Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it isnt common around here, but Im wondering if anyone has used the Ford Racing head for our motors. Wondering how much better than stock it is with a good set of Stage 2 cams or even beyond. I know the 2.0 head flows less than the 2.3, so a head upgrade would work wonders with bolt-ons and cams.

This is something Id like to do within the next year or so (hopefully) and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of info about it in a sea of CAI and exhaust threads. Hopefully we can get a good discussion going [clap]

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
What does it do for a 2.0 to put a 2.3 head on it? I mean you gotta have cams (prolly stage 2 w/ springs and retainers) rite? I ask b/c I don't know. but it seems to me thats a bunch of money? how much would a 2.3 head cost? and how much WHP would you get when your done? I think it would be good if honhon would chime in b/c I think he's doing this accual thing.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ a good question!

Im also curious how "ready" the FR head is out of the box. I see it comes with valves and springs right? are they heavy duty enough to handle cams? is there any work to do to clean up casting defects or any worthwhile porting that can be done on top of what it already has?

·
1,999 Posts
I would think that would have to port but IDK for sure this is all fogien territory to me. and w/ a bigge head I'd also think that you'd need better cams as well, but then again I'm MR. noob on this subject.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the main goal for the swap is to make the motor more efficient in getting air in and out quicker... the more air and fuel you can get in and out faster your going to produce more power.

i have a 2.3L head sitting in my room waiting for a set of cams(possibly stage 3's) and im waiting for a 2.0 short block assembly. and the odds and ends to get it all assemble also want to port and polish the head... and possibly larger valves... my goal is to hit atleast 200whp with the stock stroke and bore of the 2.0L block.

·
1,999 Posts
nice honhon, thats a good goal, 200 would be nice but I would assume w/ that you should get about 185-190 w stock stroke and bore but thats just IMO 200 is very possible. and do you need cams or are getting them b/c you want 200whp. I would think the stock 2.0 cam's are diff form the 2.3 cams but IDK or is it the same cams just bigger head.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im guessing that a 2.0 with stage 3 cams would like to spin pretty high, what are you looking at for max RPM Honhon? Has anyone thrown a stock 2.0 and a stock 2.3 head on a flowbench? Im interested in the diff and how much improvement can be made on top of that.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
good question? i would get a hold of Egz, he knows alot about this subject. as for buying a new block for better air flow, buying a ford racing head you would get better air flow but its more dependable for power, if you ever go the f/i .

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i was wanting to get the f2 header, because it would come with cams and springs. i would get the stage two's, i think with all of that you would have a pretty beasty focus.
but there is alot of money to throw down on something like that, but i feel it would be well worth it.

·
1,999 Posts
ummm f2 header comes w/ cams and spring....since when, or are you buying them w/ the header. I don't get it dude.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think he meant the f2 head and cam package

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha its ok, its ok. maybe this should be expanded to all dura head options, even the F2 (havent heard much more about it than whats on their site).

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
well... my goal is 200whp... i will try and get there as much as possible... if all goes well, i should get alittle bit of moola from my wife's settlement which will help and start the build up of the motor, but i want my car to be an all around car also... so that means the suspension will also get revamped...

which means a set of Tein Coilovers coupled with a massive omni kit... the coilovers i want are $1400

so i gotta keep them in mind too... [thumb]

·
1,999 Posts
ya i wish you luck my man and I know this goes w/o saying but you had better take LOTS of pics too.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Chris use the cosworth engine as a modle. b/c i think coswoth made a 220 hp 2.0 block. im going to shoot for 250hp by useing the cosworth engine like a modle.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
damn i put header[rolleyes] ooooppps, someone knew what i meant. . .[goofydrunk]

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am still waiting on Mike at hilbish to get back to me on if the valve springs are upgraded on the FR head.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts