Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be fitting an aftermarket android stereo into my 2012 Focus S. The new stereo has a single female DIN connector for the AM/FM radio antenna. On the back of my OEM stereo are two Fakra antenna connectors.
After some reading I believe one is for AM/FM and the other is for DAB or satellite radio??

My question is, do I need to use a dual Fakra to DIN antenna adapter or do I just connect into a single Fakra from the vehicle harness? I see that Metra sell a part 40-EU10 for this. Also which is the AM/FM connection ... Black or White?

My stereo is made by Sony. I do not have the amp or subwoofer in the trunk, but my system does hade the centre dash mounted speaker if that helps. I do not have OEM DAB or satellite radio fitted.

Attached are some pics for clarification. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, one is usually for sat radio. Not sure which, but the connectors usually have the tabs on opposing sides. Odd because they look identical in the picture. Either way, it won't hurt to connect one up and try it out. If you get no stations, then switch plugs.

You only need to connect to one. The EU10 will work fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for pointing out the tabs. Looking at them again I can see that the connectors are slightly different so for OEM ford fitting they can't be mixed up. Looking at aftermarket adapters online they don't seem to have the differences. Those fakra connectors seems to be a regular circle. *EDIT* the Metra part does have the difference.

I did see that a number of the adapters online are for VW applications as some vehicles have "diversity" dual antennas where the head unit works out the antenna with the stronger signal and automatically switches to retain the best radio signal. It seems that Ford does not use this system as far as I can tell.

I'll grab a 40-EU10 adapter now it all makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced my radio to aftermarket one, and was wondering about bad radio signal. Double checked everything, and tried different positions if connection was just bad and no luck. Then tested the white one, and BOOM. Loud and clear sound. Changed back to black to verify bad signal and it was. Had to disassemble the fakra connector to be able to connect wires. So it seems that there might be same kind of functionality that VW has.

EDIT: Or could the other be for AM / other for FM?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so confused with this on my Focus MK3 ST. I am going into Ford today to ask

so as far as I can tell and what I have heard elsewhere is the White Fakra is "powered" meaning it is expecting power to be fed down to power a booster. without power the signal will be bad or non-existent! I have tried this as just power, power and DAB and still no luck. very confused!

I get something on the black fakra for DAB and have previously had better luck for FM too. but have also tried splitting the signal from the black fakra with bad results.

has anyone resolved this? i.e. has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket unit in a ford focus mk3 and get good reception for both FM and DAB?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 40-eu10 into a kenwood HD radio and get decent reception, it could be better with a taller antenna. when compared to my other kenwood with HD radio in a totally different car, i get the same HD stations.
I'm also using the stock siriusxm antenna Fakra lead behind the dash into an xm dock using an adapter i found on amazon. Both xm and fm radio come in fairly well.

I would check the FSM to see if there is a power lead going to the factory antenna to prove if it is powered or not. I would be pissed if idata didn't know that, maybe the maestro does and i'm not aware.

I'm using the FOC1 and Maestro MRR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts