Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sudden started misfiring. I changed the spark plugs to platinum pre-gapped four prong plugs, it helped. But its still not firing properly. I checked all of the cop's and they were all firing. Could the cop's be bad even though they are firing? Should I replace those or save my money, because money is something I dont have alot of right now. I was told that the duratec's dont like platinum plugs, why? I dont know. I was also told that even though the gap spec is .51 , some duratec guys have luck with .6. Should I swap in those plugs instead of the platinums?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You might also try replacing the coil pack. Plug wires may be bad as well. It almost sounds like it is time for a complete tune up.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Duratecs like platinum plugs fine. You won't see any gains with a 4 prong plug over a 1 prong plug though. Electricity will automatically take the path of least resistance.

And to the above poster, the D-tecs don't have plug wires. We have a coil for each plug mounted right on top.

It sounds like one of the coils is indeed going bad. This exact same thing happened to me when I was not careful when washing my engine and some water got inside the spark plug hole and ruined the coil. Started misfiring like crazy. Is the engine throwing any codes by chance to tell you which cylinder it might be?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Duratecs dont have wires or coilpacks, they run a Coil on plug set up.

951 ZX3, its not that duratecs don't like those plugs the bosch plat. 4 are complete garbage. Start off with a good set of either stock plugs from motorcraft or maybe NGK, if you checked the coils and they are sparking you can try looking into your injectors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just out of curiousity why do you say the bosch's are garbage? in all of my experience with volkswagen bosch has been a very respectable company and has delivered great products to me...

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
With my own personal test I had a set of stock motorcraft plugs with 80,000 miles on them. I compared the spark from that with a brand new Bosch Plat 4 plug, the 80,000 mile motorcraft had more spark then all 4 of the new bosch.

Also working at a ford dealer for 2 years I have seen countless people bring their cars in and the plugs were fialing to produce enough spark for proper fire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all Thanks to all for the responses.

It sounds like one of the coils is indeed going bad. This exact same thing happened to me when I was not careful when washing my engine and some water got inside the spark plug hole and ruined the coil. Started misfiring like crazy. Is the engine throwing any codes by chance to tell you which cylinder it might be?
The CEL was blinking and then stayed solid after a while. Replaced the spark plugs and disconected the battery to reset the light. Drove it and it was better but still not firing properly, the CEL did not turn back on.

Did your ruined coil still fire the spark plug? All of mine still fire.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Yes it would still fire but would cause a random miss at certain times.

I wish you had read the code. lol. It would have told you which it was and you could go from there. I can almost be certain that regardless of plug type, a coil is going bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish you had read the code. lol. It would have told you which it was and you could go from there. I can almost be certain that regardless of plug type, a coil is going bad.
Yeah, Prolly should have. I dont Have a scanner and I heard that Auto Zone will no longer pull the code for you, something about taking business away from shops or something.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Duratecs dont have wires or coilpacks, they run a Coil on plug set up.
Maybe I used the wrong terminology, but they do make replacements for the coil on plug. I have read in this forum that they do go bad, just like any other electronic part in the system. Thats what I meant by replacing the coil pack (maybe should have said the coil on plug and wire assemblies).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts