Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PHP:
I've seen a lot of people wanting to do this, and getting mixed responses and different threads on the topic [idea]

I've been running this for over 2 years without issue. No CELs, no issues whatsoever. I know it's not the prettiest thing, and I don't care, it works and that's all that matters to me. Anyone wanting to do this, all I can say is Take your time. The edges are rough because I didn't have my dremel, but I made do. I think mine's worked so well because I left a small amount of the flange at the end, I did so in hopes the air would hit the MAF with the least amount of turbulence. I left the bottom of the air box installed, and the snorkel, the filter sits quite nicely on it, plus the added air from the snorkel, and the piece of mind that water Will Not hit it. [:)]

The pics aren't the best, my apologies, but they'll make do for now.

I'm sure I'll get flack from some as it's not pretty, but, it works, and has so for a couple years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you get a chance, purchase a quality air filter. I know people are divided in which air filter is good... but I have personally seen the dust and particles built up in intakes that had spectre brand filters. The engines built today rely on clean sensors and tight component tolerances. Dirt, road salt, dust... is all a mortal enemy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When you get a chance, purchase a quality air filter. I know people are divided in which air filter is good... but I have personally seen the dust and particles built up in intakes that had spectre brand filters. The engines built today rely on clean sensors and tight component tolerances. Dirt, road salt, dust... is all a mortal enemy.
Good tip. However, I change them Very regularly, about every 3 months. The flap on my throttle body is clean as a whistle. That's not saying some particles aren't getting past it. I do keep in mind I use cheap filters, but that's why I change them so regularly. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Good tip. However, I change them Very regularly, about every 3 months. The flap on my throttle body is clean as a whistle. That's not saying some particles are getting past it. I do keep in mind I use cheap filters, but that's why I change them so regularly. Suggestions?
K&N, Green Filters, ITG. Worth the money. I am quite partial to Green Filters, but since putting on my turbo kit, I've been told that ITG is the one to use. Smooths out the airflow the best for the MAF.

·
Registered
130 Posts
http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/products/universal-filters.html

I have the whole S&B intake on my truck. Turbocharger compressors and wheels are extremely sensitive. Even K&N filters are known to let enough grit through the media to "dust" a turbo (think sandblasting the blades). A gentleman on the other forum was kind enough to measure actual efficiency, capacity, and restriction at capacity from different filters.... if only I can dig through the old archives and find it I'll post a link.

Anyway, K&N was in the middle of the pack... and I remember AFE, amsoil, and S&B filters were within fractions of each other. None of which had the capacity of OEM filter but all had less restriction. Anyway, its your engine. But just because a filter is new doesn't mean it isn't letting fine particles pass through it. If you go with any name brand, its a lot more insurance than an autozone/ebay special.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to clean up the edges and finish, but it works so well I don't want to touch it. Once the filter is on you can't see the rougher edges anyway.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Since reading this I've read up some on filters and it seems uncertain on wether the K&N (and spectre) filters are actually worse than standard dry filters. I bought a red Spectre conical filter to use in this diy mod and now I'm scared to use it.

I ran a motorcraft filter 80,000 miles (maybe 111,000 if it was the original one when I bought my car at 30,000 miles) and recently installed an STP filter from autozone as I was awaiting these pictures. Reading the reviews and opinions here I'm now affraid the STP filter might not be any good either.

I rely on my car to start and run and damn sure don't wanna kill it by putting a less than quality air filter on it. My car averages 45 to 50,000 miles per year for work and play.

Should I avoid the Spectre? What about the STP filter in my car now?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Avoid Spectre like the plague. Seriously, go to Amazon or eBay and buy a name brand filter. I stick by Green Filter and ITG.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thinking about doing something like this, idk yet. I bought a CAI setup today I found in the junk yard, going to try and switch it up cause it looks bad.

·
Registered
753 Posts
So far ive cut the MAF tube down to size. I need to find some couplings to put it back together or just use my other MAF tube for now as seen in the picture.
The air "filter" seen in the picture is shit and can be seen through so for now ill just have to wait cause it isn't filtering shit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Even though everyone on here says they are shit, as a temporary solution those Spectre cones are like $30/$35 at Autozone. I've got a new one in the box waiting on me to make a decision on what I'm gonna do.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had it on for around 2 years. No CELs, at all. The only thing I'm noticing is when I disconnect the battery I'll get better mileage, then the ECU starts to relearn and my mileage goes down - I do believe this can be resolved with a custom tune.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts