Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Do the 2017s have issues? I’ve got my eye on the 2018 Titanium’s & am waiting to see where the prices are in early 2019, on the leftovers. I’ve always liked the newer body style & would consider one, although I also might just drive the heck out of my 2013 & see how it holds up, long-term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Before leaving the Ford dealer at the end of March 2018, I had done clutch replacements in several 2017 Focus vehicles. My friend, who is also a former co-worker at the same dealership, told that he was starting to see 2017 models show up more frequently with complaints of clutch shudder.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
A 2018 Focus DCT has the exact same setup as a 2012 DCT? Ford made no changes to 2017 & 2018 models, after the 2012-2016 class action?

Correct. The clutches and seals were redesigned, as was the TCM. Late 2016s onward have the latest revisions, as do any MK3/MK3.5 Focuses and Fiestas that have had parts replaced since then.

My theory is that Ford can't change the software without opening themselves to additional legal action, as making it feel like a "real" DCT would make their marketing it as an automatic borderline false advertising. Probably cheaper to replace parts until warranties are up and minimize the likelihood of more litigation.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't understand why anybody would want to buy a car with a possibility of issues. I would not touch a Ford with a DCT. The only good thing is how much money you can get off the $ price.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't understand why anybody would want to buy a car with a possibility of issues. I would not touch a Ford with a DCT.

2018 Titanium Hatchbacks are around 20k right now, new. Full 3/36 & 5/60 warranties + has as many interior options as a 40k car. I also think the new body style looks fantastic, especially since I would immediately put 18” ST wheels & 235/40/18 tires on it. That car will look similar to an ST, but still be a better daily & get outstanding MPG & cheaper to insure. So yes, I’ll consider one, depending on if the new prices dip below 20k, after the new year.

·
Registered
875 Posts
2018 Titanium Hatchbacks are around 20k right now, new. Full 3/36 & 5/60 warranties + has as many interior options as a 40k car. I also think the new body style looks fantastic, especially since I would immediately put 18” ST wheels & 235/40/18 tires on it. That car will look similar to an ST, but still be a better daily & get outstanding MPG & cheaper to insure. So yes, I’ll consider one, depending on if the new prices dip below 20k, after the new year.

Whatever floats your boat. My Fiesta ST only adds $35 to my insurance. I can't imagine a non ST being cheaper.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. My Fiesta ST only adds $35 to my insurance. I can't imagine a non ST being cheaper.

I looked at the Fiesta ST’s but most didn’t have a backup camera & the few that did were the same price as a base ST1. The Titanium package is obviously the top-of-the line & has the infotainment system, which is so nice. I’m not sure on the added insurance costs of a Focus/Fiesta ST, however I recently asked my insurance how much it would increase for a 2017 Focus RS & the cost would jump up $500 annually. Regardless of the DCT, the 2018 Titanium Hatchback is still a better all around daily vs. an ST Fiesta or Focus & many would agree with me on that.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I looked at the Fiesta ST’s but most didn’t have a backup camera & the few that did were the same price as a base ST1. The Titanium package is obviously the top-of-the line & has the infotainment system, which is so nice. I’m not sure on the added insurance costs of a Focus/Fiesta ST, however I recently asked my insurance how much it would increase for a 2017 Focus RS & the cost would jump up $500 annually. Regardless of the DCT, the 2018 Titanium Hatchback is still a better all around daily vs. an ST Fiesta or Focus & many would agree with me on that.

Different strokes for different folks. I am addicted to how the car drives. The Fiesta ST forum is a completely different world for different people. Whatever makes you happy. I drive a 14,000 pound work truck empty for a living, so a backup camera is not important to me. Just a very different mind set. I want performance you want options. My 2010 Focus is my daily driver for as long as it last. If the ST was I would just have a separate set of wheels for when it gets chilly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tom mentioned above that the later DCT are the same as well as the TCM's in them--why aren't all years warranty extended ? Wow amazing they haven't really fixed the DCT long term because when working right its AWESOME!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, new to the forums but have been reading for awhile :).

I have a 2014 ford focus SE hatch, and while it is jerky and was a learning curve, after I learned how to drive it correctly, for the most part it behaves, with only slight jerkiness. I'm a rideshare driver and after several hours of driving it can be a little rough on the shifts, probably due to the dry clutch getting hot. My only real issue was a deformed gas tank (replaced under recall) and a sensor going bad ($300, ouch.). I maintain my vehicle on the dot, every time, and run full synthetic (always) as well as a high performance oil filter, which I change everytime. 106k miles so far, factory rear breaks and surprisingly, factory windshield wipers (I live in the northwest lol) are both in great condition. Saw a reddit forum with a guy who just hit over 300k on his DCT, with only one clutch pack and TCM replacement. I'm hoping I can get the same from mine. The horror stories of the focus and DCT give me anxiety, but I'm hoping I have a "unicorn". 🦄

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a spare 2.0L and the MTX out of my 2008. I guess the good news is that eventually i can put both of them into a Mark III that I pick up for next to nothing.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts