Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was graciously given a Focus Se while my car is is in the shop. The focus that i am driving right now has a ATX and a duratec-- the duratec that i am driving seems alot quiter than my Zetec. I was wondering if the duratec or the zetec is the better engine. I think if the duratec was paired with a MTX i think it might be better [shhh] [???:)]
i just want yalls opinon

thanks [cheers]

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
better in which way?

dependability?

power making?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
use the search button next time...

neither engine is better in every way it all depends how you are going to use it

yes the zetec is a 20 year old design but it is still pumping out 350+whp and has much wider aftermarket support at the moment.

but the duratec has a much better port design in the head and COP's, plus higher compression in stock form so it can easily make more NA power.

if you want a supercharger you need a zetec.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
My answer and the usual reaction this question gets =P

Attachments

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
use the search button next time...
If people did this, the forum would die...

You will find threads like this will make people a little edgy...btw, not all d-tecs are quite...mine is not and it's stock. Although it is an st and not a se.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
I love my 2.0L Dtec. Very fun to drive. Power when I need it. Haven't broken anything yet.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well -- i went and test drove a 06' ST , very quiet and very responsive-- i would trade mine in a heart-beat-- it was fully loaded-- to bad it was 12,900- plus ive only had mine for a year [:(] [bawling]

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
That would be fun. Next time you see me I should be boosted. HEHE.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've got to weigh in and tell you why I dislike the Duratec.

There are probably 10 theads on this already, we just started another one - Whatever. I've never said my piece about this. Until now.

Duratec reasons I do not like:

Terrible mess of wires, and hoses that are in my opinion -unsightly at best
Harder to work on in some respects
Not nearly as big of aftermarket support (for now)
To me, the engine is backwards. header out front is the way I like it.
Stock rods are questionable, Zetec has been tested and proven with low-boost on stock internals

Sorry if I have offended any of you Duratec guys. We will have a new motor to pick on or love soon enough. MkIII 2010/2011 Focus should be here soon.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well with the exhaust the the back mean less bends for the flow. Also for the same reason it is good to have the intake mani in front, less bends. The Dtec makes more stock power except for the SVT. Also the Dtec comes in a 2.3 for those that want a slightly larger bore. Yes it looks like a bigger mess. People have made a how-to or two about cleaning it up under the hood. Oh and almost forgot. Not sure about the Zetec but the Dtec has a strong head.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I think if building the motor, either can be made to perform very well.

but... zetec fails when it comes to oil filter location =P

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Don't they make an remote location kit for that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally like the Duratec better. The Zetec is more visually appealing but I like how the duratec is lighter and produces a slight bit more power stock. Also, I like how the header is towards the firewall. When I thought about it, it did seem backwards at first but makes more sense to me now. I like the design. I have a stock Zetec and my friend has a stock Duratec, and I really like the duratec. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. Both can be modified heavily and can produce plenty of power in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts