Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wagon has developed an engine vibration. It vibrates through out the car. It's pretty bad at idle, although ive noticed it runs rough on the freeway as well.
I changed the trans and torque mount woth new ones. I used an extra passenger side mount I had that's older. I have no idea if it's good or not. Im ordering A new one today.
Ill be changing spark plugs as well since its already on my list of to-do's before it gets cold out.
Any thing else that could cause this vibration?
It is really annoying.
I dont expect it to be perfect but ive never had a vibration like this in a car.

I have the intake flapper things disabled, any chance those could cause this issue?

Why are there two different brackets for the passenger side mount? Meaning the bracket the bolts to the body.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the passenger side mount. They just fail and it's exactly as you described. I've been looking to see if there's a way to rebuild a factory one so it's not hydraulic but was stupid and tossed my old one when I cleaned.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks.
Its just unnerving because it feels lime something is off balance or something internally.

My 2.3l didn't have anything like this happen and that has 240,000 miles on it. This Has just under 200,000 miles. But it hasnt really been taken care of though. And it was in an accident. Who ever "fixed" it, must have made a few trips to home depot because they used ever kind of screw you can think of to hold everything together...and a few cans of paint match spray paint..
So natually the whole front clip just rattles to no end. VERY agrivating.
Fixing it and undoing the hackery is a slow process. I finally found a matching donor car with good fenders and hood. But ill have to get an unpainted bumper cover though

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dont worry buddy, if got all brandnew mounts on mine and guess what, it still viberates at idle not as bad but it only was smooth for 2 or 3 days then back to the same song and dance

·
Registered
725 Posts
The wagon has developed an engine vibration. It vibrates through out the car. It's pretty bad at idle, although ive noticed it runs rough on the freeway as well.

I changed the trans and torque mount woth new ones. I used an extra passenger side mount I had that's older. I have no idea if it's good or not. Im ordering A new one today.

Ill be changing spark plugs as well since its already on my list of to-do's before it gets cold out.

Any thing else that could cause this vibration?

It is really annoying.

I dont expect it to be perfect but ive never had a vibration like this in a car.

I have the intake flapper things disabled, any chance those could cause this issue?

Why are there two different brackets for the passenger side mount? Meaning the bracket the bolts to the body.

Thanks in advance.
Just make sure you use a OEM passenger side mount definitely the one that likes to make the vibration when it's bad.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,367 Posts
Really helps to use a new oem one vs a used one.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my experience the dog bone if not oem will viberate like you decided to use a rock instead of a motor mount and honestly even the oem mounts dont last long. In my experience at least which is why I wonder if I put mine in wrong but even with brand spanking new mounts mine was only so smooth for 3 days max then it came back

·
Registered
861 Posts
Its just unnerving because it feels lime something is off balance or something internally.

My 2.3l didn't have anything like this happen and that has 240,000 miles on it.
You must have just lucked out, b/c the passenger mount is still mostly crap. Mine started failing around 90K, dumping specs of fluid under/around it. The engine would rock with every shift, but a new Moto PSM smoothed it back out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wagon vibration

I just sold my 2003 Focus ZTW, so I'm Focusless for the first time in about 12 years. I've owned two Focus wagons, both with Zetec engines. That being said, I would say that the engine mounts on ANY of these is a definite weak point. I'm speaking of the MK1 because that's all I've owned. I changed all three supports multiple times on my car, and I can only echo what a few others have said:
>> Only the Ford OEM mounts seem to be worth a darn. You can get Chinese versions really, really cheap on ebay, and they initially look great and even work...for a short period of time. Then you'l be switching them again.
>> Not sure about the Duratec, but on the Zetec it's almost always the passenger side hydraulic mount that goes. I had to change one of those out in the middle of the night in the parking lot of an Autozone in Williamsburg, VA while on a family vacation!
>> The dogbone type mount that's lower-center is my second-most failed support. I tried once using a "performance" type urethane cushion mount, and it nearly rattled us out of the car. Quickly went back to the OEM type.
>> The third mount is usually referred to as the transmission mount. On the Zetecs it's beneath the air filter housing. I seldom had this one to fail, but I did have one to go.

Changing all of these mounts is very easy for anyone that has a modest assortment of tools and a jack with block of wood to temporarily support the engine at the oil pan. Before selling my 2003 wagon last week, I changed the passenger mount and dog bone center mount in my driveway with my trusty hydraulic jack in about 30 minutes.

Your annoying rattle could be coming from something else, but my bet would be on the engine mounts.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a urethane rear motor mount on two of my vehicles they definitely add vibration.
They are still on my 2 cars they really do help with performance with eliminating engine and transmission movement they get better as they break in.

In the Fiesta ST community pretty much everybody upgrades the rear motor mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses.

I took the advice and just went to ford and got the oem mount. It costed more but it was the mount and bracket all assembled already. It was worth it.

I only swapped my mount for a used you to see if anything changed so i could get an idea of what I was dealing with.
It went from an rattle/vibration to a hum/vibration.
Now combine that with the rattles of a horrible assembly and this intake drone and it about drove me nuts....
Now it's just body rattles which i can tolerate but they will hopefully be gone in the next few weeks as I swap body parts.
But the intake drone is pretty annoying. I've read others having a similar issue. I'll have to make a new thread about that issue though..

Do the poly mounts (specificly the dog bone mount) tolerate cold temps well? It tends to get a little nippy here in Minnesota.

Thanks again. The advice is appreciated

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just be aware that these mount the ones I bought from ford fidnt last long at all. Maybe a few days and the hum/viberation was back but I'm a freak about my cars so maybe it's just me and I'm not to sure on that one but I'd imagine about the same as these rubber ones

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I took the advice and just went to ford and got the oem mount. It costed more but it was the mount and bracket all assembled already. It was worth it.

I only swapped my mount for a used you to see if anything changed so i could get an idea of what I was dealing with.
It went from an rattle/vibration to a hum/vibration.
Now combine that with the rattles of a horrible assembly and this intake drone and it about drove me nuts....
Now it's just body rattles which i can tolerate but they will hopefully be gone in the next few weeks as I swap body parts.
But the intake drone is pretty annoying. I've read others having a similar issue. I'll have to make a new thread about that issue though..

Do the poly mounts (specificly the dog bone mount) tolerate cold temps well? It tends to get a little nippy here in Minnesota.

Thanks again. The advice is appreciated
The performance mounts will tolerate the cold.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Absolutely get the polyurethane mount for the dogbone. Search eBay for just the inserts, cost less, just have to clean out the old mount from all the old rubber, wire wheel in a drill does the trick nicely. Replacing that mount is one of the single best things I've done. Polyurethane inserts from energy suspension. And replace that passenger side mount, they suck point blank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pizzaboy is correct. Change the passenger side mount. If it were me, I would change all 3 mounts. Passenger side, driver side and the lower mount. Do yourself a favor, get Motorcraft parts for this job. They last much longer, and are not prone to failure like the chinese crap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts