Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions.
I hit a truck tire tread on the highway, and the damage is about $1,800. Other than the radiator and A/C condenser it's all cosmetic damage.
The insurance company valued the car at only $2032, so of course they want to total it, but all 4 of their "comparables" are common 4 door sedans with Zetec's and automatics.
Mine is a 2004 ZX-3 with 2.3 Duratec, MTX 5-speed with all power accessories.
They should be comparing my car to similar models with the same drivetrain, not common ass 4-door sedans with a completely different motor and transmission.
It's in reasonably good condition, with stone chips and a few door dings, no rust, and no previous accident damage.

I can buy it back for $467 in salvage value, and retain a clear title.

No question I want to fix the car, as I know it's history and trust it as my daily driver.

I think they're low on the estimate, as this model is less common, and I'm very unlikely to be able to find a nice ZX-3 2.3 Duratec replacement.

What is a 2004 ZX-3 2.3 Duratec manual, in good condition, going for these days?

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They totaled my 2008 Focus because of rear quarter panel damage and side curtain airbag deployment. Mine wasn't even valued that high? I got a check for 1,100 and kept the car with a salvage title. Georgia will not title a salvage title so I just pulled everything off and slowly looking for another Mark 2.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They totaled my 2008 Focus because of rear quarter panel damage and side curtain airbag deployment. Mine wasn't even valued that high? I got a check for 1,100 and kept the car with a salvage title. Georgia will not title a salvage title so I just pulled everything off and slowly looking for another Mark 2.
Wow, that sucks.
Obviously yours was a 2.0 Duratec instead of a 2.3.
Was it a 2 door or a sedan?

·
Registered
270 Posts
At this age, any difference in features or engine is going to amount to pennies at best. Sad but true.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You got seriously screwed over.

I had almost $3,000 worth of repair work done to my 2010 last year.
I have Geico insurance.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I agree. Paul got a very raw deal from his insurance company. :(
I do believe the price they are offering you is fair.
The reason I say this is my 2010 goes for about $4,000 around here clean.
My brother bought a 2005 back in 2012 for $3,500.

Unfortunately manual transmissions typically have less value.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this age, any difference in features or engine is going to amount to pennies at best. Sad but true.
I know that, but I want to get the best deal I can.
Plus I like the car, I know its history, and I trust it on the road.
I travel a lot for work, and I trust an older car that I know more than a newer car when I'm 1,000 miles from home. :cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do believe the price they are offering you is fair.
The reason I say this is my 2010 goes for about $4,000 around here clean.
My brother bought a 2005 back in 2012 for $3,500.

Unfortunately manual transmissions typically have less value.

It's fair, but not good.
When I bought this back in 2008, I searched for months to find a fully loaded ZX3 manual with the 2.3.
An automatic is only worth more if you WANT an automatic. LOL
Many cars bring much more with manuals than slushboxes.

I'm not saying it's worth $4K, but I do think $2,[email protected],800 would be reasonable.
I'm going to have to pay the salvage value either way.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I believe $2,000 is definitely fair.
My brother's car was only seven years old at the time with brand new tires. It was a fully loaded model SES manual transmission.
Your car is 16 years old. 7 year old car $3,500. 16 year old car $2,500 I think not.

Regardless I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes I got screwed over. I really enjoyed the car..... and it was worth more to me than the 2,000 valuation the insurance company rammed down my throat. I actually drove it home after the accident and had it in my garage. The ******* insurance adjuster would not value it without first towing it to their garage. I should have told them to get screwed... because once they had it in their possession you are done. I knew about the Georgia salvage title fiasco and tried everything to keep a clear title. Once they had possession you cannot get it back until you sign over the clear title to them. So minding your business and some asshat hits you from behind. Now you get screwed over on valuation. No wonder personnel injury lawyers are everywhere.

I will take the raping on the Focus.... but I drive a really nice 1996 ford Bronco everyday. If some kid rear ends me ……. things might get real crazy. i know the insurance company will try and low ball for around 4,000 but these things are going to worth 10,000 in a few years …… I'm not giving away 6,000 without someone getting a beat down.

Sure you can get classic insurance... but most will only cover if you do not daily drive... or keep mileage very low.

If you try agreed valuation you better have tons of receipts to prove your ride is worth more than blue book.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts