Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I start up my '05 ST w/ 2.3L Duratec and notice a strange noise coming from the engine - very loud. It seems to be coming from the valve cover area and is a loud metallic ticking - almost like a bad lifter in an OHV engine. The car has given me zero problems and I change my oil every 3K using Mobil 1 5W20. The car seems to run fine, not running hot just the loud tick. The car has almost 50K on it so the warranty has definitely expired. Any ideas on what could be the cause?

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
How do you drive the car? It sounds like a lifter or there could be some water on the serpentine belt. My car gets a soft tick when water is on the belt.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
How cold was it this morning when you started the car? Almost every car i've ever had has sounded awful when i start it on real cold mornings. Did the noise go away after you let the car warm up?

My D23 sounds kinda bad when i start it on real cold mornings. I've run synthetic oils in it and recently switched to amsoil.

·
Registered
117 Posts
could be a lifter that has small particles of dirt in it. run either seafoam or CDC through your oil. it helps clean the internal components of your motor. In my old chevy truck, i developed a noisy lifter, and one bottle of CDC cleared up the noise in 20 minutes of driving down the road. i have heard great things about seafoam, but have not had the need 2 use it yet. i bought some for my stepfather, and he is gonna try it on his next oil change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was cold this morning - 25ish but the noise didn't go away after warm up, it was less but still noticable. FociZX4ST, I drive the car pretty hard but maintain all my cars religiously. I need to examine it more closely when I get home - I'm just afraid there is some internal issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice - only been 800 miles since I changed my oil but think I'm going to drain and replace now and try Seafoam or similar product.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think I have the exact same ticking.. I have no idea what it is, but I've had it since I had the car. Brand new.. havent had any problems.. thought it was just normal haha

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a similar ticking sound come from my engine too...although I can only hear mine when the hood is open, and it too has always done it sine I got it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's always been some valvetrain noise from my Duratec but this latest tick is quite noticeable even with the hood closed.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The ticking you are hearing could also be a fuel injector. Every vehicle I have owned with injectors has ticked (the sound is the injector firing). I would run some injector cleaner in the fuel to see if that clears it up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Closer inspection last night in the garage seems to indicate the sound is coming from the #1 cylinder (closest to the passenger side). RPM's change the frequency of the ticking - speeds up with engine RPM. I'll buy some injector cleaner tonight and change my oil this weekend.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The duratecs don't use a lifter arm. The cam lobe acts directly upon a bucket that sits over the valve stem and spring actuating it directly.

By chance does the AC being on affect this noise? I know my AC compressor makes a loud ticking noise that is especially audible right after I shut the car down and the motor whines down. If the compressor isn't engaged it doesn't make the sound. I would look into that.

But as people have said above the Dtecs motor is just plain noisy. Its almost embarrasing that I can almost hear my injectors ticking above my exhaust note at idle..

·
Registered
798 Posts
Its the fuel injector firing. It can't (or shouldn't) be the coil pack. If it was the coil then it is grounding somewhere. I am sure that isn't the case. I have a 2.3L and I hear it too. Anyone else notice the power steering pump making a noise like there is a vacuum leak? I found that too. I was concerned at first but then I realized it was the pump making the noise. So no worries, it's just the injectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good suggestion regarding the AC, mine is noisy when engaged but in this particular instance, no the compressor was not on. I wouldnt' be so concerned if the noise hadn't just surfaced - to date the AC compressor was the only noise that overpowered the exhaust - maybe mine is just a "late bloomer"

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Good suggestion regarding the AC, mine is noisy when engaged but in this particular instance, no the compressor was not on. I wouldnt' be so concerned if the noise hadn't just surfaced - to date the AC compressor was the only noise that overpowered the exhaust - maybe mine is just a "late bloomer"
Your sure the compressor isn't on? Even with the button "off" the compressor will still cycle on and off if it is in the foot/windshield or windshield position FYI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have tried different heater settings same results, the "tick" is still present - 07FocusST your explanation seems to fit, I'm trying some Lucas fuel injector cleaner so we'll see what that does. I'll let everyone know the results. Thanks to everyone who has provided advice so far, this is a great site!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried Lucas fuel system cleaner and BP Ultimate and the "tick" seems slight better - now resembles the sound of my grandmothers old electric sewing machine.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The injectors will always tick, it seems they will be louder when they are getting dirty. I had a cousin that had Ford rebuild the motor in his Ranger twice before it was determined to be the injectors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts