Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me dumb, lol, but of the 2012 Focus's I've seen on the lot, I can't recall the answer to this question, and I guess it's just because I wasn't really looking at this when I was looking at cars.

Does the 2012 Focus have any sort of factory window tinting on the rear windows? My Focus isn't due in until the 15th, but my current 2005 Escape has factory tinting on all of the rear windows, and it's rather dark too. I'm not sure if this was because it was a Limited or not, and it's not listed as a feature on my window sticker for it. I know others have talked about tinting their windows to a certain level, just wasn't sure if the car came with factory tinting or not.

THanks!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Often times dealerships can tint your windows for you. I don't know of a lot of cars that get it from the factory. May have been dealer tinted before you got it?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Mine is most certainly tinted. It's not film, tinted when the glass was made. There is no doubt in my mind that it's tinted...hold up a piece of truly clear glass next to it and you'll see.

Maybe not all are tinted, but mine is. It is pretty light, not terribly noticeable.

As I recall, federal regulations regarding tint are much more lax on trucks and SUVs (for whatever reason, I dunno), which is probably why your Escape had dark tint on the rears. That's what I read a while back, at least, and explains why trucks and similar vehicles often have dark tint straight from the factory, while cars do not.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Often times dealerships can tint your windows for you. I don't know of a lot of cars that get it from the factory. May have been dealer tinted before you got it?
My dealer in Bangor, ME just offered to bring my FF (once it arrives) over to a highly rated local tint shop for me so that once I take delivery, the tinting will be done. That is a tempting proposition.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As I recall, federal regulations regarding tint are much more lax on trucks and SUVs (for whatever reason, I dunno), which is probably why your Escape had dark tint on the rears. That's what I read a while back, at least, and explains why trucks and similar vehicles often have dark tint straight from the factory, while cars do not.
Correct. Federal regs require 70% light transmittal all around for passenger cars. Trucks, Vans, SUV's, Station Wagons are required to have 70% light transmittal for the windshield and front windows only. Some States may allow you tint your passenger car windows, mine DOES NOT!!!!, but the cars must leave the factory meeting the Federal regs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is most certainly tinted. It's not film, tinted when the glass was made. There is no doubt in my mind that it's tinted...hold up a piece of truly clear glass next to it and you'll see.

Maybe not all are tinted, but mine is. It is pretty light, not terribly noticeable.

Mine is also tinted glass, it's definitely not film. I've actually never seen factory windows tinted as dark as what they are on my Escape, you can see very little when looking in from the outside. I'm the only owner of the Escape too, so I know it wasn't done by anyone else, but it's definitely tinted glass and not film.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question though....looks like I will need to setup an appointment to have the rear windows tinted. Here in Michigan, we ARE allowed to tint the front, and windshield, but no more than 4" down from the top.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my 2011 Acura MDX the back windows, rear passenger, side, and hatch windows were tinted dark from the factory.

·
Registered
671 Posts
no pretty sure focus doesn't have factory tinting
wrong. Yes the back windows have tints. While they may not be as dark as the tints typically seen on factory-tint SUVS, Mini-Vans, etc they DO have tints and it IS noticeable. They even have a name for it. Look closely in the rear passenger window and it tells you that they are tinted. When I get home I'll get the exact name of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I am not mistaking most cars have a slight tint from factory....like 5%. Or in tint terms the windows are 95% light transmissive.

·
Registered
968 Posts
On my 2011 Acura MDX the back windows, rear passenger, side, and hatch windows were tinted dark from the factory.
My old Eddie Bauer Explorer had dark factory tint like that, it was nice to not need sunshades for the offspring in the backseat.

Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 12 of 12 Posts