Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've got a few questions and I've used the search bar so don't be a douche just looking for knowledge. Bout to pick up a 06 ZX4 ST SAP and I wanted to know if a speed3 tranny will swap in? What about a Euro ST or MK2 RS 6 speed tranny? When the new beloved 13 ST comes out it shud have a 2.0 Ecoboost duratec right? So then the 6speed tranny from that shud mate to a D23 right?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. It's not that I want it to drag but to save gas On freeway and that's what I loved about doing the twistys with a SVT cus those 1st 2 gears rocked. So I know the euro ST and rs are all about windys and the new ST will be also. I just feel that there shud be SOME WAY to turn our STs into 6speeds

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish we could get some more answers I mean it's been 6 years since the zx4 ST cameout. Got to be someway to make it 6 speed

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
its not going to save gas money, you would be running pretty much the same rpm at highway speeds with either transmission. And know i dont belive any of those 6 speed will swap in

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
The only one that might even be remotely close to working is the Mazdaspeed3 one.

I don't see why not, it's still the Duratec family. It's just that it's never been done before. Ever.

If it does fit, you would have a problem with the axles, BUT 1st gen Mazda3 LCA, strut, and spindle will bolt onto a Focus, but the spline count is different so you can't use Focus axles. That's why you use the Mazdaspeed3 axles.

So... if a Mazdaspeed3 trans will fit the Duratec, effectively you could have a ST with a 6spd and 5 lug conversion (rears bolt on).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only one that might even be remotely close to working is the Mazdaspeed3 one.

I don't see why not, it's still the Duratec family. It's just that it's never been done before. Ever.

If it does fit, you would have a problem with the axles, BUT 1st gen Mazda3 LCA, strut, and spindle will bolt onto a Focus, but the spline count is different so you can't use Focus axles. That's why you use the Mazdaspeed3 axles.

So... if a Mazdaspeed3 trans will fit the Duratec, effectively you could have a ST with a 6spd and 5 lug conversion (rears bolt on).
See this is what I was hoping was possible. So is it the gen1 MS3 LCAs, struts, and spindles or just a reg gen1 mazda3 sedan/hatch parts?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
See this is what I was hoping was possible. So is it the gen1 MS3 LCAs, struts, and spindles or just a reg gen1 mazda3 sedan/hatch parts?
Just has to be Mazda3. But idk if the MS3 hubs have a different spline count than regular ones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet means it'll be cheaper. So correct me if I'm wrong but the ms3 is based on the zx5 platform and the sedan is same platform as zx4 right

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Sweet means it'll be cheaper. So correct me if I'm wrong but the ms3 is based on the zx5 platform and the sedan is same platform as zx4 right
Neither. The Mazda3 is based off the Ford C1 platform, so technically it's closer to the MK2 Focus we didn't get. Our platform is C170.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So then technically it would be easier for someone to convert a mazda3 hatch into a st225 or mk2 FRS?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts