Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Oct 30th and 31st, I launched into this project in an attempt to subdue a bit of the road noise coming from the back hatch area. Here're some before and after pics.

Oh, and before I forget, if you do this project, for cryin' out loud GET THE ROLLER! I sliced and diced my finger tips on the foil backing ... my fingers hurt for days afterward!

First, remove the rear seat and backs using T-40 and T-45 bits and pick up loose change and old french fries:

Remove the mats and peel back as much of the carpeting as you can (note, I did the wheel wells separately):

Then, start fitting in the 18"x32" pieces and cut to fit:

Lastly, remove the wheel well covering:

Then, fit in pieces as best you can:

Was it worth it? Depends on how much you value a couple of dB reduction, I guess.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This probably should be in interior mods I would think. I'm sure some kind hearted mod is going to notice it and think the same thing. :p

·
Registered
930 Posts
In the Focus, the biggest noise offender has to be the doors...
Do them for sure!!
Also, the side mirrors give off quite a bit of wind noise. I'm still trying to find a solution for that!

BTW, how many 18"X32" pieces did you use?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much of a sound difference is it?

also, how much did yo spend on the mat?
I've had the wheel well covering off since I did the install, and I'm getting noise from that. Just reinstalled that tonight and I'm gonna take it for a spin to a church meeting ... I'll let you know as best I can as to noise reduction.

On eBay, the best I could find was $132 shipped to my door. That's for 36 sq ft. Occasionally, I've heard someone has the same thing for about $121 (shipped).

This probably should be in interior mods I would think. I'm sure some kind hearted mod is going to notice it and think the same thing. :p
Oops! Apparently, it's already been moved.

Sorry!

In the Focus, the biggest noise offender has to be the doors...
Do them for sure!!
Also, the side mirrors give off quite a bit of wind noise. I'm still trying to find a solution for that!

BTW, how many 18"X32" pieces did you use?
Got nine (9) pieces of the stuff. I used about 8-1/2 pieces ... just have a little bit left.

Doors? I bet you're right! I might have to tackle that at some point in the future. DANG! It's gonna be like riding around in a Lincoln! Well ... sort of.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Oops! Apparently, it's already been moved.
Yessir. [;)]

BTW,
Did you weigh all the material?
Just wondering how much it added.

And, nice job! [thumb]
I'll bet it'll be a good bit quieter.
You should cover the tops of the rear shocks, as those bushings tend to creak.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Nice write up! I'm going to be doing this very soon.
So the dynomat is sticky on the underside, and thats how its applied?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't weight the material, but I'd bet it was under 20 lbs.

There's a piece of foam padding (about 6"x6") with one sticky side that I removed from the top of the rear shock and replaced when I put 'er back together. I'm guessing the factory had already figured out that it needed it.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
dub post... sry

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
BTW,
Did you weigh all the material?
Just wondering how much it added.
i got 80sq feet of sound deadening (see my interior upgrades thread)
it weighed 40 lbs, i did the roof, floor, doors, and hatch... 2 layers on the roof and floor... the car is silent minus some wind noise, im very happy with it.

OP: looks really good, you will be happy... do the floor under your seats and you will be really really happy

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
yeah the way i figure it i put 40lbs of sound deadening in my car... so i take the jack and spare out and im square again lol... and the car sounds great

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice write up! I'm going to be doing this very soon.
So the dynomat is sticky on the underside, and thats how its applied?
Yup. There's a backing that you peel off. Watch out, 'cause it's as sticky as fly paper.

... So, that's about 1/2lb/sq ft...not bad for the sound deadening it does.
Yeah, that'd agree with my estimate that my 36 sq ft was under 20 lbs.

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,978 Posts
now... i was reading and i found out there are several types of dynamat sheets, which one should i get, do the expensive ones worth the money?, i wanna kill all the damn sounds i get all the time

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I've been doing several sound deadening projects.....but I use "roofer's tape", also known as "peel and seal" and other names. The stuff is exactly like Dynamat without the big price tag. If you want it heavier, just use two layers.

Here's the link to my door/noise project.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts