Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys & girls

got some trobules with the 2001 focus se. i have a DTC 262, which means Missing SCP message, but dont have any clues to what the problem(s) is. the car loses power to the radio, lights and the brake and abs lights kick on. and then it all goes back to normal. it happens when i am just still not doing anything, for example at a traffic light. any ideas or help would be great.

thank you

·
Registered
303 Posts
I looked up that code at Actron's web site and didn't have much luck. All I found was that "P0262" was "Cylinder 1 Injector Control Circuit High", which is obviously unrelated to your trouble.

I have no clue what that "Missing SCP message" is all about, but with so many different electrical problems, I'd start with the battery and move inward from there. If you've got a Haynes or Chilton manual, you can trace the circuits one by one to see what they might have in common. My manuals are home (I'm at work), but I'll try to remember to check it out later. A lot of people dis those manuals, but they really do contain a lot of useful information - I used the wiring diagrams to make the fog light mod, and then a week later I read about it on the web for the first time.

Out of curiosity, has your Focus been serviced for the battery pinch bolt recall?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ikknown said:
...got some trobules with the 2001 focus se. i have a DTC 262, which means Missing SCP message, but dont have any clues to what the problem(s) is. the car loses power to the radio, lights and the brake and abs lights kick on. and then it all goes back to normal. it happens when i am just still not doing anything, for example at a traffic light. any ideas or help would be great...
DTC 262 "missing SCP message" converts directly to OBD-II code U1262 which is "SCP (J1850) communication bus fault".

So what the heck does that mean?

First of all, SCP stands for Serial Communication Protocol, which is Ford's specific flavor of the Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1850.

Simply put, SCP is data flowing across a network.

In this case, the "network" is the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) talking to the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster). Info such as vehicle speed, RPM, voltage, coolant temp, etc. is delivered to the cluster from the PCM using a data bus and speaking the SCP language.

The U1262 code, communication bus fault, suggests to me that a connector is loose somewhere. Likely suspects are the connectors on the cable from the PCM to the cluster.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Haha! I felt pretty stupid for a second, but I just checked and Actron's site comes up with nothing for U1262 for the 2001 Focus. Those dopes! Anyway, I thought about the PCM because it drives the gauges, but why would his lights go off? The ABS and radio tie into the PCM, but the lights? Oh man, now I feel stupid again...

Well, not stupid - just ignorant.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I did a Google search using the keywords: Ford "missing SCP message" and got this hit:

http://www.shane.roberts.net/obd2_15.htm

Ignore the fact it is a Mustang site, the codes are all the same. Here I got the cross-reference from DTC D262 over to U1262. From there, I logged on to the subscription-only website for auto technicians:

http://www.iatn.net

... and used the Ford-specific OBD-II code lookup in the Technical Resources Library. Note "U" codes are manufacturer-specific.

From there, I still had to figure out what SCP was, but since I'd discovered it was linked to SAE J1850 it was another quick Google search from there.

Knowledge to wipe out ignorance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts