Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've just got my new crower cams installed, setting the lash was fun.

I had 2 extra sets of buckets so I was able to set the exhaust side perfectly and they are all at 0.011

However I didn't have ones quite big enough for the intake side and as a result I have a few at 0.012

my Haynes book lists the lash as .008 to .0011 but that has to be a misprint. extra zero! so I am 1/1000 over.

is it a big deal or will 1/1000 over be ok?

Thanks..

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The lash should be the same as the oem cams vs the aftermarket ones as the base circle will be the same. I wouldn't sweat 1/1000th at all. What cams did you install?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It Doesn't yet :)
its sitting on the floor in my garage, I just got the head on yesterday, and the cams in today, I'm waiting for a timing cover from the USA and then I can button it up and pull the 2.0 out of mine hopefully this weekend.
its the first time I've been into one of theses engines so I'm a little lost at times, everything I've done before was the older ford V8's so almost everything is different.

I spend the best part of a day a month ago trying to find cam bearings for it :)
Now I know why no one sells them, I'm glad I didn't call anyone, I would have sounded like such a tool :)
its fun though, and I am learning lots.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
D-tech cam bearings= I need to order a set too. You just need the rear ones only there's more pressure on the rear ones vs the front ones. You have a set of cams so you need 3 sets of bearings.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Adjustable tappets are a nice option, makes setting the lash a lot easier.

Replacement cam bearings would have been nice for Honda V4 cycle engines, so much "float" we had a tool to hold the cam away from the tappets for clearance checking.

idobson - sounds like a REALLY nice build.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
D-tech cam bearings= I need to order a set too. You just need the rear ones only there's more pressure on the rear ones vs the front ones. You have a set of cams so you need 3 sets of bearings.
He needs to order more cam bearings Roger as you do to. Yours could be worn out. Have you checked yours? I need to order 2 regular ones & one sd one for the rear cam.[like]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not going to order until I find a good source for the adjustable tappets.

No point doing it twice.

Once those cam bearings tighten it up, the adjustable tappets will make setting the clearances a lot easier.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Not going to order until I find a good source for the adjustable tappets.

No point doing it twice.

Once those cam bearings tighten it up, the adjustable tappets will make setting the clearances a lot easier.
Yea, thats a good point, I need to do that.^^^^^^^^[twothumbs]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn that's kinda what I figured, especially a new cam with the Parkerizing on it because I'm assuming as soon as that wipes off the gap will get bigger right?

I think the cam card listed .006 intake and .008 exhaust hot as the clearance.
any ideas on what that would be at 50 Fahrenheit?

I guess another trip to the wreckers to get some .502 -602 buckets is in order, or if I owned a micrometer I could figure out how big the existing ones are and actually order new ones :)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I would of checked the clearance w/ the stock cams & if in spec, then install the aftermarket cams & then checked the clearance. The base circle is going to be the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my 2.3 head came disassembled with rusty cruddy cams so I didn't want to put them back in.

However I did check the lash on the 2.5 head that came off with only 3000 miles on it and the exhausts were .011 pretty much and the intakes were .009 and .010

I didn't want to rob the buckets from that head since it is complete and who knows I might be using that in the future.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
.010 int/ .012 exh. cold is what cranes says. Yours should be similar, if not the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I picked up more buckets and the lash is down to .010 on the intakes now, that's the best I could get it without having to buy all new buckets, so I'm going to try it at that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well I picked up more buckets and the lash is down to .010 on the intakes now, that's the best I could get it without having to buy all new buckets, so I'm going to try it at that.
Whaty about the exhaust lash? A tad bit more?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts