Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

was watching a documentary on Caterham Sport Cars. Now what I found interesting was that they use the Ford Duratec 2.0lt with a Supercharger fitted. Now in saying this the supercharger should fit our engine as well with no problem. Considering this it would be an awesome gain as there engine puts our 350hp. Now that would be nice. Going to start looking into this and see what the dollars are to get one and fit it.

Anyone had a look at this at all??

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Hi Guys,

was watching a documentary on Caterham Sport Cars. Now what I found interesting was that they use the Ford Duratec 2.0lt with a Supercharger fitted. Now in saying this the supercharger should fit our engine as well with no problem. Considering this it would be an awesome gain as there engine puts our 350hp. Now that would be nice. Going to start looking into this and see what the dollars are to get one and fit it.

Anyone had a look at this at all??
Compression ratio is a little bit on the high side on the N/A 2.0L...

So maybe a head swap (with the ST) would be required but it means camshafts would be different and I don't know if tuners have access to modify this in the regular PCM....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats interesting as I have seen many cars here in Australia with superchargers fitted to standard factory engines. Would be interesting to give it a go. The power gains would be very interesting though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thats interesting as I have seen many cars here in Australia with superchargers fitted to standard factory engines. Would be interesting to give it a go. The power gains would be very interesting though.
Most factory engines don't have a 12:1 compression ratio.

Now I did turbocharge my Contour, but the stock compression on the 3L engine is ~10:1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The FRS/BRZ engine has 12.5:1 compression and a gaggle of supercharger and turbo kits out so I don't buy that the compression is holding back the development. I'd say the ST has killed the FI 2.0NA focus. By the time you build an SE to ST spec you'd have been cheaper to just get the ST.

With that being said if a company like Jackson racing came out with an sc kit for the focus I would consider buying it lol.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yup definitely interested in this... especially if the car keeps giving me shit I'm gonna void the hell out of my warranty and buy better parts for it...since ford can't get it right

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I was told the SVT Focus at 10.2 compression back in 2002 wouldnt hold up to boost and that was the thinking 13 years ago , yet we made 320HP to the wheels on the stock SVT engine over and over again

Today were at 12-1 compression and until some one tries we wont know , my opinion is it wont be an issue

I just need some one to bring me a 5 speed to get started on the first kit in Feb

Tom

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can the supercharger work?, sure it can. The big question is how well. The 12.0:1 compression will for sure be too high for 93 octane pump gas to properly make use of the supercharger. The timing will be way retarded along with needing extra fuel to control the EGT's and to slow the burn. Let's not leave out cylinder pressure and parts durability. Even boosted race motors need less compression compared to N/A race motors. Yes some of the class specific boosted motors have up to 12:1 compression because the turbo or supercharger is too small for the c.i.d, but they still use racing fuel. Either way I don't recommend trying it unless its a play toy with good fuel.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Can the supercharger work?, sure it can. The big question is how well. The 12.0:1 compression will for sure be too high for 93 octane pump gas to properly make use of the supercharger. The timing will be way retarded along with needing extra fuel to control the EGT's and to slow the burn. Let's not leave out cylinder pressure and parts durability. Even boosted race motors need less compression compared to N/A race motors. Yes some of the class specific boosted motors have up to 12:1 compression because the turbo or supercharger is too small for the c.i.d, but they still use racing fuel. Either way I don't recommend trying it unless its a play toy with good fuel.
Anyway the TI-VCT have dynamic compression ratio do maybe its doable...

It's a matter of playing with camshafts settings in the PCM...

if we retard the cams we get less compression...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Anyway the TI-VCT have dynamic compression ratio do maybe its doable...

It's a matter of playing with camshafts settings in the PCM...

if we retard the cams we get less compression...
And could lose power playing that game. It's always possible to "make it work", but how much power are you really gaining?.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
And could lose power playing that game. It's always possible to "make it work", but how much power are you really gaining?.
I feel you will gain enough worth the cost of doing the turbo kit or I wont make a turbo kit with out some one knowing you have to do a built engine with it

But till we try it we wont know

Tom

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Another thing is ... will the N/A 2.0L (stock everything) be strong enough (internals) for a turbo application...

It's a big question mark over that.

-New camshafts
-New head
-Forged Pistons & conrod
-New crankshaft
-Oil pump upgrade (enough for the turbo too)
-New Ex. Header
-New Intake Man.

-MTX-75 diff. upgrade
-Axle upgrade

Otherwise you are just better going with the ST engine transplant. (cheaper)

Can wait to have Tom test it...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Out of that list, the head, crank and intake Mani most likely dont need to be replaced. The stock cams should be fine too unless you want something spec's for more power/driveability. Sure some of it might need to be worked over to be more efficient but for the most part the weak points will probably be pistons and rods.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Another thing is ... will the N/A 2.0L (stock everything) be strong enough (internals) for a turbo application...

It's a big question mark over that.

-New camshafts
-New head
-Forged Pistons & conrod
-New crankshaft
-Oil pump upgrade (enough for the turbo too)
-New Ex. Header
-New Intake Man.

-MTX-75 diff. upgrade
-Axle upgrade

Otherwise you are just better going with the ST engine transplant. (cheaper)

Can wait to have Tom test it...
May I ask where your getting this from

-New camshafts ( why would these have to be changed , up to about 375-400 to the wheels stock cams are best )
-New head ( stock head will make 400HP no problem just changing springs nothing else )
-Forged Pistons & conrod ( forged pistons / eagle rods )
-New crankshaft , ( Stock crank will be good to 600HP easy )
-Oil pump upgrade (enough for the turbo too) ( oil pump needs nothing but a little work for more flow with a dremmel )
-New Ex. Header ( Well sure you will need a turbo manifold )
-New Intake Man. ( My opinion like the previous years of Focus plastic intake and seeing a 2012 cut in half that I cut , the stock intake will easily hold 20-25psi )

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Out of that list, the head, crank and intake Mani most likely dont need to be replaced. The stock cams should be fine too unless you want something spec's for more power/driveability. Sure some of it might need to be worked over to be more efficient but for the most part the weak points will probably be pistons and rods.
Exactly , Eagle Rods , Forged Pistons , ARP head and main studs and I am 100% sure I can make 300+ to the wheels with this engine all else being stock and with FAR for TQ the the ST , I think the ST is lack luster in the performance area at best , I am not a ST fan at all

Tom

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Do we even know for sure if the intake manifold / supercharger from the duratec 2.0 will fit the 2.0 TI-VCT GDI
The intake manifold is not interchangeable as the shape of the ports are different on the GDI Ti-VCT version of the Duratec 2.0 v.s. the port injected version. Only the exhaust manifold side of the equation is close enough to still use modified versions (needs a longer flex pipe) of the old duratec header.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts