Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is consuming oil as I stated in another thread, but is making great compression. I'm looking to replace the PCV, and possibly build a catch can system at the same time, so that I can more accurately monitor any oil consumption. (Yes I'm nervous, as I just put this motor in the car.) Anyone have examples of a how to on putting a catch can on their duratec. Where they mounted it, what can they used, etc? I want to get everything, then just do an install over a weekend.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
This is a huge debate in the Boost forum on any thread that is made about it. Everyone has opinions on what is right and wrong. No real consensus on the proper way to run a catch can setup is ever made.

Run a quick search in just that section; I know it may be different for boost but you might be able to pull some good info from there. I never could put it all together to decide on the best setup.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked thru it a lot, and found no useful information, just arguing. I'm looking for someone who has a duratec catch can setup on their car, and can just show me how they did it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
its usually placed between the intake tube and valve cover? In the duratecs case the hard plastic line going from the back of the engine to the intake tube where about Useless box1 was/is.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
its usually placed between the intake tube and valve cover? In the duratecs case the hard plastic line going from the back of the engine to the intake tube where about Useless box1 was/is.
I ran one between the intake and VC for a little while, not a drop of oil! I was told that setups worthless.. Wound up blocking off the hole in the intake and putting a small filter on the VC with no issues.

Id think youd need some sort of PCV block off plate (under the Intake mani)with a fitting? then run that to the can.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a make shift catch can off of the valve cover vent right now, ran it almost 200 miles, not a drop in it. I was thinking for the PCV one, just run it off of where the hose mounts to the PCV, and then to a catch can. Then block off the bung where the house mounts to the IM? That way I could see if the PCV is sending a lot of oil thru?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Top Speed has a new duratec PCV block off plate. Hit them up; they have a picture in the new build thread in the boost section.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You DO NOT want to block off the PCV to the lower part of the block , It must stay where the engine can breath from below the head

Tom
Hey Tom, the Top Speed delete plate looks like it has an -AN fitting on it. I guess you're just removing the valve. I've been thinking about it though and don't really see the benefit to doing this. (I guess unless you have a track only vehicle)

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
He is saying not to block it off. Removing the pcv and blocking it are two different things. With my catch can, I blocked the pcv line on the intake manifold then I routed the pcv hose directly to the can along with the valve cover breather going to the bottom of my catch can and a vacuum line from the top of the can to a port in between the air filter and turbo. Oil consumption is pretty much non existant and it also fixed a vacuum leak from the pcv hose.

Edit: I have a draw thru setup it might need to be routed differently for a blow thru.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
How come you don't just vent your can to atmosphere and plug the intake port?

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Easy way to tell if its your PCV. Are you blowing smoke out your tail pipe. If you pcv isn't doing its job it will let oil into your intake and you will burn it noticeably.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
You DO NOT want to block off the PCV to the lower part of the block , It must stay where the engine can breath from below the head

Tom
Like PSUrivie said; their plate removes the valve and has a AN fitting on it to run to a catch can or just dump it to the ground. Its pictured in Brian's new build thread in the boost section.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Like PSUrivie said; their plate removes the valve and has a AN fitting on it to run to a catch can or just dump it to the ground. Its pictured in Brian's new build thread in the boost section.
Thats what I meant above, I said "block off plate with a fitting" for lack of a better term

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is saying not to block it off. Removing the pcv and blocking it are two different things. With my catch can, I blocked the pcv line on the intake manifold then I routed the pcv hose directly to the can along with the valve cover breather going to the bottom of my catch can and a vacuum line from the top of the can to a port in between the air filter and turbo. Oil consumption is pretty much non existant and it also fixed a vacuum leak from the pcv hose.

Edit: I have a draw thru setup it might need to be routed differently for a blow thru.
Have any pics of your catch can, and where you mounted it?

Easy way to tell if its your PCV. Are you blowing smoke out your tail pipe. If you pcv isn't doing its job it will let oil into your intake and you will burn it noticeably.
Yeah, or the motor is just burning oil on its own...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts