Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What boost level should I run/ tune for?

• 10 PSI and keep it safe safe safe! (220-230whp

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tune for 15 (Track, with 100 octane) and 12psi for Street (240-260whp)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Tune for 18psi (Track, 100 octane) and 15 for the street (280-300whp)

Votes: 4 33.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to McNews august 2nd for my final tune. I am now intercooled and I am going to up the boost. I want to tune for 18psi but run 15. My 'voice of reason' tells me tune for 15, run 12. (using the 'tune for' as a track only boost level).

So, what should I do? CAN I DO 18psi SAFELY on 10.2:1 Compression? I would LOVE to have the ~300whp dyno chart, but not at the expense of my motor. If I dont have to worry, then I'll go that route....

So, what do the experts say?

I know Ive beaten this to death, but I want to be sure and set in stone for the dyno session..

·
Registered
166 Posts
First, I'd like to start off by saying that I totally misread that you've got Tom's kit and not a JRSC. My bad. Anyway, I voted for the conservative rule of thumb and since I have one car that is running FI, I speak from personal experience. Yeah, its not the Focus, although I'd like to do some power adder in the near future. As for keeping it conservative, I've had my car tuned 3 times so far and each time, I've opted to go conservative. Yeah, I'd like to have be able to show off the "impress me" numbers but I want my motor to last and be reliable. In any case, I at least know that keeping it safer just means that its got more left in it. Heck, my last tune was only taken to 5600rpm and the tuner agreed that we could "easily" surpass 500RWHP but then I'd only be on STOCK BLOCK borrowed time. Good luck with whatever you decide. Shoot, I'd like to just see what my Focus puts down stock before making my planned mods. Might have to check this McNews place out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mike 1 -

BTW, I just checked out McNews and I must say that they are on my list of soon to be visited shops for the Foci.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..as they should be! Tom and Ray (McNews) work very well together. Tom is the one that pointed me to them in fact. I was a prior customer here and there, but I'll only deal with Ray now.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1turbofocus said:
I have a few making 300+ on 93 and a stock engine , the 100 octane OR BETTER is allways a plus for higher boost

Tom
CAN I DO 18psi SAFELY??? If I make ~300whp on 93 octane...how long are we talking? Im looking to eek the most power and never have to crack into my motor. This is pretty much the last thing I'll ever do to my car. I want 300 so so so bad, but not at the expense of a motor. You have to realize, I'm never planning to throw any more money at my car. Im DONE after the visit to Ray. I cant afford a new motor.

Straight up Tom, if I tune for 18psi and run 15psi, am I safe safe safe? I know a lot has to do with the tune, but I dont want to even be near the fine line. I really dont want to put another cent towards modding after August 2nd.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If you tune for 18psi and its a safe tune then run 18psi. You can turn the boost down if you want but if its a safe tune at 18psi then why not run it at 18psi.

With the VCT and Toms custom intake we made 305whp at 17psi..... but keep in mind that BOTH of the custom intake manifolds I have run flow WAY better than the stock DSI ever thought about flowing.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...I agree with john,{03Orange,}...If you prepped the internals for 300hp, and tune for 300, it should be safe for 300....THEN USE IT when you want it. Will things wear faster?... sure. so what...That's physics and mechanics 101...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...but Im running a stock motor...

Im going to tune for 12psi and play it safe.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...yeah your probly right...12lbs is safe...stock pistons and rods...

[8D] But 18/20lbs is sssooooo much fun....you'll be competition for vettes and fireburds and evos and subies and.....[:)~]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts