Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL DPS6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
So I bought a $600 ford ranger with the 2.3 Duratec. It’s a 2005 and has 144K miles. It was running rough. Th body is straight and otherwise a nice truck. PO bought it was the head gasket. Compression test showed 190psi on 1 and 3 and less than 10 on 2 and 4. I pulled the head and found holes in exhaust valve on cylinder 2 and 4. What would cause this? The PO said it ran well right up to the point where it started running rough on the interstate. He pulled over and called a tow truck. He doesn’t remember it overheating or anything obvious.
Any thoughts?

Easier to start here than start a new membership on a Ranger forum 😉
Automotive tire Art Circle Pattern Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
351 Posts
This seems to be a theme on some of the early duratecs. I dunno why, so sorry if I'm wasting a post. Here's an SMA video of a similar thing happening on a 2.5L escape of around the same era.

·
Registered
19,028 Posts
Burned valve and worse. Too lean for too long or a partially clogged cat to keep driving, the stackup of capped in exhaust that cannot get free then melts the valve to go molten and then pieces break off it. A crushed exhaust pipe can do it too.

Insufficient valve clearances to hold valve open will do it too.

·
Registered
2007 Focus 2.0L 4 door sedan
18 Posts
I know running lean can cause burnt valves, but those combustion chambers seem sort of clean. I think when the engine burns lean, the combustion chambers look much cleaner. I wonder if there were any codes before this issue occurred.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Focus SEL DPS6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know running lean can cause burnt valves, but those combustion chambers seem sort of clean. I think when the engine burns lean, the combustion chambers look much cleaner. I wonder if there were any codes before this issue occurred.
thanks for the replies. I bought the truck for $600 and sold it for $1,000. For whatever reason, resourcing a used engine was more than the truck is worth. Rebuilding seemed just as bad of an option. Guy at work wanted the frame/body since his was Swiss cheese. Worked out well.

hard to believe the guy before me ran it hard as he was an older guy that didn’t seem like the type. I do think the lean running might have been an issue from what I have read elsewhere.
I find it odd that it blew two holes in different cylinders at the same time.

thanks, again.

william

1 - 7 of 7 Posts