Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the A/C cycles on and off a lot. I have had the compressor replaced once before, i just would like to know if the relays are trying to go out. It has been about 89-95 degrees here in Lubbock,Tx

thanks
[dunno]

P.S. it feels and sounds like the compressor kicks on and then off within 15secs

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It could be a relay issue, or it could be that you are low on freon. If you are low on freon, you may have a leak (probably O rings).

·
Registered
258 Posts
The normal method for the compressor to cycle is by varying suction pressure, and if freon quantity is a bit low, the compressor will run for a few seconds, drop the pressure too low, and cycle off. Once the compressor cycles off, the gas will start to accumulate again, and the compressor will come on again, repeating the cycle. It's important to put a set of gauges on the system and see what it is really doing before anything else. The low side connection on a Focus is hidden under the passenger side inner fender. You could get by by using one of the Walmart gas kits that has a short hose and a real gauge on top of the can, but air conditioning service is best done by an air conditioning shop if it's more than low gas volume.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts