·
FF Affiliate
30,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It was a long 2 days , I did all testing as close and fair as I could

We did all the testing that I posted on the first page

Eco Larger TB no gains
TTR Intake at highest point 19hp loss
The Cosi Knock off intake that I make for the Turbo MK3 almost mimicked the TTR intake with the same exact HP and loss , this results surprised me , I wasnt really expecting it to gain HP but was hoping it didnt loose any but it was almost spot on the losses of the TTR
The Intakes were the same hp/tq till about 3600 and then the gap for the loss just started getting wider to 19 hp loss at 6500 ,

So I got thinking that something might be off , 2 intakes doing the same exact hp/tq would be off so close to the same thing with 2 totally different designs ...

Being he was going to return the TTR we set in putting it back to stock because I wanted to make sure that when back to stock the HP/TQ was back to when he cane in , fired it up , did a dyno pull and the HP/TQ was back very close to when he came in , The losses were all the Intake Manifolds

I datalogged each run , tune was to the same specs ( A/F , Timing Etc ) for each run and part we tested , I made sure each run was started between 195-197 Deg because he didnt have the 180 deg thermostat in yet

I want to thank John for sticking out 2 hard days of testing , he was a knowledgeable guy to hang around and work with , THANKS!

To TTR , I did offer to do the testing on this intake before it was sold and it would of saved a lot of people a lot of work and expense and would of given TTR the opportunity to of maybe made a few changes and given the dyno another shot , I am as shocked as you guys were with the results , I knew the power was down because of the dataloggs but I had no idea it would show 19 hp loss with the TTR or the cosi knock off

I do have to say I am very impressed that TTR stepped up and offered a refund on the Intake , If I ever need a part that TTR sells I will be buying it , We need more companies like this around the Focus community , Hats off to you guys

So ask away ????There is some speculation that cams or boost will work better , the first thing you have to do with cams or boost is make up the 20hp loss at 6500 then start adding hp from there , If you were going to turn 8500-9000 the intakes I am sure would be better then stock but 99% of the guys here wont see past 7300 rpm

What I learned from this is , I already knew the stock Intake flowed better then any stock Intake I have ever had on my flow bench so I knew it would be tough to beat , My take is this engine loves the long runners and small plenum

The Cosi knock off wont be going back on the Turbo MK3 LOL , I am sick and feel like crap and going to bed

Tom

·
Registered
534 Posts
It was a long 2 days , I did all testing as close and fair as I could

We did all the testing that I posted on the first page

Eco Larger TB no gains
TTR Intake at highest point 19hp loss
The Cosi Knock off intake that I make for the Turbo MK3 almost mimicked the TTR intake with the same exact HP and loss , this results surprised me , I wasnt really expecting it to gain HP but was hoping it didnt loose any but it was almost spot on the losses of the TTR
The Intakes were the same hp/tq till about 3600 and then the gap for the loss just started getting wider to 19 hp loss at 6500 ,

So I got thinking that something might be off , 2 intakes doing the same exact hp/tq would be off so close to the same thing with 2 totally different designs ...

Being he was going to return the TTR we set in putting it back to stock because I wanted to make sure that when back to stock the HP/TQ was back to when he cane in , fired it up , did a dyno pull and the HP/TQ was back very close to when he came in , The losses were all the Intake Manifolds

I datalogged each run , tune was to the same specs ( A/F , Timing Etc ) for each run and part we tested , I made sure each run was started between 195-197 Deg because he didnt have the 180 deg thermostat in yet

I want to thank John for sticking out 2 hard days of testing , he was a knowledgeable guy to hang around and work with , THANKS!

To TTR , I did offer to do the testing on this intake before it was sold and it would of saved a lot of people a lot of work and expense and would of given TTR the opportunity to of maybe made a few changes and given the dyno another shot , I am as shocked as you guys were with the results , I knew the power was down because of the dataloggs but I had no idea it would show 19 hp loss with the TTR or the cosi knock off

I do have to say I am very impressed that TTR stepped up and offered a refund on the Intake , If I ever need a part that TTR sells I will be buying it , We need more companies like this around the Focus community , Hats off to you guys

So ask away ????There is some speculation that cams or boost will work better , the first thing you have to do with cams or boost is make up the 20hp loss at 6500 then start adding hp from there , If you were going to turn 8500-9000 the intakes I am sure would be better then stock but 99% of the guys here wont see past 7300 rpm

What I learned from this is , I already knew the stock Intake flowed better then any stock Intake I have ever had on my flow bench so I knew it would be tough to beat , My take is this engine loves the long runners and small plenum

The Cosi knock off wont be going back on the Turbo MK3 LOL , I am sick and feel like crap and going to bed

Tom
Thanks everyone for all this work. I know it was tough, i will swap my manifold on Wednesday hopefully. Id like to keep the 3inch MAF and Intake.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Thanks Tom for doing the testing. Got my stock manifold back on already. And I agree, thank you TTR for stepping up and giving refunds.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Thanks everyone for all this work. I know it was tough, i will swap my manifold on Wednesday hopefully. Id like to keep the 3inch MAF and Intake.

Definitely do it by Wednesday. If it's not shipped by Thursday you won't get a full refund.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Definitely do it by Wednesday. If it's not shipped by Thursday you won't get a full refund.

BURKS You are the G.O.AT def didn't read that at first. I'm taking it off now

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
BURKS You are the G.O.AT def didn't read that at first. I'm taking it off now

Lol thank you, glad to help.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Anyone datalog after swap intake manifolds is it going to be lean ? I want to send a datalog in asap because work early tomorrow

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
send a log. i got one to him too just waiting to get a new tune back.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Got her back on and keeping it 3 inch 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using FF Mobile
looks good by the way! My RS air box just shipped today. looking forward to getting a little bling under the hood lol. it looks to stock right now.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Well ill be keeping my manifold...costs to ship back and the extra shipping costs to ship to Canada...plus other reasons ill keep to myself....So..... I may install and get a dyno done just to replicate the.results....or I might wait and see if I get cams and see how it does with those....I am still considering FI if we ever get numbers and the manifold seems like a good design for that.

This is less likely but getting a fabricator to modify the ports could be an option too so I dont have the worlds more expensive paperweight.

I.do appreciate ttr for refunds....very good company to deal with. No one could have predicted the results on this engine....I.still hope someone that keeps their manifold besides me..gets a dyno done just to confirm.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well ill be keeping my manifold...costs to ship back and the extra shipping costs to ship to Canada...plus other reasons ill keep to myself....So..... I may install and get a dyno done just to replicate the.results....or I might wait and see if I get cams and see how it does with those....I am still considering FI if we ever get numbers and the manifold seems like a good design for that.

This is less likely but getting a fabricator to modify the ports could be an option too so I dont have the worlds more expensive paperweight.

I.do appreciate ttr for refunds....very good company to deal with. No one could have predicted the results on this engine....I.still hope someone that keeps their manifold besides me..gets a dyno done just to confirm.
Well it would be cool for you to get it on and then get it on a dyno. it's fun install anyway and it will let you get a look at your valves.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
So i was just looking at the dyno numbers FFHB13 put on the dyno and he had 175whp/ and 167tq. I dont have the numbers in front of me that Tom got with the testing this last weekend but i think it was something like 180wph and 159tq. I know that car was a 5spd and had a 2.25in exhaust but otherwise it was pretty similarly modded to FFHB13, i wonder why there was such a difference in TQ? do you think the DCT vs the 5spd had something to do with it? or the size in exhaust?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^^I mistakenly dynoed in 3rd gear...4th gear is 1:1....hp should have been slightly higher and torque slightly lower or thats how they explained it to me

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Also dct has some conversion losses....5spd should have 4 to 5 more hp

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Got her back on and keeping it 3 inch 😎

Sent from my XT1585 using FF Mobile
Does it feel like you gained 20hp??

21 - 40 of 84 Posts