Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Obviously there are plenty of threads concerning the problems experienced with these transmissions. Is there anyone on here that has had NO problems with the Dual Clutch transmission in their Focus? I'm curious about what percentage of these cars exhibit these problems and if it is at all possible to get one that has never had an issue.

What about those that have had clutches and/or seals and/or TCM replaced. We hear plenty about those that have had these items replaced multiple times only to have the problem return. Has anyone had the repair done just once and problem solved? If so how many miles have gone by without any further problems?

Thanks!
AJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
But seriously, I’ve had it in 3 times for tranny and the last time was at 95,000 miles. They installed the ‘F’ revision clutch, reprogrammed and I now have 145,000 miles on it with no further problems. They also replaced the seals with the upgraded version that don’t leak. All good for the last 50,000 miles!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
The DCT is really the only thing I don’t like about my 2013 Focus, with 35k miles. I’ve always loved the look of the Focus Hatchback & I like the infotainment system on my Titanium, however I just wish that the car was a traditional automatic & it didn’t shudder or sputter on acceleration. I’ve done a clutch replacement, flash updated & replaced a TCM, yet it still drives like it did in 2014, no difference whatsoever. Other than that, I always get compliments on how nice it looks & it’s very good on gas, for daily driving. I do love the 2015 & up refresh though, especially on the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm 99.99% sure that the majority of DPS6 owners do not experience problems. Even if they initially noticed that it's not quite as smooth a slushbox, I'm guessing they quit thinking about it after a couple of hundred miles or so. So at the very least, the majority of DPS6 owners probably feel neutral or positive. If you make it 25-30k without issue, you're probably fine.

That said, "majority" just means 51% or more. There is a stupid high number of DPS6 issues - more than is reasonable and why so many people are salty over Ford's response to them - but odds are still in your favor that the DPS6 in your car will be just as worry-free as a traditional auto.

To the user who has a 2018: don't believe for one second that your DPS6 is "fixed". It's not. The bad seals, soft clutches, and defective TCMs that all contributed to the excessively high failure rate in 2012-2014 DPS6s have been "fixed", but the DCT found in the Focus and Fiesta is dry. Even well-designed dry DCTs are more delicate and temperamental than wet DCTs, and the DPS6 is arguably a poor design.

Still, let me be clear: the majority of DPS6s do not have problems. You just have a significantly higher chance of having problems than you would with a traditional manual, wet DCT, or hydraulic auto. And if you have trouble, you'd better go ahead and prepare for nothing but trouble, as the "fixes" that Ford has implemented absolutely will not ever truly fix a problematic DPS6.

Go here if you want way too much information about the DPS6 and ways to deal with it if you end up with a "bad" one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I get aloooot of people have issues. And I get your response rczrider. But would like a response from people who never had to have their clutch replaced or repaired. Anyone out there?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I get aloooot of people have issues. And I get your response rczrider. But would like a response from people who never had to have their clutch replaced or repaired. Anyone out there?
What sort of response are you looking for? A show of hands? It's not like they can tell you why their DCTs never had trouble. There is no magic to it, and the reason for a faulty DCT is beyond Ford, let alone some users on an internet forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What sort of response are you looking for? A show of hands? It's not like they can tell you why their DCTs never had trouble. There is no magic to it, and the reason for a faulty DCT is beyond Ford, let alone some users on an internet forum.
My intent when I originally started the thread was simply to see if there was anyone lucky/fortunate enough to have gotten a "unicorn" of a DCT Focus that did not have any problems at all or lucky/fortunate enough to have one that got fixed on the first try and so far fixed for good.

I guess I'm curious is it even possible that you can get one of these cars without any DCT issues...

·
Registered
350 Posts
My intent when I originally started the thread was simply to see if there was anyone lucky/fortunate enough to have gotten a "unicorn" of a DCT Focus that did not have any problems at all or lucky/fortunate enough to have one that got fixed on the first try and so far fixed for good.

I guess I'm curious is it even possible that you can get one of these cars without any DCT issues...
Absolutely. Like I said, the majority of DCTs seem to be perfectly fine. It's not that none of them are good, it's just that such a large number of them are so bad and (apparently) incapable of being fixed by Ford.

Every model of car or truck, regardless of manufacturer, has its weak points, something that's known to go bad for a large number of owners. In the case of the Fiesta and Focus, it's the transmission.

To be fair, it's probably not quite as widespread as it seems; it's just that folks are far more willing to get on the internet to complain than to say their car is operating as they expected it to.

There wouldn't be as much complaining if Ford hadn't been deceptive in its marketing of the DCT. That's the reason for the lawsuits; not solely because it's a crappy transmission but because Ford misled consumers on what they were purchasing and it's a crappy transmission. No one would care if the DCT worked well and/or the fixes Ford has employed actually fixed the transmission for those who have been plagued by bad DCTs.

There's no point in worrying about it. Yours is either good or it's not. Might as well enjoy it until and unless you have a reason not to. Odds are it'll be fine [:)]

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would like to see a show of hands. All you hear is the people who had problems.
Right. Because people don't usually hop on the internet to say their car is doing what it's supposed to. That's the expectation, not that it will need the same parts replaced every 15k miles until you run out of warranty and you're left with a car that doesn't work correctly, needs $1k+ in repairs on a regular basis, and isn't worth half what similar cars from other manufacturers is worth. Go figure.

Good luck with your show of hands. It's no more representative of the percentage of DCTs that work correctly than the number of complainers (myself included) on here is representative of the percentage of DCTs that are forever defective.

Just know that the majority of DCTs are totally fine and there are things that can be done with the defective ones that mitigate the issues (tune, Sport mode, grounding, etc).

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is entirely anecdotal but also supports rczrider's point. On my city block, where those who park on the street have to move their cars every few days to accommodate the alternate side parking regulations, there are three 'regulars' who each own an MK3. Two are '12 hatches and one is a '13 sedan. I've spoken to all three of them. None has had a clutch or transmission issue and, obviously, all engage in city stop-and-go driving.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What was the point of designing a DCT in 2012 to begin with? Was it to save customers a few bucks on gas?

Why wouldn’t Ford just keep the Focus traditional automatic transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,480 Posts
Because the DCT will be / is the next generation of Auto Trans

I have owned 3 DCT Foci and loved them all but I have my Custom Tune on mine so no issues now

Tom

·
Registered
350 Posts
Because the DCT will be / is the next generation of Auto Trans
Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or is it just your opinion? Because I don't see a rush to put DCTs in the average passenger car, let alone a dry DCT.

Hydraulic autos may continue to be more expensive to produce and more complex in terms of service, but it can't really be said that they're significantly less efficient than DCTs (wet or dry) anymore.

It's because of this that I'm curious about your claim.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts