Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2003 zts with the 2.3 in it. I recently got a check engine light and went to sears to get it checked out and they told me the code was p0117. I checked my cylinder head temp sensor and looks like the previous owner used jbweld on it where the plastic meets the brass or whatever it is. I put it back in and ordered the part. between the time that i ordered it the car started bucking hard at idle, so i figured it was due to the temp sensor. I replaced the sensor, reset the ecu. I go to turn the car back on and its still bucking. I checked the dash dtc and it read 9813 which is the battery reading lower than 10v. I replaced the battery and its still bucking, equivalent to the bucking a manual trans gives you when you dont give it enough throttle. After replacing the battery it still gives me the 9813. I'm at a loss and im hoping somebody might be able to help. thanks guys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another symptom i noticed was when i accelerate it doesnt have full power until a couple seconds and then a sudden power increase, high idle, and braking seems a lot harder.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
If you're still getting a low voltage warning after replacing the battery with a new one, check the battery terminal connections as a first step; they should be clean, tight and corrosion free. Smaller wires/connectors going to the posts should also be checked. Check the engine compartment chassis grounds while you are there.
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the battery with the car running. You should see at least 13 - 14.5V.
Most engine sensors rely on a steady reference voltage. Resolve the electrical gremlin in the charging system first. It might possibly resolve the drivability problems.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked and cleaned my terminals but I will check my grounds and test my voltage and get back here after I get off work. Thanks I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As Bx Said, That problem solved (laborious as it may be) SHOULD solve most of your "gremlins"..

Luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's one electrical problem which is causing all of it because it all happened more or less at the same time. I was just wondering if it could maybe be the alternator?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today i finally got a chance to look at the car after a long move. I cleaned my terminals and i got a ect connector off a 09 focus and spliced it onto mine. Reason for that is because the dealer told me for the new ect sensor i needed a new connector. it clipped rite on but i still have the high idle when i start the car, it drops and then a misfire. i checked the dtc on the dash and im still getting the 9813 code. anybody have an idea on how i can go about this problem?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up taking the car to a mechanic and they pulled different codes one being p0171 and p0128 so from that I took that my thermostat was stuck open and my pcv valve was bad due to a vacuum leak which is what they said. Before yesterday when I started to take a look at it, it would only give me the problem at idle but today when I went to drive to work it sounded like my car had a massive cam and a big loss in power. I know I need to fix the pcv hose and thermostat bit I'm wondering if I caused another problem by driving it in its current condition. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The 2.3 has two pattern failures: The thermostat with the plastic bail tends to fail open (check the Fusion boards on this one) and the PCV hose tends to split open for a massive vacuum leak. Unfortunately, both items are underneath the intake manifold. Good luck diagnosing your problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With some help from a friend, we managed to get my manifold off cap the manifold off and point the hose down from the pcv valve. No more shaking as it did before. Rite before we fixed it I was driving it home from work and it started to shake in a different pattern. The revs are steady but you can feel some shaking like an exhaust leak and a slight misfire. I also have a big loss of power. Has anybody had this problem when doing the pcv hose?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts