom I will start to log here soon enough. Oh ya and now my rev limiter is up from about 5.3 to 7.2 way better now.

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool Tom I have to wait for monday.

-Guy

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Great numbers! I have similar mods except for 2.5" MBRP and a FS tune, I was lean too and pulled down like 1 more tq than you. Im excited to see where tom can get yours!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
this makes me want to go on a road trip to see Tom

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
your A/F is wayy scary...glad Tom's helping you, he did wonders for me!

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your A/F is wayy scary...glad Tom's helping you, he did wonders for me!
Why is this so scary? may be at high RPM's, but I never red line or even come close to rev limiter. I think stock AFR is like 12.1-13.1. Sorry for the ignorance but what is the big deal about runnig to LEAN? 15.2:1 is purrdy LEAN but for N/A I didn't think it was "wayy scary." But like I said I'm a littel ignorant here so please explaine.[dunno]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Running too lean makes the combustion chamber and the plug itself run way hot. This makes perfect conditions for burning pistons, valves, melting spark plug electrodes, and cause pre-detonation which can destroy your motor.

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rite but is 15.2:1 too lean should I be cautious while driving or should it be fine till I get new tune? Not that fimilliar w/ AFR but isn't 14.7:1 stoichiometric? 15 is Lean rite?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I know what each condition (rich or lean) can do to a motor but in all honesty I have no idea what is optimal. lol

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I should be fine as long as I dont run WOT (thanks jetrinka) for now it might be pushing it if I open it up for to long...but I got my datalogger and can check it as I go.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ok here it goes again. Stock A/F is set at 14.7(Lambda) When you hit WOT then you like to drop your A/F to 11.5-12.5 FI and 12.5-13.5 NA. So when you are just cruizing around town your A/F will be around 14.7 Then when you hit WOT or right before it, you richen it up. He is saying that it is crazy because you are running way lean until you hit 3k rpm and thats not good.

·
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that I got the basic mods done (CAI and Exhaust) I might try and dyno within the next year so I can get my baseline.
I think you should get a header first Cjohn, but like you said you got till next year. it was good to see what I was pushing and see waht my AFR was. Good thing I did it too or I would have never known and just kept on running it LEAN. PHEWW, I should get a dyno for my house, put it in my garage or something....lol.[driving]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Rite but is 15.2:1 too lean should I be cautious while driving or should it be fine till I get new tune? Not that fimilliar w/ AFR but isn't 14.7:1 stoichiometric? 15 is Lean rite?
i believe thats why Tom said to stop doing WOT runs till he can fix that tune for you.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.