Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How much boost to run on a STOCK MOTOR (SVT)

• 10psi and get 220-230whp but NEVER have to worry

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Tune for 15psi (Track 100 octane) but run 12psi (street) (240-260whp)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Tune for 18psi (Track 100 octane) but run 15psi (street) (280-300whp)

Votes: 5 41.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to McNews august 2nd for my final tune. I am now intercooled and I am going to up the boost. I want to tune for 18psi but run 15. My 'voice of reason' tells me tune for 15, run 12. (using the 'tune for' as a track only boost level).

So, what should I do? CAN I DO 18psi SAFELY on 10.2:1 Compression? I would LOVE to have the ~300whp dyno chart, but not at the expense of my motor. If I dont have to worry, then I'll go that route....

So, what do the experts say?

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Orange is running 23PSI on stock internals...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Based on my strolls through this forum and other research here is what i whould sugest. (ive been looking @ piecing togeather my own turbo too)

The stock BLOCK will handel up to 30lbs of pressure, this is just the casing though. The internals (pistons, conecting rods) might (probably will) give out WAY before that is reached. The amount of boost you want to run is fine and the stock internals will probably hold up for a while with the larger amounts of boost but they will die very fast.

I know Mcnews has pistons and rods the pistons are ~500 and the rods are 360 or 730 depending if you want Eagel rods (350-400HP) or crower bilit rods (almost indestructable). based on your HP goals I would sugest using the Eagles and saving urself a few hundred bucks. if you do decide to get them your engine will be fine till the mid to upper 300's HP range and you wouldnt have any problem running 18 or even 20 PSI daily.

PLEASE note however that the above assumes that you have a good head mated to that block b/c idk how a stock head would react to the high boost.

It sounds like you already have one but if you dont i would sugest a greddy PROFEC B-SPEC2 electronic boost controler (if you can afford it they are abit pricy ($450) to change your boost on the fly to lower amounts or to your maxium tuned amount.

The long and short of the long post is: GO FOR IT!!!!! :) they more boost the better. I think that you should be fine and if you change the sugested parts you engine will be vertually bullitproof for the HP you are looking to get from the focus

HTH:
Sarif2029

(ps: try sending tom a PM. If anyone here will have a definate answer its him)

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Stay away from the PROFEC B-SPEC2 it sucks and is very hard to use , the PROFECT-S replaced the old regular PROFECT-B and is just like the B was the spec-2 is a POS

Tom

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I use the Profect type S... it works flawlessly.

You cant judge your performance on my setup.... I have several parts that are 1 onlys.

I run 19psi daily and 23 for the "special occasion" but your going to be limited by your tuners ability and the stock intake and other parts that I dont have on mine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i dont think to stock intake can take more then 15lbs if that. I would try 15lbs but it might pop. Im gonna tune for 12-14 lbs when i get my leaks all fixed, and my clutch upgraded.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
POP, you mean teh manifold itself will pop? I have silicon couplers on the runner to join the two halves...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tom has split his stock intake manifold in half a few times on his svtf. I try not going over 15psi for a long time.

I am looking to raise my compression back up to 10.0 to 10.5 after seeing how much power 03orangesvt car is making. The main thing for me is knowing the tune is safe. The j&s safegaurd helps to make sure the tune is good. I would of push my tune that much without it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i plan to be tuned at 15 psi and run 6-12 during noraml driving, my question is if tom tunes my car at a certain psi what happens if i get a boost controller and run push the boost over the already set psi? and should i wait to get the boost controller before i get the tune.

·
Registered
523 Posts
as in "pop" i ment the intake spliting, not the couplers.

And for svtguy21...if you get a 12lb tune and then crank it up to 15lbs your probably run lean, and thats never good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, tune for the highest you want to go, then back it down a bit on the boost...

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
finalley on here runs over 20psi on his stock manifold

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i really wanted be at 20 psi at the track and then low for daily driving but not now, after reading this thread

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...mine gets to 20.8 lbs according to my digital Spa gauge... Stock intake. Mines tuned for 110 oct. I almost always leave it on hi boost, just don't always use it...[race] After running 20 lbs. of boost 10lbs of boost just don't cut it....just can't run with the big dogs @ 10lbs... [8D]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp, the answer (after a very long boost controller debacle) is 12-13psi. Figured we'd keep it modest seeing how it was 103 degrees in the dyno room. My car put down 230.78whp/ 222.69tq. A gain of 24.79 Hp and 33.09 Tq. May not seem like much for ~2lbs of boost, but you outta see this curve (Dyno chart to be posted later, it was hotter than hell and I'm tired). Ray says theres ore room up top to clean up, but I was blowing spark towards 6500 and I couldnt afford to be sstrapped on much more. Maybe in October I'll go back when its a bit cooler and we'll play with my cam gear and see what that does.

All in all the car feels 82x better with the intercooler/ 2psi/ tuning. Now that I have timing, my turbo hits ~10psi by 3800. Car feels awesome though!!

Thanks again Ray!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts