Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there is a button combination to reset the HVAC? I know there was one for the lincoln LS dual zone.

Anyway, I just crossed over 5000 miles in my new '14 Ti hatch, and the AC has completely stopped working. I'm not 100% sure if the compressor is working or not, and haven't really been able to get a good view of the compressor pulley.

I am wondering if since this is a highly computerized car, that there could be a simple problem with the blend doors being tripped up some how, and if there was a possibility disconnecting the battery could help, or if there was a way to "reboot" the dual zone hvac? I tried searching through the forum but there wasn't really anything directly pertaining to this. As far as dual zone, it definitely does work, I can have the temp set on HI on one side and LO on the other and there is a massive difference in temperature. But if I have AC on pulling in outside air, the air is basically just ambient temperature.

--The A/C blew very very cold and worked great from time of purchase in June until now, and it abruptly stopped working all at once.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
with only 5000 miles... go directly to your dealer!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now, not to sound stupid but does the HVAC screen say AC ON? The only reason I ask is because I've found myself fidgeting with the controls and inadvertently turning the AC off even though the temperature was set for cold. Just a thought, there's an AC button on the bottom half of the unit.

As fair as the compressor, you can most likely hear the compressor clutch kicking on and off when outside the car idling on a hot/ humid day.

I would not pull the battery or reset MFT- just in case there is a NON-CEL code stored in the computer- it might help the dealer diagnose the problem quicker.

One of my friends had her AC go out within a week of ownership- I don't remember the exact details though. Make an appointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol yeah the AC light was on. Anyway I finally crawled under the car with a good enough view of the compressor, and yep there's a bunch of oil sitting under it. It's trashed. I was just wondering whether it was trying to cycle or not, by being not sure I meant I couldn't hear it over the ticking of the injectors, my 06 escape had a very audible clutch engagement and you could certainly feel whenever that clutch went on.

With this car, when it was working, I could barely notice the compressor coming on and it didn't seem to suck much power.

Well, gotta wait until next saturday to take it to the dealer. I've been a ford guy through and through for forever, but I think I should have spent my money on a '15 WRX.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the MK3 has a variable displacement compressor which I'm guessing is to help negate that power loss you feel when you accelerate with the AC on.

Take it back to the dealer- definitely no "Unable to reproduce customer concerns" here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that sounds like it could be the case ml989.

Funny thing, my 06 escape's compressor also blew up within 20,000 miles of driving it off the lot. That one had a catastrophic failure where the pulley and clutch assembly and a portion of the case separated and fell off onto the highway. The pistons of the compressor were visible. It was also in a very inconvenient spot as far as getting to my ford dealer, i was somewhere around quartzite Arizona in 115° weather, about 200 miles away from home.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I was just wondering if there is a button combination to reset the HVAC? I know there was one for the lincoln LS dual zone.

Anyway, I just crossed over 5000 miles in my new '14 Ti hatch, and the AC has completely stopped working. I'm not 100% sure if the compressor is working or not, and haven't really been able to get a good view of the compressor pulley.

I am wondering if since this is a highly computerized car, that there could be a simple problem with the blend doors being tripped up some how, and if there was a possibility disconnecting the battery could help, or if there was a way to "reboot" the dual zone hvac? I tried searching through the forum but there wasn't really anything directly pertaining to this. As far as dual zone, it definitely does work, I can have the temp set on HI on one side and LO on the other and there is a massive difference in temperature. But if I have AC on pulling in outside air, the air is basically just ambient temperature.

--The A/C blew very very cold and worked great from time of purchase in June until now, and it abruptly stopped working all at once.
Hi there,

I can look into some options. Please send me a PM with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts