Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2005 Focus ses, basiclly got it for the gas milage and I also got a helluva deal on the car. I am basiclly and old school guy that owns and has owned many V8 muscle cars over the years most of which have been Fords, so this roller skate I bought is fairly new to me but seems simplistic as far as the engine and trans go. The first thing I have noticed is the total lack of "bolt-on's" for the skate, difficult to even find slotted brake rotors for her, although I did find a set eventually. I saw some dyno numbers on the 2.0 duraslug with and without performance intake and exhaust and I believe the increase was a 8-12 hp @ the wheels........this is after hundreds of dollars for the mods and pissing the neighbors off with the noise the thing will make. I guess what I'm getting at here is it seems as though the best bang for the buck would be N2O added and simply leaving the intake and exhaust allone (perhaps a K & N filter) ! Who in their right mind wants to run the risk of destroying their engine running threw a rain puddle for the sake of 8-12 stinking hp , just doesn't make good sense to me. I might add that at this point I'm not aware of the strength of the rotating assy on the Duraslug, don't know what's forged (if anything) and what's cast but in most cases I think it's safe to say you can spray a 50 hp shot on even the cheapest of cast rotating assy's in stock trim. If you simply want something that goes fast I think a V8 would be the ticket, there is a company that produces a kit for the focus that converts it to a rear wheel drive V8 (4.6 mod motor).....keep some quiet pipes on her and I'd say you'd have yourself a very attractive sleeper, but no fuel conservation.....Just an old guys 2 cents. If anyones interested in the V8 conversion kit for their focus I'll take some time to actually dig up the info on it for yea...........

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
BTW, it's Duratec

I personally, wouldn't go for the slotted rotors...
The V8 swap project is a long, painful swap... But it can be done with time, and of course $$$$...

The best way to get power from this motor is to swap on cosworth parts (intake manifold), and a Focus Sport or HiBoost Turbo kit... and Dyno Tuning to calibrate the ECU for the most power.

Much more power and cheaper in the long run than a V8 swap.

http://focussport.com/turbocharger.htm
http://hiboost.com/
http://www.marcymotorsport.com (pioneer in duratec development, new parts are being engineered at this moment)

·
Registered
111 Posts
im happy with the performancee from the duratec engine. of couse i also have the 2.3. theres been ricers comment on that engine

·
Registered
545 Posts
i think a v8 in a focus would just be too much power and weight to put in one of these little cars. One of my favorite parts of the focus is how well it handles, i do some some aftermarket handling upgrades, but even at stock it holds the road pretty well. IMO, there is more to speed than raw power.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
start with i/e intake exhuast. they are relativly cheap, and if and when you go turbo you can keep the exhuast, and then of course sell the intake.

these make decent numbers on this motor, and will increase throttle response and accleration noticably.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Check out your stock intake from underneath. It goes into the fenderwell right above the plastic splashguard or air deflector or whatever it is that extends from the radiator core. Inside the fender is a giant plastic box full of permeable foam that can only be replaced as an entire unit. YES that is what they did, you might notice the little green test button thingy from the top- that's to tell you when it's time to replace the air cleaner for $300- YES that is the price.

You might also note that all this is in front of the wheels. Water from puddles would generally be splashed in the other direction unless my fisics edumacation id complitly wong, or the car was in reverse. This is why I have a cone filter attatched to the end of my MAF tube (the part just before the 90 that goes inside the fender to meet with the stock air cleaner), and also because I'm a cheap ass who would rather spend $25 on a cone filter than $150+ on a CAI. For my frugal attitude, I've been accused of being part of the conspiracy to put Focus part makers out of business. Truthfully, in comparison to parts for other cars, the Focus parts are not outrageously priced. All little motor stuff is more expensive when compared to older motors. There are simple capitalistic reasons for this.

The little motor can be rather peppy, and these cars can easily slide in under 15 secs without FI or internals other than cams. It can also get much better fuel economy, handles curved roads much better, and is safer in the rain than say a 71 GTX or a Maverick with a 351C. Lets not even get into the lap belts, 4 wheel drum brakes, metal dashboards, non-collapsible steering columns, metal door pulls, and metal rear mirror safety concerns.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
And the fact that older cars can range from 2,800 lbs. to 5,000!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Actualy Focus Freak, some of the older cars could be very svelte... if memory serves correctly, the 1964 Pontiac Tempest GTO option even with a convertible weighed a mere 2500 lbs with a 389 tri-power (3x 2bbls) that produced 389 hp. Dealer options on the 1962-63 Chevrolet Bel Aire included aluminum hood, fenders, and front bumper to go along with the 409-425hp 409 motor. That car is considered by most to be the first muscle car, although I think the earlier and same year Dodge 300's with the 383 and 413 cross ram motors should be up for consideration.

Oh yeah..... [welcome] to FF Sonaflubber, enjoy your car!!

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Well sonaflubber, how much searching have you actually done? I gotta say your statement about the lack of bolt ons is very incorrect, there are ALL the Bolt ons intake, header, exhaust, there are multiple highly recommended tuners out there for chips and flashers. Then you got the Hi boost or Focus sport Turbo kits and plenty of nitrous options.

I might be young to you but I know how you old fashoined muscle car guys think, if your gonna pay over a hundred for some part you want to see a 14-16hp gain. Well on today's 4cyl while there is some room for improvement the gains are minimal but every horsepower makes a large difference for us. If you also looked into SRI (short ram intake) you would know you can get a good 6hp to the wheels and not ever think once about hydro lock, and I am not sure of the exact #'s for the exhaust but more than likely no more than 4. Anyway for the Duratec Cosworth is the top brand you can see an EASY 200hp N/A just from a few of their parts.

So if you get the Cosworth Cams, exhaust, intake, intake manifold, Throttle body, forged internals, header, and then throw a Turbo/ nitrous or both on there you will like what you see. Now the fun part of these cars is the tuning you can push a crazy amount of boost for the track OR you can tune it down and have a beast on the street and keep it as a daily driver.

So what I am saying is while the V8 is nice it has been proven over and over that a 4cyl can be built to blow away some of the most built cars out there. So just b/c your "roller skate" is starting off slow, look more into it before you dub the duratec 4cyl worthless.

There are a lot of options for this motor, and I bet you the way stuff is moving the badass V8 is not gonna be so bad ass anymore.

Welcome to FF
Jon

Here are a few sites for parts.

www.focussport.com <-- Sells cosworth parts
www.hiboost.com
www.newedgeperformance.com <-- Sells random parts at good prices.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
just got on the forum and u are already bashing your car. u dont seem like u have done much research before posting and posting thinks like we have no clue like the v-8 swap been done on a few different cars including one with the svt engine with the SC on it. theres been v-6 swaps. and there are many bolt ons for your car. granted that u are limited in the company i can get them from and most are not well know names like in the v-8 world but there there. some have gotten there foci over 500 whp (tom) so this DURASLUG is can pull off some crazy things. also didnt u get it for the GAS, so why are u even worried about moding and doing a v-8 swap when u go the car for its gas mileage

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yeah why knock a car you own. Granted our cars are not the fastest on earth but than again there better than honda's just cause there FORD lol.. There are plenty of upgrades and good bangs for your buck just remember your focus weighs alot less than a old v8 and what not. and as far as 2005 and 2006 mods are i dont think there even halfway finished alot of companys are prolly just testing things and if your looking for breaks just use ebay or GOOGLE or check out some of the sites that are affiliated with this one. If you want to waste money on a v8 why not make a car like toms :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Slotted brake rotors: old debate on here that i'll run the risk of bringing up. They're mostly for show. Waste of $$$. (IMHO)

Nitrous, intake, exhaust, etc.: Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think it's wortwhile spending hundreds of dollars for 8-12 hp gain... not when you can spend a little more (say around 1K) for a full nitrous setup with all the safety niceties, and get a 75 shot. From what I've read, the engine can take a 75 shot, btw... as long as you run 94 octane and colder plugs and get it tuned.

Car Bashing: Of course it's a slow car. It's not MADE to be a racer. Don't get me wrong... you can massage a lot of power out of this engine with FI. But calling the engine a Duraslug? Please... these cars are great for what they were made for (and reasonably quick)... in fact, they've gotten awards for best compact. Where else could I have gotten a car with heated seats and mirrors, leather interior, moonroof, etc. etc. for $14K brand new?

Might as well compare a 351 mustang to a F1 car and call it a WinSLOW

·
Registered
176 Posts
Compact cars aren't built for straightline performance. If you want that you could save yourself $10k by getting a foxbody Mustang GT. You can easily coax over 400 HP out of it with the money you save and have a few bucks to spare on suspension if you want it not to handle like a wet couch.

The reason bolt-ons are sparse and expensive is because there isn't a market for it like there is for Mustangs, Trans Ams, etc. They can afford to sell aftermarket parts for those at rock bottom prices because you can pick up a used one dirt cheap and have it running 11's in no time...supply and demand. They churn out tons of pieces and make their money on quantity. Modifying Focuses is a niche market and will likely never be inexpensive.

Also, nitrous is the "best bang for the buck" for a reason. Yes, it's an inexpensive way to get a lot of horsepower out of an engine but it's a quick and easy way to ruin one as well. I would never spray on an engine I owned...unless I had cash to waste and wanted to see what connecting rods look like airborne.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
... some of the older cars could be very svelte...
Sorry W/N, but almost every single one of the older "muscle" cars were in the 3,500 lb to 4,000 lb category.

Not really "svelte" by today's standards.

the 1964 Pontiac Tempest GTO option even with a convertible weighed a mere 2500 lbs with a 389 tri-power (3x 2bbls) that produced 389 hp.
Nope. The Tri-powered option made 348 hp at 4900 rpm (while the 4 Barrel version only made 325 hp at 4800 rpm).

And your weight estimate was off by 1,200 lbs. The topless GTO actually weighed in at over 3,700 lbs. from the factory!

-Motor Trend Review: Tri-Power Goat-
Road Test: 1964 Pontiac Tempest GTO

Bone Stock Performance Numbers:
(4 speed, 2 people on board, no slicks/tunes/special gears)
0-60: 7.7 sec.
1/4 mile: 15.8 @ 93 mph
Mpg: 12.9 mpg
(10 mpg low/16 mpg high)

Numbers are about the same as my Focus ST!
('cept that I get about 25 mpg)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mastodon said:
Compact cars aren't built for straightline performance. If you want that you could save yourself $10k by getting a foxbody Mustang GT. You can easily coax over 400 HP out of it with the money you save and have a few bucks to spare on suspension if you want it not to handle like a wet couch....

Also, nitrous is the "best bang for the buck" for a reason. Yes, it's an inexpensive way to get a lot of horsepower out of an engine but it's a quick and easy way to ruin one as well. I would never spray on an engine I owned...unless I had cash to waste and wanted to see what connecting rods look like airborne.
Agree with the first part...

As for nitrous ruining your engine...

I've never juiced, but plan on it, and there are plenty on here that have. Like anything else there's a way to do it safely with minimum harm to your engine.

Yeah, you could pick up a used nitrous set for around $300.00 and wire it up without a tune, and some do. And kiss your engine goodbye.

For around the $1K that I mentioned, you're looking at a nitrous kit, WOT switch, RPM window Switch, Fuel Cutoff switch, Bottle warmer, colder plugs, high octane gas, and a nice tune. That should see you as safe as any FI platform. You couldn't spend $1K on any mods and get 75 hp out of it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi & welcome to FF!

Sure, if you are used to the V8 world an extra 10-15hp doesn't sound like much. However, against the stock 120hp (IIRC) your 2.0L SES has at the rear wheels, you are talking a +/- 10% increase in HP & torque with just a CAI & Cat-Back. IMHO, $500-$700 (less if you shop carefully and/or visit the FF Buy/Sell forum) is worthwhile for a 10% increase in performance.

A similar PERCENTAGE power increase in power on an '06 Mustang would require something on the order of an additional 30-40whp (I have no idea what that would cost by comparison).

Go ahead and start with the CAI & exhaust as the car will run better and be more fun all of the time, not just when you hit the juice. Also, I'm far from an expert, but I would guess that these initial mods would bring out the best in a nitrous kit as well as simplify the tuning.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Black&Tan said:
Agree with the first part...

As for nitrous ruining your engine...

I've never juiced, but plan on it, and there are plenty on here that have. Like anything else there's a way to do it safely with minimum harm to your engine.

Yeah, you could pick up a used nitrous set for around $300.00 and wire it up without a tune, and some do. And kiss your engine goodbye.

For around the $1K that I mentioned, you're looking at a nitrous kit, WOT switch, RPM window Switch, Fuel Cutoff switch, Bottle warmer, colder plugs, high octane gas, and a nice tune. That should see you as safe as any FI platform. You couldn't spend $1K on any mods and get 75 hp out of it.
Agree. Nitrous can be very safe if you use safety measures and common sense.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Spray doesn't do anymore damage to your motor then any FI does.....
the driver can do all the damage himself if he so pleases.... if done properly and safely NOS is a good addition..
but if done cheaply and ran at every stop sign to beat every civic, rsx, sti, evo.. that one sees... i have news for you, NOS or not thats going to ruin your motor...
as for the aftermarket for our cars... i find there are limited parts to a degree... but i don't run into the issue of having so many parts its hard to tell which companies are sh!t and which are good...

a lot of companies make crap parts for honda's and what not.. cause someone will buy them...
well when it comes to the focus.. those crap manufactuers are few and far between.... there isn't the market for them to make money... thus.. most focus aftermarket manufactuers are legit and preoduce a good product...

end rant
D

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I have intake, exhaust, tune....I plan on getting nitrous, cams and a throttle body....once its paid off. lol

·
Registered
545 Posts
damn, only running a 17 with intake, exhaust and tune, that seems slow to me, but i have never run a 1/4

1 - 20 of 38 Posts