Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I put a new 2.3 in my ST. The stock motor was consuming massive amounts of oil. (Had 77k on the clock, and every oil change was done by a Ford dealer.) I have since put a new to me, (used) motor in it. According to the seller it had 35k on it, although I believe it sat for a while. Anyway here is my question.

My car seems to be slowly consuming oil, and it almost appears intermittent. Could this be a PCV issue? I put a new elbow and hose on it when the new motor came in. The car is making over 205lbs of compression on every cylinder, so I wouldn't think it'd be burning oil, and the valve train is as quiet as any duratec I've heard. Thoughts /advice on it? I know people have ran catch cans before, and needing to run a catch can to me sounds like it would be pushing some oil thru the PCV system.

Any wisdom / advice you guys have would be appreciated, as I'm about ready to trade this car in on a new Mustang at this point. (I've been trying to hold out for the next ST...)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Those seem like pretty good compression numbers, if there are no obvious external leaks I would say to check your coolant to see if there is any oil in it. You said you bought a used engine that had been sitting for a while, so it could have a bad head gasket from the impact (salvaged car) or the elements if it was sitting outside, that is allowing some of the oil to seep into the water passageways.

Also depending on how much oil you're losing it could possibly be PCV, but you must remember, most of that oil from the PCV usually gets sucked into the cylinders to be burned anyway, so unless the PCV valve is bad I wouldn't think that you should be losing large amounts of oil through the PCV...unless you're running boost.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant is clean, checked, and always at full. No external leaks, been under the car twice, parked it on several occasion on perfectly clean cement so any leaks would get noticed. Really wonder if its PCV, or what.

As for remember the oil from the PCV gets sucked into the motor? I know how it works, (I just put a motor in the car) That is the entire reason I'm wondering if it is the PCV, as it would be then burning the oil up, hence no sign of where its going.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry that you took my comment as an insult to your intelligence but it was simply meant as a pointer.

The reason I mentioned it was because from reading the part of your OP where you mention "needing to run a catch can to me sounds like it would be pushing some oil thru the PCV system", one could get the impression that you were under the assumption that NO oil was supposed to come out of the PCV.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry didn't mean to jump on you, just frustrated with this car. But yes I do understand how the PCV system works, just wondering if other people are finding it normal to have to add oil in between oil changes on it. My idea was to run catch cans and see how much oil is getting spent that way, and if that equals the oil I am losing. There are no leaks on the motor, (its still clean) and its parked on clean pavement each night.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No offense taken, btw running a catch can to measure the amount of oil coming from the PCV sounds like a good idea.

I was contemplating getting one myself when I'm done building my 2.3, after seeing all that gunk that was in the ports before I cleaned the head, but now I'm leaning toward running a hose to the ground because I don't see a good place to mount a catch can inside the bay.

·
Registered
128 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
18 Posts
No offense taken, btw running a catch can to measure the amount of oil coming from the PCV sounds like a good idea.

I was contemplating getting one myself when I'm done building my 2.3, after seeing all that gunk that was in the ports before I cleaned the head, but now I'm leaning toward running a hose to the ground because I don't see a good place to mount a catch can inside the bay.
Wouldnt that drop the oil on the asphalt or would there be some kind of valve you can open to drain it when you please?

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would drop it on the ground the way he's stating to run it, but its not that much oil generally.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welp, I installed a nice "Sun Drop" catch can off the valve cover vent, so we'll see how much oil it catches, if any. I'll post pics of it tomorrow, as its pretty hilarious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interested too, I burn about a quart - quart and a half between 5000 mile oil changes. Post up what works, because my car runs fantastic, just looses a lot of oil.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What oil are you using? Factory synth blend?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was using Mobil 1 5w20, This last change I went to Syntec 10/30 to see if the thicker stuff get sucked out less. Seems to be about the same.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I burned through about 2qts of Mobil one in about a week of hard driving. I've heard honda guys comment that they can't keep Mobil 1 in their engines. I would swap in the factory Ford synth blend and then re-evaluate the situation before tearing your hair out.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you think the engine sat for some time the rings could need to be re-seated. Check the oil and run the piss out of it and it should eventually get better. I ran an engine that sat for 10 years and it was blowing oil out of the dipstick - an hour or two of 5K+ RPM and everything is back to normal..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts