Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and bought a 3 prong switch how do i hook it up to the brake line and i think a ground? any advice or how to would be cool.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wait?!? what?!? its kinda confusing. the wire thats connecting to the parking brake is the acc? then i have to find a constant 12v like from behind the stereo and it goes to that too? then a grounded wire ok i get it,also how do i know which prong is which?!? oh and can i use the positive side of speaker wire to wire the constant 12v?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
wait?!? what?!? its kinda confusing. the wire thats connecting to the parking brake is the acc? then i have to find a constant 12v like from behind the stereo and it goes to that too? then a grounded wire ok i get it,also how do i know which prong is which?!? oh and can i use the positive side of speaker wire to wire the constant 12v?
You will want to use your ignition wire (green i think) for the 12v power source. That's if you want constant power, meaning you will be able to turn the accessory on even when the car is off, because that ignition wire is always "hot", which is what "constant" power means. Don't use your speaker wire it's a different kind of wire and won't work (98% sure) The switch should have each prong labeled, or at least some do, on which prong is which. Just hook it up and if you have to move the wires around until you get it right.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would but i dont have wires to use that will go all the way to my switch under my e-brake,and i've already drilled and installed the switch. i just havent wired it. Do i necessarly need the constant 12v?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just go buy a roll of red and black power wire at autozone or checkers. It's cheap.

The only way the switch will work is if you have a constant 12v power source running to it.

If you would have just wired your dvd player directly into a power source, like the ignition wire, then it would automatically come on when you turn the key on just like your stereo does and then you can control it from the DVD player for power on/off. Your other option is you can run the power wire directly to the pos battery terminal and then you can turn it on whenever. But that's more wire and going through the firewall and what not.

Why are you using a switch anyway?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
^^^yea ground it! Works fine and it is much easier. Get a single accessory switch with no lights or anything and it will have two spots to put a wire. Split the parking break wire, run it into the first spot and then a new wire from the second spot to a ground.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we'll i got it to work WITHOUT a 12v constant wich kept making the fuse blow! but it works perfect now!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah that whole conversation you had at the beginning of the thread was completely wrong.

Next time try explaining what the switch is for. I understand it's for a DVD player ground pulse so you can watch movies while the car's in gear, but other people (such as thisdude_05) might not.

But, yes, you have it right, just wire the parking brake wire on the DVD player to the ACC prong on the switch, and wire the ground to the ground prong. If that's what you did though, that probably means your switch is upside-down. In that case wire the parking brake to the ACC prong and the ground to the 12V constant prong.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
I have a 3 prong switch with an LED on it. If this is similar to what you have and you are using it to simulate the parking brake being pulled so you can watch movies while driving its easier to just use a relay.

Wire up constant power to the switch and the ground for the switch (to make the led work) and then the acc wire goes to the power side of a relay. ground the relay and then in the normally open positive spot you take the wire coming from the dvd player and attach it there and then ground the other side of that and it works great

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry i havent cleared this... I completed it, parking wire to positive cause the constant 12v kept shorting my radio fuse and ground and it works perfect! i'll post pics soon!

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
the constant 12v kept shorting my radio fuse

I think its becuase of the type of switch your using. did the switch have an LED in it? in mine the constant power line goes into the switch to power the LED. the ground wire on the switch is for the LED. then the other side just connects to the 12v constant when you flip the switch to send power other places.

for what your going after you just need a switch to simply connect to ends of a wire together when you flip it which isn't what LED switches do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts