Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Two Toned SVT seats, the blue is blue, and the red is a shitty textured pink. The threading in the Red is made up of black, white/cream, and red. I want to dye the white/cream, red. This will saturate the "red" color further till it actually LOOKS red.

Dying the seats themselves would be easy, as the rest is black leather, and shouldn't take the dye. I am however worried about the dye rubbing off onto clothing etc, or getting moldy/smelly. I would obviously allow ample time for drying etc.

Any thoughts. I'm doing it hands down, but it'd be nice to hear some insight/opinions, so i may avoid unecessary bumps along the way

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Do you have passengers often? I'd test drying times etc on the back seats. Once the directions say the dye should be dry, you can test by sitting on the seat with a white towel over it, or some similar method (scrub at the fabric with the towel?) If it bleeds, wait a while (arbitrary) and try again, repeat.

That would be my plan of attack, then you can assume once the back seats are happy, that you can follow a similar tactic for the fronts. I didn't realize the red was made of different colors, haven't ever spent a lot of time eyeing them. The Blues are just blue fabric though right? Mine look it anyway...

What kind of dye are you using? Or is that not sorted out yet? If you follow its directions, I wouldn't be concerned with mold or whatever. Making sure it's dry and colorfast would be my main worry, which may be bypassed with the rear trials?

PS- I don't know about Columbus weather, but if you're doing this soon, keep in mind humid conditions will extend the drying time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[thumb] right on. this was exactly what i was looking for. gave me some ideas i had yet to come across.

and yeah, i haven't sorted out the dye yet, and I'm aware the humidity will elongate drying time. But falls coming, and it'll be a good time to do it.

Check your seats, it's not just blue fabric, but i'm pretty sure you don't have any WHITE/CREAM. This is why the blue looks so much better than the red. I don't know why they did it on the reds. But it looks [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)].

I'd like to maybe do aftermarket seats someday, but until i have some VERY disposable income, I just want to dye the red inserts to not looks so terrible.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I know what you mean SVT_CLARITY! I could have purchased a silver SVT 3-door with red seats instead of my blue 5-door with blue seats (same option - HID's). I didn't care for the red seats (still don't) because the red isn't even close to matching the Infra Red paint - the blue seats are an almost perfect match to Sonic Blue. Plus, the red seats look dirty looking.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I belive if you get some one to prof dye it or you get the dye they use, most of them do not run at all. I have seen an interior dyed and I will tell you the crap doesnt run when done properly. Also be aware dye is like permant marker or stain for seats, Dont get it anywhere on the leather or you will see blotch marks from where it hit it. Dye is very stinky also(IIRC) so make sure all doors and windows are open when you do it and open the hatch/sunroof to allow enough air flow.

·
here and there
23,092 Posts
The leather may indeed take some dye...depending on a few factors. But if it does, the result would be a rich black with a red hue (which would look cool).

Just be aware.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^ sweet thanks guys. . .maybe i'll test out the red dye on the leather of the center rear headrest, wipe it on thouroughly then wipe it off, and see how that affects the leather.

I'm still not sure of my plan of attack, since i have to be careful of the leather. However, i had the idea of a marker and just dotting all the white/cream thread red, which is a TERRIBLE idea and i won't do it. But that idea of application interests me, as it's something i could easily control. we'll see.

·
Registered
167 Posts
any updates on this??

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i want to see pics too. Who did it? HAHHA. sorry guys, havn't done it. I've had other shit going on. And now that i'm making money, i'll probably buy some and save these for a nice kid i met on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts