Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2010 SEL with a 5 speed manual with about 125,000 miles. I'm going to be replacing the clutch soon and was planning on installing the Phoenix stage 2 kevlar clutch kit. But something that I haven't been a fan of for the first month of owning the car is how long the RPMs stay up after you get out of gear or between shifting, coming from a 84 VW Rabbit Diesel it feels and sounds awkward. After I found out it has a DMF I was wondering if anyone has had experience of doing a DMF to solid conversion and what flywheel will work. I looked at another post mentioning Exedy flywheel but their site says it doesn't fit my car.

I plan to do some performance modifications as well, nothing to crazy... Yet. I had a hard time keeping up with my dad in a TDI Beetle on the way to dinner the other night and he wasn't even trying supposedly.

Thanks in advance.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
A tune deals w/ hang throttle....Have you tried cleaning out the throat w/ carb/throttle body cleaner? Deleting the egr via tune helps. The Exedy clutch kit should fit thru early '11 models since its a mtx75 trans hooked to a D-tech motor......Yea the d/m flywheel is heavier, but its also smoother & is more flexible in traffic thanx to the spring vs a a solid mass flywheel.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
i recently replaced dual mass flywheel and clutch with a solid flywheel conversion from rock auto. was like $269 for the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. was only a stage 1 though i believe

·
Registered
21 Posts
very true 1turbofocus kit i bought was complete package including new slave, this kit also did not require new longer flywheel bolts like some kits i saw did

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the stage 2 clutch as a kit from Phoenix Friction. And a Fidanza 186021 flywheel. Fidanza states that it will fit with any clutch kit that is designed to fit with the factory flywheel and uses factory step height. Phoenix Friction is designed to fit a factory flywheel. I will update you when it is installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand felixthecat. And I appreciate your time.

So the Flywheel and clutch kit is in. And I wanted to wait to put in a week of driving in it before I returned with a update. I have put 327 of the 1000 break in miles on it so far and it exceeded my expectations.

My first expectation was more vibration, but really it isn't that much of a difference to the point that I wonder if it's just in my head, but certainly it can't be. Granted I need to replace the passenger mount so vibration was there before.

Clutch engagement felt better and wasn't heavier at all which was unexpected and feels like a BMW 3 series now. Of course the parts replaced were going bad so I can't say I wouldn't have gotten the same result with OEM parts. Shifting is now smoother but I believe that is entirely unrelated to the aftermarket parts.

Now in terms of improvements in performance it has a bigger impact then I expected, it has better throttle response. It is quicker getting up to my shift point and it surprised me a couple times on my first commute. And it pulls better in 5th gear from 55 to 70, still not what I would call quick, but much better. And it got 38 mpg on my first commute on the highway, with the last DMF commute it was getting 32.8 on the highway but when I can drive "spirited" again after the break-in period the gap may shrink.

So if anyone is wondering the Fidanza 186021 flywheel and Pheonix Friction stage 2 kit for our car is a working DMF to SMF performance upgrade. Make sure you follow the instructions given with both parts and follow the break-in period rules for both. And I had a mechanic that I know does great work do the replacement. If anyone wants pictures of the new or old parts let me know. Thank you all for your time.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Great feedback......Great you figured what matches/works w/ what......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts