Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I attended a RallyCross up in WA. I was a "rougher" than normal course.
On my second run the engine just died. (but I got the fastest FWD run of the day on my first one[:D] )

I checked the fuel cutoff switch and all the fuses. The engine management fuse was blown. I replaced that and it just blew again. So I towed it back to the dealer, but I did not tell them what I was doing when it blew so I could keep my warranty for now.
They could not find the problem (they also could not comunicate with the computer) but they were able to reset the computer by unhooking the battery. It runs fine now, and I carry a wrench and fuse just in case.

My question is: What could have caused this, and what could I do to prevent it in the future? Like I said it was a very rough course. Something didn't like all the jarring around and made the computer freak out. I may not have a problem on the smooth OR courses.

BTW it's a 2005 ZX3 2.0 Duratec with 18,000 miles.

And I know the first suggestion is going to be: "Don't off-road your new Focus!"
But I have two more races in this season and I don't want to give up my points (the WA one did not count, it was just for fun).
And I'm hopelessly addicted to Rally.

Much thanks ahead of time.[thumb]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks [:)]

I'm thinking the same thing. There were points on my second run (before it died) that felt more like flight than driving. It was rough and I pushed it too hard. I'll stick to the local events now.
Alot of other more prepared cars left on flatbeds as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same thing happen. Engine management fuse blew. Going up hill and the engine died just after a down shift into higher RMP. Ford dealer service center said that was a new one on them. It only has 70kmiles. It is in the shop and I hope they actually find the problem that caused the fuse to blow so I don't have to keep a stash of 20A fuses for the rest of the cars life. Searching on the net, not much pops up for this problem so it is probably not common.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What the Ford shop said.

They said it was the IGNITION TRANSFORMER CAPACITOR. It's on top of the engine right near the oil fill cap I believe.
Where the two wires entered the capacitor housing, looked like they both backed out (probably a cheap crimp job) and frayed coming in contact with each other. Lots of melted copper wire. Should have noticed this myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
BTW, Wanted to submit photo, but forgot how. Can any one instruct me how to attach the "URL". I tried on previous post but it didn't work.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
They said it was the IGNITION TRANSFORMER CAPACITOR. It's on top of the engine right near the oil fill cap I believe.
Where the two wires entered the capacitor housing, looked like they both backed out (probably a cheap crimp job) and frayed coming in contact with each other. Lots of melted copper wire. Should have noticed this myself.
Damn! You beat me to it. I've seen this twice before. Same thing, the wire backed out and shorted to ground. I posted this on another topic a couple months ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts