Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my car up on a Dynapack chassis dyno (wheels come off, hooks directly to the car's hubs):

127.4 hp
142.2 lbft torque

I'm VERY pleased with the torque figures, but the hp numbers seem to be more than just a bit off. The engine's hp/torque numbers should be running pretty close, but a 15 hp difference tells me something might not be right here.

I went with AutoOutcast, and his hp vs. torque numbers seem to be off as well (116.8 hp/134.3 tq.- modded ztec). This seems to be raising a few eyebrows on his thread as well ...

place your bets now!

So because of what AutoOutcast got, I am pretty sure that it is not my car. Anyone know anything about the "Dynapack" chassis Dyno? Is this a common result with their equipment?

I mean, ZX3chick made 129 hp/134 lbft torque on her stock ST. Now that's much more normal of a difference between hp/torque than with my result of 127/142.

Chime in peeps! Give me a hint as to what might be up with mine and AuotOutcast's dyno numbers!

(BTW, can't say enough good things about the people at SynapseMotorsport. They were pleasant, helpful, and professional!)

Pics From Today!

Travis (AutoOutcast) getting his car dynoed!

Morgan (operator/owner of Synapse Motorspots), Travis, and Chris (employee, Synapse M/S)

The ST getting put on the dyno!

Morgan, putting my car through a run!

The ST, getting plenty of air!

Travis, monitoring his car's results on the computer!

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Remember, those dynos are 10%-15% lower than a Dynojet and other "roller" type dynos that most of the dyno figures on here are from.

Good work.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goat Roper said:
Remember, those dynos are 10%-15% lower than a Dynojet and other "roller" type dynos that most of the dyno figures on here are from.

Good work.
Thanks buddy! But please, tell me more about this hp difference?

I didn't know that dynos could be that much off from one another.

Do you know why this is? And why so much separation between the hp and torque numbers?

Just curious!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
It all depends on the dyno operator. I'd assume there is a correction factor for what wheel normally would have been on the car?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Find you a real dyno (dynojet) this way every time you go back they will be correct 2 Diff guys running the dyno you will get 2 Diff dyno # with the dyno pac

Find a dynojet

Tom

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1turbofocus said:
Find you a real dyno (dynojet) this way every time you go back they will be correct 2 Diff guys running the dyno you will get 2 Diff dyno # with the dyno pac

Find a dynojet
Tom
LOL

There's a Dyno Dynamics 450 just 2 minutes from my house.

Problem is, I heard the guy just wants to do Vette's, GTO's, and stuff ...

So that's probably why, when I talked to him, he won't bend on a flat $250 per car for one full hour.

And there ain't no way I'm gonna pay $250 for just a couple of dyno runs!

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
The Dyno Dynamics 450 isnt much better then the dynopac you did your dyno on , Look on the dynojet web site and see if there is one close to you

Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
tom the closest dynojet to us in upstate ny is somewhere around syracuse or bristol dyno in connecticut... while they may read higher i verified my a/f ratio and im content with my runs. morgan (operator of synapse) told us 75$ for 3 runs.... each of us got 5 or 6 pulls so he could get a quality baseline and truly see how the car was.
now if the 10-15% estimate of a dynapack reading lower is correct at a 15% correction for a dynojet, it puts me at 134hp and 153tq to the wheels...and if thats true... goddamn.....[:0]

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
so if he already has a 15 percent drivetrain loss and then the 15 % lower because of the dynapack, then the 117/134 is a little bit more than what i would have on a real dyno because of the 30 % drivetrain loss b/c of the ATX...right? or am i just stupid and cant calculate...if so i'm a little discouraged of even trying to mod my lame ass atx :(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Auto0utcast said:
tom the closest dynojet to us in upstate ny is somewhere around syracuse or bristol dyno in connecticut...
Actually, there's one even closer: Walden, NY - 102 mi (1 hour 57 mins)

In distance, the other two are:

Bristol, Conn. - 120 mi (2 hours 35 mins)
North Syracuse, NY - 128 mi (2 hours 11 mins)

... while they may read higher i verified my a/f ratio and im content with my runs. morgan (operator of synapse) told us 75$ for 3 runs.... each of us got 5 or 6 pulls so he could get a quality baseline and truly see how the car was.
Yeah, it was good to know that my A/F wasn't out of wack either (though they said that I probably could lean it up a bit). I got a total of 4 runs in (3 runs in 3rd gear, 1 run in 4th).

... now if the 10-15% estimate of a dynapack reading lower is correct at a 15% correction for a dynojet, it puts me at 134hp and 153tq to the wheels...[:0]
So if I adjust for the 15%, does that mean that I'm actually making 146hp/163 trqe to the wheels? Not likely (all I have is just a CAI/Cat back).

But as I said previously, the thing that REALLY gets me is the RATIO betwen the hp and torque. It doesn't seem right?

If Ford lists my engine as making 151hp/154trq (almost a perfectly equal 1:1), then how in the heck am I now making 127hp/142trq to the wheels?

It's as if I've mechanically changed the dynamics of how my engine produces power/torque (which a CAI/Catback doesn't do).

Something doesn't jive here. The way I figure it, if the Dynapack's hp figure of 127 is the one that is correct, then my numbers should read 127fwhp/130fwtrq (whaaa!).

But if the Dynapack's torque number of 142 is right one, then my results should have been 139fwhp/142fwtrq (yippie!).

Phil Usher (who has an ST and is running a Website Journal on his car's mods) got 130fwhp/135fwtrq stock on a Dynojet. This ratio lines up PERFECTLY with how the engine is supposed to be producing "hp. versus trq".

Then, when Phil added a CAI/Tune, his numbers were 141fwhp/145fwtrq. AGAIN, his hp/trq ratios jive!

Hmmm. The Dynojets are what, only 2 hrs. away?[;)]

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd like to go for a dyno run, and I live in jersey.
Anyone know a affordable and dependable place to go to?
Would someone go with me for a couple runs as well?
Can a dyno run help out in the tunning, do they reprogram as they go to optimize the output?
Or is it just to see where the car stands as far as numbers go?
The reason I'm asking is because I want to get my tune updated by Wayne at Hypnotic, (originaly from Wayne) as soon as I get the next couple of bolt on's in.
Would a dyno chart help Wayne or any tuner for that matter get the tune right to the T ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You really should factor out that initial blip in the tq curve. Then your tq number is in the low 130's. I think that's much more realistic.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DePue said:
You really should factor out that initial blip in the tq curve. Then your tq number is in the low 130's. I think that's much more realistic.
Yes, that would certainly solve for the hp/trq discrepancy (graph shows about 133 trq w/o including that early spike).

But it still leave me making a few hp/lb ft torque LESS than other peoples STOCK ST's - but I'm not stock. I have an Intake and a Catback.

So maybe that's because I'm was testing on Dynapack dyno, and people seem to agree that Dynapack's show at least 10% less hp/trq than on a Dynojet.

If so, that would increase my figures to about 139hp/146 trq. (on these forums, 05ZX4ST got 140hp/143trq with an intake/catback).

Maybe that's it ... [???:)]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
firemanfrank said:
I mean, ZX3chick made 129 hp/134 lbft torque on her stock ST. Now that's much more normal of a difference between hp/torque than with my result of 127/142.
That was on a DynoJet too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well if i account for the early spike on my dyno as well it would read 116.8hp and 122.9 tq.. which at a 15% correction to a dynojet would net 134.3hp and 141.3 tq.. which seems about right....hmmmm id like to hit a dynojet to see the differences, but...if that conversion factor is correct im extremely pleased.

·
Registered
165 Posts
that sounds about right.. what these other dynos are trying to do is simulate actual road conditions to get a realworld HP/ TQ number from the car. I ran my mustang on a Mustang dyno in Vancouver WA, and the numbers came in a bit lower than what the motor is rated for also.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Auto0utcast said:
well if i account for the early spike on my dyno as well it would read 116.8 hp and 122.9 tq.. which at a 15% correction to a dynojet would net 134.3 hp and 141.3 tq.. which seems about right....hmmmm id like to hit a dynojet to see the differences, but...if that conversion factor is correct im extremely pleased.
Yeah Travis, I think that we're seriously gonna have to figure in a correction factor here.

For me (comparing my results to 05ZX4ST and Mr. Usher), a 10% conversion is spot on.

So theoretically then, your numbers might be closer to:
128.48 fwhp
135.19 fwtrq

Which at the crank would give you:
151.15 bhp
159.04 lbft. torque

That's WAYYYYY better than your car's stock numbers of 130 hp/135 lbft trq.[thumb]

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah thats a 21hp and 24tq gain over stock at the crank...for a full exhaust, chip and SRI thats pretty damn good if u ask me... now if that same 21/24 were applied to the wheels thatd mean stock i should have been putting out 107hp and 111 tq which is nearly spot on with the focaljet exhaust shootout car.. YEEHAW...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Auto0utcast said:
yeah thats a 21hp and 24tq gain over stock at the crank...for a full exhaust, chip and SRI thats pretty damn good if u ask me... now if that same 21/24 were applied to the wheels thatd mean stock i should have been putting out 107hp and 111 tq which is nearly spot on with the focaljet exhaust shootout car.. YEEHAW...
I think you're on to something!

But you know what Travis, I would REALLY, REALLY like to put my car on a Dynojet.

But I suppose that I can compute my bhp from my trap speed, the next time I race down the 1/4.

(hmm, but the Dynojet is still only 2 hrs. away ....)[;)]

·
Registered
155 Posts
haha....sometime after i get my cams... hows that sound to ya?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts