Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Duratec Maintenance Items

2471 Views 30 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  robbfisher
Hey all, I've tried looking through the sticky posts but didn't see what I am looking for. I just bought a 2005 ZX3 for Lemons duty, and I'm hoping to make it as reliable as possible (within reason, of course). It has 265,000 miles. What are some maintenance items I should do right away besides an oil change?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 181k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 199k miles
4,994 Posts
Hey all, I've tried looking through the sticky posts but didn't see what I am looking for. I just bought a 2005 ZX3 for Lemons duty, and I'm hoping to make it as reliable as possible (within reason, of course). It has 265,000 miles. What are some maintenance items I should do right away besides an oil change?
Fuel filter, spark plugs, valve cover gasket. New serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Note that the fuel filter clips do not come out all the way.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
Thanks! I'll put those items on the list. Could you say more about the fuel filter clips?
The clips are a white u. You squeeze the tabs together and push them up about 1/4 of an inch. There is one bolt that holds the bracket on. Not much room to work. Do not pull down too much or you will bend the fuel lines which are plastic and discontinued I believe. The back clip is upside down. Plenty of YouTube videos. If you break a clip don't despair. You can take the too wide new clips that come with the new filter and rub them on concrete until they are the right thickness.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
The fuel lines will pull straight out if the clip is in the right position. A slight twist of the filter while you hold the line should be sufficient to remove the filter.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clips are a white u. You squeeze the tabs together and push them up about 1/4 of an inch. There is one bolt that holds the bracket on. Not much room to work. Do not pull down too much or you will bend the fuel lines which are plastic and discontinued I believe. The back clip is upside down. Plenty of YouTube videos. If you break a clip don't despair. You can take the too wide new clips that come with the new filter and rub them on concrete until they are the right thickness.
I can push the tabs in easily with my sausage fingers.
The fuel lines will pull straight out if the clip is in the right position. A slight twist of the filter while you hold the line should be sufficient to remove the filter.
Ahhh, I see, that makes sense to me now. Thank you for your explanation!!!

· Registered
956 Posts
Of course, you change the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley if they are worn or noisy but good chance these have been changed more than once in its 265k life (maybe).

Secondarily, I'd test the coolant or just change it in the near future if cloudy. I'd also refresh power steering and brake fluid if they are black. For an auto transmission, if the fluid is very dirty, you may want to start by sucking out a quart and adding fresh Mercon V. If you have the stock air filter that must be very dirty by now.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course, you change the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley if they are worn or noisy but good chance these have been changed more than once in its 265k life (maybe).

Secondarily, I'd test the coolant or just change it in the near future if cloudy. I'd also refresh power steering and brake fluid if they are black. For an auto transmission, if the fluid is very dirty, you may want to start by sucking out a quart and adding fresh Mercon V. If you have the stock air filter that must be very dirty by now.
I think I will definitely change the coolant, power steering, and brake fluids in addition to the transmission fluid (I have a manual transmission car). Since this is a Lemons car, I need to keep the overall budget down, but fluids are inexpensive and hard for the judges to see.

And of course, as a safety item, brakes don't count against the $500 limit.

· Registered
956 Posts
Sure. If you have a lot of vibrations (which these cars are known for) and can beat the hell out the car, you will see a lot about changing the motor mounts. Passenger side and dogbone mounts always recommended to be OEM. I do fine with a cheap afteremarket for the driver side mount, though.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure. If you have a lot of vibrations (which these cars are known for) and can beat the hell out the car, you will see a lot about changing the motor mounts. Passenger side and dogbone mounts always recommended to be OEM. I do fine with a cheap afteremarket for the driver side mount, though.
I think I'll check them, and maybe find spares in the junkyard if necessary.

oh yea, the rear brake shoes could last 267k without changing but could be paper thin by now. Make sure to check that before you ruin the drums.
The rear drums will get converted to discs, since brakes aren't part of the $500 limit, and I like stopping.

· Registered
956 Posts
I would not bother with junkyard motor mounts because it would probably end up in disappointment for the trouble. I'd rather go with new cheap aftermarket and be open to changing them every 2-12 months (which I have in the past).

Pull some spare fuel filter clips while you are at the junkyard. That thin clip is on other points on the fuel lines.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not bother with junkyard motor mounts because it would probably end up in disappointment for the trouble. I'd rather go with new cheap aftermarket and be open to changing them every 2-12 months (which I have in the past).

Pull some spare fuel filter clips while you are at the junkyard. That thin clip is on other points on the fuel lines.
Great tips. Thanks! Someone mentioned the fuel filter clips being a headache above. It's a good idea to pull a few extras.

· Registered
956 Posts
Fuel pumps in these cars would be old and near end of life if they still worked...None of my foci have needed a fuel pump yet but I have practiced cutting an access hole and took pics at the junk yard for the day when I need to replace the fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts